geocaching.com too commercial?

k2dave

I think these people emailed me because they think that you may delete/ban them but I really don't know or havn't asked. I would expect that they emailed me instead of posting because they didn't want to identify themselves to the board so I don't feel comfortable posting them (or emailing them privatly to another).

To sum up what they said is that they have too noticed a change that focuses more on the site itself then on the activity the site promotes.

Also I must admit that the geocaching.com site is very well done although is it still rough in certain places. I am also glad to hear that you have some contigency plans just incase you drop off the planet or something.

I wouldn't worry about it too much if Jeremy makes some bad choices and basically kills off this site as another will come along - after all this isn't Cuba icon_wink.gif

----(sig line)---> Did you ever do any trail maintainence? - if so you will know that all but the most worn trails need continuous maintenance to prevent mother nature from reclaiming it. herd paths are quickly reclaimed - k2dave

quote:
Originally posted by upinyachit:

What's wrong with having links to other geocaching sites?

You could ask SEARS why they don't have links to JC PENNEY, etc.

In business you don't disparage the competition, you send people to them if their product is better for the customer, you don't help them with their business plan, you don't help them with their advertising, and you certainly don't allow them to steal from you. You also listen to your customers and provide what they want at a fair price.

I'd say Jeremy has a pretty good handle on this...

Wow, alot has been said here and I agree with all the positive post and disagree with everything you have said k2dave. If you feel there is a better caching site out there why don't you just go there, stay there and enjoy. All awhile we folks who truly enjoy this site will stay, cache, and be merry.

IMHO I think you enjoy posting and making a fuss much more than you do caching!

Pepper

Happy Cacher!

Horizontals where it's at!

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

quote:
Originally posted by Team Bohica:

My question is, what happens if Jeremy decides the money they are taking in is not enough and forces payment to access the database

I promised that long ago this would not happen.

quote:
or, God forbid, just shuts down for good?

I would have an ftp site with the database (sans the personal contact info).

Jeremy,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I guess what I'm saying is I might feel a bit better if the geocaching sport had some sort of controlling body without a vested interest in making money off of the same. I might compare it to my kid's soccer league. The league itself has no vested interest in the competition itself. It's a non-profit organization that promotes the sport. On the other hand, it does not limit others in the community from making money off of the sport (i.e. selling equipment, photos, uniforms, shoes, etc). It just wants to make sure that everyone that wants to play can and that everyone understands the rules and plays fair.

I'd still like a central authority that landowners, park managers, and the like can contact about the sport but I wish it was one group that could be contacted about any geocaching question. I'm sure you don't want to field questions about an illegally placed or a problem 'other' site cache and the same for them.

Maybe one group that is elected somehow to represent us all is what I'm talking about. How things would be enforced and rules made, I don't know but I am willing to talk about it. I would hope to get support from Groundspeak and other sites having to do with geocaching, be they commercial or just done for the love of the sport.

I do appreciate the work you and others do for the sport and would probably pay more for the service that is provided. I also want the sport to keep growing and as it does it's going to experience growing pains. Some of which you or I or anyone can't forsee.

Thanks,

The Bohican

[This message was edited by Team Bohica on October 12, 2002 at 02:03 PM.]

quote:
In other words, it's not about the sport any more, it's all rules, regulations and legal stuff that has nothing to do with the core sport itself. Is that your problem?

I think that is a good way to put it.

What I do know for sure is that I have noticed a change in this site and I dislike the general changes - well dislike is too strong a word - more like "less like".

Part of the reason could very well be all the new rules that sprung up like don't bury the caches, have to ask permission before placing them, don't leave a jar of honey in a cache if bears might be in the area, don't place a cache in a bomb testing area or near a minefield, don't place caches that look like pipebombs near schools, blah blah blah... well you get the idea.

I guess it is a function of popularity that these rules must evolve and this is by far the most popular geocaching site out there.

