Themes

Guest Squad51

Guest Squad51

I'm QUITE new to this sport/game! Awaiting the arrival of my newly ordered gps as I type this. I was just wondering if there are any themes that HAVEN'T been done yet? I haven't even sought my first 'find' yet, and I have my first 3 caches planned out! I live in Southern Colorado, plenty of room out here for them. Mine will all revolve around the firefighting/ems/rescue theme that my entire life seems to be connected to. Do these themes sound interesting to anyone or should I maybe go for a more 'universal' appeal. Thanks for any input!

Guest Ron Streeter

Your theme sounds good to me, and as I have a daughter in Colorado, I may even get to them ! (from CA)

The very first cache I found was called Survival and contained water, Clif bar, map, etc. Gradually it lost its theme, but I think its a good idea...go for it. Over time you will probably have several other themes as well.

Enjoy !

Guest Paul Lamble

Great idea about theme caches, but as the other poster said, they will eventually evolve their own identity as visitors give and take.

One thing you can do is use a consistent word in your names for your caches that share a theme. For example, you could call them "EMS #1" "EMS #2" and so on. It's not very clever, but this site has a keyword look up feature, so anyone interested in EMS-themed caches could find them that way. If you look up "Santa" in the keyword search, you'll find at least three that are themed to the Santa Fe Trail. Not bad.

Have fun.

Paul Lamble

Guest Anton

ne to see four others. There may be more, but if they don't have the word "confluence" in the title, they won't show up in a keyword search. I could look for them by using the lat/lon search parameters, but don't have the time.

While I don't use themes up front in my cache titles, per sae, I try to come up with interesting, and if possible, unique locations. My favorite site is one that even most of the locals don't know about.

Now that I've planted 5 caches, I am beginning to appreciate what the veterans here do for the rest of us. I can't imagine having planted 20 or more caches. It's hard to come up with great locations, varied cache contents, new ideas like hitchhikers and multi-stage caches, and new themes.

That's why I started a topic asking about the record for planting caches, and the idea of creating a "Top 10" list for cache owners according to the number of caches they planted. I think it's fitting and proper to recognize the people who are leading this sport by putting in so much effort for all of us to enjoy.

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 08 May 2001).]

Guest Squad51

Thanks for all the input! I do appreciate it. And I do think, also, that part of the fun will be watching the cache evolve into something new and different! Thanks again!

Wuffs/Squad51

Guest Cold Chuck

Hey, Squad51.

Im a newbie, too. Waiting for new GPS to come in (in next few days!!) Im in Manitou Springs area.

------------------

Cold Chuck

Guest Miles678

quote:
Originally posted by Anton:

I placed my first cache on a point of confluence (N43-W76), and thought it was unique. When I asked Jeremy about it, he pointed me to the search engine to see four others. There may be more, but if they don't have the word "confluence" in the title, they won't show up in a keyword search. I could look for them by using the lat/lon search parameters, but don't have the time.

Anton,

The 33,117 Cache cache is on a point of confluence in the San Diego area.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=754

Miles678

Guest c_oflynn

Hey,

I just got my GPS today (mag 315), its great! I haven't gone geocaching yet, but I have planned my first one out. It will be a multistage cache with a buch of riddles. Should prove interesting...

-Colin

Guest irishcb

Themes are a good idea.

We have a cache next to a bark park that has nothing but dog and cat items in it.

People seem to love it and can bring there dogs along for the ride.