Car / Vehicle problems anyone?

datum

Datum,

A quick fix for a starter that does that to you is to tap on it with a hammer or other tool while trying to start it.

It sounds like the motor has a dead spot, and if you tap on it, it will usually jolt the motor enough to get it to spin.

Of course, this procedure requires two people and one of them must lay on the ground, but it works.

Anyway, so far I've been lucky with my vehicles during caching expeditions.

Jamie

it was a beautiful saturday and i decided taht i would go caching with no maps ...just the GPS icon_smile.gif well i picked out 4 or 5 taht were in the same area and headed out. after an hour or so of driving i was w/in 3-5 miles depending on what side of the moutain i was on -- i was having trouble finding a road which traversed the moutain. i finally found one and as i turned on to it the car stalled out ......hmmmmmmm not so good then my phome rings -- strange since it hadn't had service for the last half hour ..but its my friend wondering what i'm up to ...i don't think he was expecting the answer "well, i'm on top of a some mountain and the car just died" ...so i let the car rest for a few minutes and then it starts back up ..i continue looking for the cache and go up another "road" which is 10' wide at about a 10% - 15% grade i was less than a mile from the cache but it was on the other side of a cliff so down the mountain i go and up yet another crazy road with serious drop offs on both sides and again the car stalls out -- this time on one of the super steep sections and also @ a tight bend in the road ...now i'm getting nervous so i decide to bail icon_frown.gif i get the car started and have to do a 10 point turn to turn around without going over a cliff ..needless to say my heart was pounding ..now its at least 10 miles to the nearest town and my car keeps hesitating and trying to stall ...and i'm talking to mayself in the car and noticing that any person i pass looks to know that i'm not from these parts ..my imagination then starts doing its thing with scenes from deliverence and such going through my head ..i did make it to civilization where water in the gas was determined to be the problem - so a can of dry gas and i was happily on my way ...i wimped out and went straight home saving the caching for another day

it was a beautiful saturday and i decided taht i would go caching with no maps ...just the GPS icon_smile.gif well i picked out 4 or 5 taht were in the same area and headed out. after an hour or so of driving i was w/in 3-5 miles depending on what side of the moutain i was on -- i was having trouble finding a road which traversed the moutain. i finally found one and as i turned on to it the car stalled out ......hmmmmmmm not so good then my phome rings -- strange since it hadn't had service for the last half hour ..but its my friend wondering what i'm up to ...i don't think he was expecting the answer "well, i'm on top of a some mountain and the car just died" ...so i let the car rest for a few minutes and then it starts back up ..i continue looking for the cache and go up another "road" which is 10' wide at about a 10% - 15% grade i was less than a mile from the cache but it was on the other side of a cliff so down the mountain i go and up yet another crazy road with serious drop offs on both sides and again the car stalls out -- this time on one of the super steep sections and also @ a tight bend in the road ...now i'm getting nervous so i decide to bail icon_frown.gif i get the car started and have to do a 10 point turn to turn around without going over a cliff ..needless to say my heart was pounding ..now its at least 10 miles to the nearest town and my car keeps hesitating and trying to stall ...and i'm talking to mayself in the car and noticing that any person i pass looks to know that i'm not from these parts ..my imagination then starts doing its thing with scenes from deliverence and such going through my head ..i did make it to civilization where water in the gas was determined to be the problem - so a can of dry gas and i was happily on my way ...i wimped out and went straight home saving the caching for another day

I was nine miles down a dirt road on the way to do some caching when my truck just up and died. I tried to start it on and off for the next ten minutes when all of a sudden it starts right up, only to stumble and die again 500 ft further down said dirt road. Three hours later, a tow truck finally arrives from the nearest town (which is itself 70 miles from where I live). The next day the mechanic at the shop where the truck has been towed says he's got it fixed. He adjusted the timing. I'm like, "You are sh*tting me right?!?" There is no way that having the timing out 2 degrees is going to cause a running engine to die all of a sudden. Turns out to have been the ignintion switch. icon_mad.gif

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

I was nine miles down a dirt road on the way to do some caching when my truck just up and died. I tried to start it on and off for the next ten minutes when all of a sudden it starts right up, only to stumble and die again 500 ft further down said dirt road. Three hours later, a tow truck finally arrives from the nearest town (which is itself 70 miles from where I live). The next day the mechanic at the shop where the truck has been towed says he's got it fixed. He adjusted the timing. I'm like, "You are sh*tting me right?!?" There is no way that having the timing out 2 degrees is going to cause a running engine to die all of a sudden. Turns out to have been the ignintion switch. icon_mad.gif

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

I wanted to check a site I'm thinking of hiding a cache in. Drove over, parked the car, turned on the eTrex, set it down on a post, went to get water and heard a hissing sound.

I'd managed to pick up a nasty bit of metal and my tire was going flat very fast.

Three hours and a $70 tire I was back on my way again. I will not be heading back to that site until I have some $$$ saved up for new tires!