----(sig line)---> Did you ever do any trail maintainence? - if so you will know that all but the most worn trails need continuous maintenance to prevent mother nature from reclaiming it. herd paths are quickly reclaimed - k2dave

quote:
Originally posted by k2dave:

quote:
In other words, it's not about the sport any more, it's all rules, regulations and legal stuff that has nothing to do with the core sport itself. Is that your problem?

I think that is a good way to put it.

What I do know for sure is that I have noticed a change in this site and I dislike the general changes - well dislike is too strong a word - more like "less like".

Part of the reason could very well be all the new rules that sprung up like don't bury the caches, have to ask permission before placing them, don't leave a jar of honey in a cache if bears might be in the area, don't place a cache in a bomb testing area or near a minefield, don't place caches that look like pipebombs near schools, blah blah blah... well you get the idea.

This it where k2dave and I disagree. I don't mind a single one of those 'rules'. I would like to see some agreement on 'rules'. I'd also like to see some cooperation between sites/people. An authority that represents all geocachers when dealing with the NPS, park managers, or landowners. Someone to mediate disputes. Someone to give the sport credibility.

I'd also like to see some sort of sharing of info between sites. I know, I don't see any flying pigs around here either. icon_smile.gif Even if geocaching.com and the 'other' site had the exact same database I'd still give my money to Jeremy. He provides many value-adds that other sites don't (i.e. Pocket Queries, EasyGPS integration, etc.) That's my ideal world but I know unless something drastic happens, that won't.

The Bohican

--

Welcome to nowhere.nu. Now go home!

[This message was edited by Team Bohica on October 12, 2002 at 02:02 PM.]

I know that I am not speaking for everyone, but I am not against commercializing the site. I own a safety supply company in florida that sells first-aid-kits, CamelBak backpacks, and many other items that I feel would sell very easily if listed on this site. What I don't like however, are the pop-up ads that opens windows after windows.

The bottom line is:

Let Jeremy make a living!!!

If I owned the site I would be retired by now icon_biggrin.gif I GUARANTEE THAT!

Hats off to Jeremy!

One last word to Jeremy, When you are ready for some paid advertising... Just let me know!

--SHUEY

Team Shuey

Riverview, Florida

Well. The REAL problem is that not everyone seems to really use common sense all the time. Any rules that have cropped up are, IMHO, simply to 'protect' the sport. I appreciate the fact that the Groundspeak crew has worked so hard to build a set of rules that keep the sport safe for everyone, tolerable to land officials, and still as flexible as possible.

Most of the rules are common sense anyway. I have harbored some of the same concerns about the future of the sport in relation to this being the primary site and yada yada. But every time I start down that road, I end up feeling pretty comfortable with the the way things have been going and the effort and sentiments I've seen from the folks that run the site.

quote:

--------

trippy1976

migo_sig_logo.jpg

I think this is where the state/regional organizations that are sprouting up will come in handy. I know for a fact that if anyone from Groundspeak got a complaint about something going on in Michigan, our group would be 100% willing and able to support or take over the resolution. We're already starting to work with parks services here to set up guidelines. But we don't maintain cache listings, etc. Outside of the National parks, a lot of the issues with geocaching could be considered 'local'. I'd feel uncomfortable having a main entity coming in and talking with Oakland County Parks in Michigan for instance. The local folks are better suited.

quote:

I'd also like to see some cooperation between sites/people. An authority that represents all geocachers when dealing with the NPS, park managers, or landowners. Someone to mediate disputes. Someone to give the sport credibility.

--------

trippy1976

migo_sig_logo.jpg

I don't think Jeremey sits around his office, smoking a big cigar, saying things like *Today I think I'll make burying caches against the rules*. The rules/suggestions so far have been in response to issues that came up.

When speaking with them recently I was told that they receive several emails a day from park authorities asking that caches be removed since they were placed without permission. Now you know why Jeremy suggests that you ask permission first. Jeremy knows that the survival of this sport depends on not pissing off the authorities. That's one of two ways this sport will cease to exist.

k2dave, it sounds to me like you are just bored with the sport. That's OK. Take some time away from it. If you decide to come back, come on back. We'll be here to welcome you.

