Laptop with GPS in my car..

Guest skyboy

Would love to set up my laptop and GPS in my car for trips (and even more often is possible.) Anyone do this yet? I am most surious about what sort of mounting you have done for the laptop and for power supplies to both.

Pictures would also be great.

Well, I have used the laptop and GPS on trips before. But it sounds like you are much more serious about it than I was. I mounted the laptop firmly on my lap. I used my 12volt power cable for the laptop and let the GPS fend for itself.

I have seen catalogs that have all the hardware for mounting a laptop in a vehicle. I'd have to poke around on the internet to find it. But all kinds of thing exist for that purpose.

quote:
Originally posted by Doug & Linda:

http://thehummerclubinc.com/Tech/gps2/gps2install.htm has been posted before, but well worth another mention.

http://thehummerclubinc.com/Tech/gps2/Dash-and-computer-area.jpg

Ahh, but if only ALL of us could afford a Hummer. I think I'll opt for a military HMMWV, myself instead of the overpriced civilian Hummer things.

Anyway, try www.galls.com for laptop mounting hardware...try this link, more specifically...

http://www.galls.com/shop/viewProductDetail.jsp?item=VE099

JM-99

I'm using a laptop with my Garmin 12. The beauty of my lowly G-12 is that it runs on 5 volts, and is happy to get power from the laptop's PS/2 port. I'm using a home-made communications and power cable between the laptop and GPS - bought some Garmin connectors from a pfranc site, where you can also get wiring instructions. Works great!

Maybe its just me, but I can't possibly figure why you need the laptop in the car. Then again, I would never own a cell phone, even if it was free.

Why not just print off the pages before you go? On longer trips, do a little planning and carry a file of cache pages with you. Its the adventure, map work and unknown "stuff" that makes it great for me.

To each their own, but I have been shaking my head since I saw the picture of the Hummer. Obviously, I will never fit the "gadget freak" mold...unless its a useful and practical gadget. Like a GPS!

"Give a man a fish and he eats for a day...

Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime"

Do it all the time, works great. I was in a real ugly snowstorm on some country roads month ago and my Vista and MS Streets & Trips absolutely saved me from missing a couple turns that were drifted over and getting delayed/lost/etc.

For various reasons, I have an inverter (12Vdc to 120 Vac) and that keeps the laptop real happy and the screen bright (new laptops often need 16V and get grumpy when running from a vehicle even at ~14 Vdc). I bought the Garmin cable that has a serial connection AND a lighter plug so the GPS saves batteries as well. I just find the laptop sitting beside me on the bench seat works fine.

If I was doing the kinda things Hummers like doing, I'd definately need a better mount though.

quote:
Originally posted by skyboy:

Would love to set up my laptop and GPS in my car for trips (and even more often is possible.) Anyone do this yet? I am most surious about what sort of mounting you have done for the laptop and for power supplies to both.

Pictures would also be great.

Tried it once. It was kind of cool watching the car move across the sceen. The quality of my driving dropped substantually, however. I gave up the idea in favor of living longer. Maybe I'll try it again as a passenger sometime.

The laptop would take some logitical planning, but it would be fairly easy to do. I have my Garmin 76 mounted on the left side of my dash below the side vent(it's a 94 toyota truck-visual reference for toyota owners). I have the power supply coming from my cigarette lighter; tucking the excess wiring below my steering column. The location of the GPS is important. You want to make sure you have plenty of daylight hitting the antenna.

Here's a great link:

http://www.ram-mount.com/

BTW, Doug and Linda: That is freakin HIGH SPEED!! Very Cool Hummer interior!