What type of radio do you use?

rdw

I have seen many topics that relate to FRS, GMRS, and ham radio, but nothing that indicates the portion of geocachers that use radio while caching. I would buy a radio if there was a good chance I could meet other cachers. So the question is...

What type of radio, if any, do you use while geocaching? (Cellular phones don't count)

I dont use ham radio, but the team does carry handheld walkies while out in the woods. It's a great way to keep in contact while we check out different locations. Each person having their own GPSR and walkie makes things so much nicer on long hikes. We can cover much more ground and find more stuff!

Here I go again replying to my own posts, but...

I just took advantage of a deal on Amazon that was not there a few days ago. I ordered the Motorola 6220 FRS in the graphite color. $50 minus a $15 mail in rebate. Through tomorrow March 31st, you can get the waterproof bag, a $22 value, for free with purchase of the graphite 6220. The only downside, the radio ships in 1-2 weeks. Overall, it seems to be a good deal. Radio + bag + shipping = ~$56. Minus the rebate is roughly $41.

I wonder if Jeremy could get a kickback on this stuff through the link on the front page, or if he only gets it for GPS sales. Might be worth a try if you are interested. It's too late for me.

rdw

I’ve been kind of surprised at how useful these devises are. On our hikes, Catherine and I have different agendas. She’s wandering around looking for birds while I do the drunken bee walk looking for the cache. We are often out of view of each others by considerable distances. This is cougar country and a woman in our neighborhood was killed by one a few years back. Under our conditions it’s just nice to be able to keep in touch and so far, these things work really well. Ours: Motorola Talkabout, T5200

creekbed%20logo%20original.gif

CreekBed.com

i monitor cb19 when traveling

5-5 frs when geocaching.

146.520mhz national simplex when traveling and geocaching.

446.ooomhz natianal simplex secondary channell when travelling and geocaching.

use the land or lose it to developers forever

----------------------------------------------

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CacheAcrossAmerica

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest_cache.asp?u=KD7MXI

http://www.cachunuts.com

The wife and I have talked to others out there that have heard of geocaching or geocache themselves, but never met on the trail. We usually talk to each other (if the trail is too hard for her) when I am out inthe field. 146.520 simplex. Sometimes on a repeater, depends on how busy the repeater is and weather I can hit it with 2.5 watts. So far seems to work good for us.

"My gps say's it RIGHT HERE".

http://www.geogadgets.com

1240 plus miles and only 8 caches?

I use a Motorola Saber I...tough little buggers... icon_smile.gif

I just bought a Yaesu FT-690 portable that will be on the way soon, but I think I'll still be using the Saber for geocaching. Either will fit nicely in my Camelback H.A.W.G.

JM-99

Note: Yes, I'm a ham. Yes, the Saber is programmed on ham frequencies. icon_smile.gif

I use a Motorola Saber I...tough little buggers... icon_smile.gif

I just bought a Yaesu FT-690 portable that will be on the way soon, but I think I'll still be using the Saber for geocaching. Either will fit nicely in my Camelback H.A.W.G.

JM-99

Note: Yes, I'm a ham. Yes, the Saber is programmed on ham frequencies. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by rdw:

What type of radio, if any, do you use while geocaching? (Cellular phones don't count)

I don't really use one yet for caching. I usually go by myself. I do have several handhelds, my favorite is the Yeasu FT-530. Although the new Rhino's look pretty good. That would have come in real handy at Disney World. icon_cool.gif

KB5VNU

inceptor

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys

quote:
Originally posted by rdw:

I don't really use one yet for caching. I usually go by myself. I do have several handhelds, my favorite is the Yeasu FT-530. Although the new Rhino's look pretty good. That would have come in real handy at Disney World. icon_cool.gif

KB5VNU

inceptor

On one of my outings, I was on the other end of the mountains from our usual repeater. So here is what I did.

I set up the home station to cross-band repeat from the 147.16 repeater to a 446.xx simplex frequency. Then I pointed the home antenna at the park we were going to.

At the park, I set the mobile radio to cross-band repeat from the 446.xx simplex freq to a 145.xx simplex freq.

On the hike, my handheld was able to work the usual repeater by using the double hop from me to the car, to the house, to the repeater. Of course, I had to ID KD9KC through KD9KC REMOTE just to keep it legal, since none of the radios had an auto CW-ID.

Just an idea you might use on your own outing.

Mike. KD9KC

i use ham 2m or carry a county issued EDACS radio. the rest of the guys on our team carry them so we can get a hold of anyone if need be.

commo while geocaching is a good idea. let people know where you will be and what you will carry. frs is VERY limited in range so if you carry frs as your primary com i would recomend a cell phone as well just in case the other station is out of range.

urbo

I have two FRS radios, but they rarely get used, I am EXTEMELY disappointed with thier range. That up to a two mile range must only be in a flat desert plain. At our vacation place in Olympia the dang things won't even reach less than a half mile away, between our trailer and the marina is only .45 miles but there is a bit of a hill you go up, then down, and the radio can't handle it.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

These units look really good to me from everything I have read. I had planned to upgrade from my e-trex sometime this spring. First I had wanted to buy a Vista then I saw an ad for the Rhinos. I like the idea of combined radio with a gps. To top it off the Rhino has a better antennae than the Vista. Hopefully I will get decent reception in tree cover. I e-mailed Garmin to find availability and cost and here is thier response.

Thanks for contacting GARMIN,

The Rino 110 will list for about $194.27, and the 120 will list for $267.84 (both prices U.S. currency). Units will probably

begin shipping to authorized GARMIN retail dealers sometime in Jun of 2002. Sorry, a specific release date not available at this time.

inceptor