Oh, the other way this sport will die, is geocaching by committee. If some committee starts to tell Jeremey how to run his site it's over.

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

Oh, the other way this sport will die, is geocaching by committee. If some committee starts to tell Jeremey how to run his site it's over.

Wow, I didn't know that. So all sports with governing bodies are doomed? I guess there goes Pop Warner, NASCAR, AYSO, and every other sport. Thanks for the heads up.

Seriously. Is anyone telling Jeremy how to run the site no?. Some concerns have been voiced and he's replied to some. But I've never said he doesn't have a right to make money. More power to him. He saw a need and jumped in to fill it. Geocaching.com was _not_ the first geocaching website though. I'm just uncomfortable with the entire sport hinging on the good graces of one person. I know he has said he would never charge for access to the basic database and that's good. What happens if he were to just go away and take his toys with him? I doubt that'll happen as he does seem to be making at least a little money off the venture.

Even to this day the site claims it 'was created with the sole purpose to promote the new sport of Geocaching'. Now be honest, does it promote the entire sport or just its version of the sport? Currently that version is good and I hope it will be in the future. I will continue to support him with my money until I think it 'jumps the shark'.

The Bohican

--

Welcome to nowhere.nu. Now go home!

quote:

Wow, I didn't know that. So all sports with governing bodies are doomed? I guess there goes Pop Warner, NASCAR, AYSO, and every other sport. Thanks for the heads up.

Those sports have thousands of outlets. We have one, privately run, database. If you count the other one we have one-and-a-half databases.

Suppose that tomorrow some committee told Jeremy that to continue to offer geocaching services he had to (insert stupid committee ruling here). He might go along with one or two "rulings", but eventually he'll split. Sure someone else will come along (eventually), but they might not be so generous with their time and energy (I know I wouldn't be).

Some players are already having issues with rules and regulations. Even Pop Warner has more rules than geocaching. Perhaps when millions of cachers play each weekend, we'll need a governing body. But not today.

[This message was edited by geospotter on October 12, 2002 at 02:48 PM.]

What's wrong with having links to other geocaching sites?

Originally posted by Geospotter;

quote:
You could ask SEARS why they don't have links to JC PENNEY, etc.

In business you don't disparage the competition, you send people to them if their product is better for the customer, you don't help them with their business plan, you don't help them with their advertising, and you certainly don't allow them to steal from you. You also listen to your customers and provide what they want at a fair price.

I'd say Jeremy has a pretty good handle on

this...

and

quote:
If you count the other one we have one-and-a-half databases.

First of all, you are comparing these sites to businesses that have product-for-profit in mind. I don't know about Jeremy's true intentions; whether or not profit is intended, but we do know that the other site is not like that.

Second of all, we thought that these sites were intended to be for sporting or hobby activities. You know, just plain fun! GEOCACHING IS A SPORT, and these sites provide information in order to geocache. How is anyone stealing anything from either site if there is a link to both? Steal what? Members? Someone's idea, maybe, or stealing caches, but that isn't going to affect this site or whether or not there is profit made.

We also don't feel that we are "customers" to these sites. Us cachers are what keeps these sites going! If we aren't hiding caches, then what are the sites for then? INFORMATION, THAT'S WHAT. You can't cache if you don't have the info.

As far as your last quote about the databases, could you please explain? We don't understand; we go to the other site and there is plenty to browse. To tell you the truth, the other site has better looking cache pages than this one. It also has chat, instant messaging, forums that don't have rude people on 'em, etc. The owner is a great person and DOES NOT HAVE "PROFIT" IN MIND! HE HAS A JOB! LOLOLOL

WOULDN'T IT BE MORE PRODUCTIVE FOR EVERYONE IF WE ALL JUST GOT ALONG?? icon_smile.gif

I'LL SAY IT AGAIN...

psign.gif

Our feet go where the caches are! feet.gif

I wondered if you read everything I said - in particular:

1 - I am saying that its commercialization* is not transparent to the geocachers

* Where I defined commercialiazation later as the move to protect geocaching.com by closing the availability of such things as the logo.

2 - When I began geocaching this site was more like an open community now you have to worry about such thing like copywrite infringement.

3 - during the transition to a pay site I've noticed a change in the site.

4 - What I mean is that this site has developed sort of attitude of "I'm what Geocaching is" and by doing so has lost part of what Geocaching was

5 - Geocaching was an open community (some of you have posted this) and that was part of the heart and soul of geocaching, it now feels very closed and protected.

6 - it seems like most of the GCers out there like (or don't mind) the changes or don't know of them and like the site

7 - To sum up what they said is that they have too noticed a change that focuses more on the site itself then on the activity the site promotes

8 - Also I must admit that the geocaching.com site is very well done although is it still rough in certain places*.

* the place that I was thinking was the mapping function where you can see many geocaches on a map - there is a much better site out there (IMHO), although now overloaded, for looking for geocaches on a map then the one that geocaching.com provides.

9 - I wouldn't worry about it too much if Jeremy makes some bad choices and basically kills off this site as another will come along - after all this isn't Cuba

10 - I guess it is a function of popularity that these rules must evolve and this is by far the most popular geocaching site out there.

OK now all you GCers who said you disagree with everything I said take the test above. Give yourself one point for every statement that you disargee with. add up your points and post your total.

If you get a 10 - you pass - you totally disagree with everything I have said you get an icon_smile.gif

If you get a 9 or less - you fail and get a :)

Also so nobody else can honsetly post that they

disagree with everything I have said I add:

1+1=2

dave, you have said a whole lot of nothing. everything you have said is based on an intagible perception that you obviously cant articulate to us. how about some concrete examples

quote:

I wondered if you read everything I said - in particular:

1 - I am saying that its commercialization* is not transparent to the geocachers

* Where I defined commercialiazation later as the move to protect geocaching.com by closing the availability of such things as the logo.

2 - When I began geocaching this site was more like an open community now you have to worry about such thing like copywrite infringement.

3 - during the transition to a pay site I've noticed a change in the site.

4 - What I mean is that this site has developed sort of attitude of "I'm what Geocaching is" and by doing so has lost part of what Geocaching was

5 - Geocaching was an open community (some of you have posted this) and that was part of the heart and soul of geocaching, it now feels very closed and protected.

6 - it seems like most of the GCers out there like (or don't mind) the changes or don't know of them and like the site

7 - To sum up what they said is that they have too noticed a change that focuses more on the site itself then on the activity the site promotes

8 - Also I must admit that the geocaching.com site is very well done although is it still rough in certain places*.

* the place that I was thinking was the mapping function where you can see many geocaches on a map - there is a much better site out there (IMHO), although now overloaded, for looking for geocaches on a map then the one that geocaching.com provides.

9 - I wouldn't worry about it too much if Jeremy makes some bad choices and basically kills off this site as another will come along - after all this isn't Cuba

10 - I guess it is a function of popularity that these rules must evolve and this is by far the most popular geocaching site out there.

OK now all you GCers who said you disagree with everything I said take the test above. Give yourself one point for every statement that you disargee with. add up your points and post your total.

If you get a 10 - you pass - you totally disagree with everything I have said you get an icon_smile.gif

If you get a 9 or less - you fail and get a :)

Also so nobody else can honsetly post that they

disagree with everything I have said I add:

1+1=2

SR and dboggny.

9372_2000.jpg

SR&D What you said was exactly what I am getting at. Most of the things I have said revolve around a change that I perceive to the geocaching.com site. Then I get some post saying that they disagree with everything I say - WTF they disagree w/ how I perceive??? It shows to me a blind loyality to the geocaching site and not reading what I am posting.

As for concreate examples I didn't want to list them because they have been mentioned in the past and the postings degenerate to the argument that Jeremy blows vs. Jeremy is a god - which admittadly some of this has reared it's ugly head.

If someone doesn't like how this site is run, there is a really easy solution. Start your own site, or help develop one of the other sites.

It's one thing to complain about how this site is run. It's a completely different thing to provide your time and talent to making a site better.

Those who are suggesting a governing body - great. Go start one.

Surely, you're not suggesting that after busting his chops to maintain this site, *Jeremy* go do this extra work for you, right?

Shannah

quote:

What's wrong with having links to other geocaching sites? We are members of two popular geocaching websites and love them both.

Nothing at all. If you want to have links to all of the geocaching websites, knock yourself out.

Jeremy makes that decision for his website. You can make it for yours. Try it and see what happens. I doubt you'll be getting any email from Jeremy telling you that you have to change your website.

You can publish a link to your website in your profile.

You want a purple background? You can have it! You want to also publish links to sites with animated gifs? You can do it! You want to have the music from hampsterdance.com? Consult your attorney! icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously, if there is anything you think is lacking on this website, go ahead and create it yourself on your own website. Or, volunteer to help the folks at "the other site" do it.

It's not like Jeremy has the entire Internet sewn up.

Shannah

Team StitchesOnQuilts

um...if you have read this thread before you posted you will see that Jeremy has said:

quote:
Since I do pay for it, I appreciate the post. Hopefully I can clear up some of the questions.

and

quote:
There's certainly no reason to censor a discussion like this, and no it isn't inappropriate to discuss it here. I'd rather do it here where I read often and can respond to misinformation if it crops up.

- both from Jeremy in this thread (if you bothered to read it)

So what I said and the reasons that I started this thread are valid according to the site owner/opperator.

I have beat the OP to death and have learned alot in the process for such a short amount of time. Many have jumped to Jeremy's defense even though he wasn't attacked which is frankly kind of wierd. Many of you have assumed I said things that I didn't.

For all who needs a summary of what I really said:

The site has changed over time in my eyes. This change is overall negative IMHO. I blame the change on the closing of geocaching.com community by the actions of geocaching.com. I still like this site. I think it's a good site. I am not thrilled on the mapping function of this site. You may feal differently. 1+1=2.

With that said there is not much more to add so I give you the last word (I got to get some work done icon_wink.gif ).

quote:
I think an analogy for you would be saying how kids used to play stickball on the stoop, but then the parents got involved and started creating rules, requiring umpires, then laws were established regarding unruly parents, and then they couldn't play on the street so they moved it to the ball field, a league was created and under the guise of "we need to protect the children" now the coaches & every members of the support staff down to the groundscrew need to have background checks.

I've read this thread from start to finish and after awhile, it was pretty clear k2dave didn't mean commercialization in the sense of pop-up ads and required memberships (and yet we continued to talk about that because it really is great how unobtrusive Groundspeak is on geocaching.com).

But I was curious what he meant and I suspect you've hit the nail on the head. It does seem that to play the game you have to belong to a league. In this case, the "league" may be as simple as owning a GPS and having access to the Internet. (I just deleted a paragraph about paying $80 for a GPS and having access to the internet not being simple for a great many folk in this great country, but that's a topic for another thread.)

If there are too many rules and IF this is what k2dave was talking about then it seems the time is ripe for an underground in the geocaching community. Caches whose coordinates can only be gathered by word of mouth, or through 'zines or some such thing.

quote:
To use my analogy, kids who continue to play off the stoop aren't viewed as legit because they're not part of the league. The league IS baseball. There is no baseball without the league.

They're just as legit and probably having as much fun (if not more) than those in the league.

Stick with it k2dave and any others who feel over-regulated. Make it what you want to be: it's your sport, too.

I agree with rubbertoe...just go and do the sport...as you can tell i dont do many post in here...have not been in any forums in months...i many just log on fine the cache i want to hunt and come back and log it in...i wish i could do more hunts but i cant...i dont care about the day to day working...i think the "big cheeze" and his crew are doing a great job...keep up the good work

quote:

As far as your last quote about the databases, could you please explain? We don't understand; we go to the other site and there is plenty to browse. To tell you the truth, the other site has better looking cache pages than this one. It also has chat, instant messaging, forums that don't have rude people on 'em, etc. The owner is a great person and DOES NOT HAVE "PROFIT" IN MIND! HE HAS A JOB! LOLOLOL

Your in Quinn's back yard, His site DOES look good. Now punch in the zipcode of another state and look at the "other" site from the prospective of the rest of the world. I'm only a few hundred miles away from you. Geocaching.com shows 622 caches within 50 miles of me, 1219 within 100 miles. Now, the "other" site: 11 caches within 50 miles, and just 35 caches within 100 miles! Geocaching.com shows more then 35 caches within walking distance of my house! The "other" site has me driving 200 miles to display the closest 100 caches.

I also disagree that the cache pages there are nicer. I personally prefer the layout here. Only thing I like better there is the caches pages link to lostoutdoors.com, and here doesn't. For the life of me I can't guess why Jeremy doesn't.

I've chatted with Quinn, and he *IS* a nice guy, but if I want to find geocaches, there is no doubt what website I'm using (as things stand now), and it's not his.

Illegitimus non carborundum!

quote:
Originally posted by Gwho:

Yea if that is the question that is a tough one to answer. Basically I would say no, because considering just how HUGE this sport has become there are very few true limits to Geocaching. There are some etiquette issues, but these are pretty much policed within the community. There are exceptions here and there. Such as I am totally in favor of completely commercial caches that would be for profit, but I know as a community that is an unpopular idea so I don't try to place anything like that at all. Anything that involves this many people trying to complete anything with some kind of order needs rules, and I think this place does a good balance between iron handedness and complete chaos.

Dan

A = A

Hi!

I'm new at this, and since there are not that many caches in my area (Monterrey, Mexico), I plan to do something about it.

There's a national park really close to the city, Chipinque, that's perfect for hidding caches, because it's a beautiful natural setting with lots of hiking and mountain biking trails.

I plan to contact the administration and ask for permision to hide the caches. I don't expect there to be much trouble (rules in Mexico's national parks are pretty relax).

The only thing is that you need to pay around 10 or 20 pesos (10-20 US cents) to enter.

Would that keep these caches from being approved? I wouldn't want to go into all the trouble of getting permission and planting the cache only to get it rejected!

Also, along the same topic, what about places you get to through toll roads? Many Mexican roads involve charges. Does the commercial thing apply here too?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Take time to laugh,

it's the music of the soul.

My Last Dove Chocolate

quote:
Originally posted by Gonini:

The only thing is that you need to pay around 10 or 20 pesos (10-20 US cents) to enter.

Would that keep these caches from being approved? I wouldn't want to go into all the trouble of getting permission and planting the cache only to get it rejected!

Also, along the same topic, what about places you get to through toll roads? Many Mexican roads involve charges. Does the commercial thing apply here too?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Take time to laugh,

it's the music of the soul.

My Last Dove Chocolate

It's not a problem. Many caches are placed in parks with entrance fees. It's common. It's also common to make a note on the page about the fee so geocachers can come prepared with a little money.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

As seems usual, all this hoopala was going on and I wasn't around to get in on it. But I have to add my $.02 worth anyway.

Being relatively new to the 'sport' (Sep 02), I sure can't see anything wrong with the site at all. It does everthing I want and I don't mind at all, the ads and offers for stuff regarding geocaching that I run across. I used to have a personal web site that I put together using MS Front Page, and even with that easy-to-work stuff, keeping the site up and running was work. And in a short while I got tired of 'updating' stuff on it and it sat there motionless for over two years without a single upgrade. So I KNOW how hard it is to maintain a website, especially a really busy one like this.

But like everything else, you just can't please everyone all the time (or any combination of that).

I just have to simply say I enjoy the heck out of this site and all it offers. If someone tires of it and goes away, oh well. Happens every day.

Kudos to Jeremy and everyone else who is involved in this HUGE project, and thanks a lot. icon_smile.gificon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

Um, honey, did you mark a waypoint for the car?

Well let's not complain and enjoy geocaching!

Whatever happens to this site is no big deal. It does a good job so far and if something changes in the policy that's okay too. Change is good.

I am sure if this website had to disappear suddenly another one would raise up among the challengers.

So no worries and keep caching!!

Legendeo is still in Beta!

People, get with it. k2dave is right, you're all right, everyone is right. A forum is a place to voice an opinion, this is his opinion.

I agree with a lot of what he says on a basic level, too much commercialization can be bad. I do think it's nice to have one site where I can find hundreds of caches around me, unlike any other caching site out there. THAT is a good thing, something that would not be possible without commercialization.

Do you guys know how much it costs to keep a site with such a large volume of traffic and bandwidth usage up and running? More than Jeremy could pay without taking in any money. When something gets this big, it cannot be run as a hobby. If it weren't this big, most of us would not even know about it, we'd be missing out on this great thing we have.

Be happy that Jeremy is loyal to geocachers, I trust that he would NEVER charge us to do this. He cares. Want to know a nice thing about such organization and commercialization? If something did happen to this site, we have become organized enough to re-start.

I understand why some people would be concerned about the rules and regulations being set, but it is needed. The sport has become too large for anarchy to work. It would get out of hand, people would abuse it, and it would eventually get shut down. Parks would not allow us to place caches on their land, geocaching would get a bad name. Rules are necessary.

Keep in mind, these are just my opinions, please don't tell me I'm wrong or i'm bound to post yet another rambling mass of crap that no one wants to read. icon_wink.gif

-Zach

-Team TSA-

migo_sig_logo.jpg

People, get with it. k2dave is right, you're all right, everyone is right. A forum is a place to voice an opinion, this is his opinion.

I agree with a lot of what he says on a basic level, too much commercialization can be bad. I do think it's nice to have one site where I can find hundreds of caches around me, unlike any other caching site out there. THAT is a good thing, something that would not be possible without commercialization.

Do you guys know how much it costs to keep a site with such a large volume of traffic and bandwidth usage up and running? More than Jeremy could pay without taking in any money. When something gets this big, it cannot be run as a hobby. If it weren't this big, most of us would not even know about it, we'd be missing out on this great thing we have.

Be happy that Jeremy is loyal to geocachers, I trust that he would NEVER charge us to do this. He cares. Want to know a nice thing about such organization and commercialization? If something did happen to this site, we have become organized enough to re-start.

I understand why some people would be concerned about the rules and regulations being set, but it is needed. The sport has become too large for anarchy to work. It would get out of hand, people would abuse it, and it would eventually get shut down. Parks would not allow us to place caches on their land, geocaching would get a bad name. Rules are necessary.

Keep in mind, these are just my opinions, please don't tell me I'm wrong or i'm bound to post yet another rambling mass of crap that no one wants to read. icon_wink.gif

-Zach

-Team TSA-

migo_sig_logo.jpg

We have only found 5 caches thus far. But in these times where televison and other outside influences are tring to corrupt my family. My wife and I love Geocaching. It gets the whole family out of the house and discovering new things and places. The kids get a fantastic sense of accompliahment when we find one. The simple trinkets the get to keep are becoming their most prized possesions.

We often discuss where we can place caches of our own. The products are great ways to build enthiasium for the hobby. We started to talk about travel bugs and also hope to stat a few of those soon.

Santa has been asked for a few Official Geo Caching items to help make our activity more fun. We could get along fine without them but we want these things and the kids look forward to going out exploring whenever possible.

I do not know what it was all of you hoped to get out of GeoCaching but so far the rewards have far and away of paced any thing the minor commercializing has caused.

Just my 2 cents.

This has been covered how many times...My 2 cents is if you dont like where this is going...you can, well you know...I race many differnt things and i have seen some "garage" races turn into big events...so far I dont feel that way with this site or sport/game...come on folks lets keep your eye on whats the main thing...you GPS