Where's George Poll

bsmalley

Does anyone take Where's George dollars out of caches?

The reason I ask is that I have seen a TON of these things showing up in caches. I have never seen a log saying someone took one. Just a curiosity poll.

----------

A man said to the Universe, "Sir, I exist!" "However," replied the Universe, "that fact creates in me no sense of obligation." -- Stephen Crane

I usually grab a George if I find one in a cache unless I don't have another to trade with me (or something else.) Probably more than half of those end up in other caches. Some get spent. If I spend them, I like to spend them someplace interesting--either with hopes of getting a quick hit for the hider, or in an area where the bill hasn't been.

I find that when people find my bills in caches the same happens--they either go to another cache, or they get spent. I've even had one go the other way recently. It travelled to Florida then it was left in a couple caches there. I don't think I left that one in a cache.

We placed a george dollar in our vacation cache in Pueblo, Co.

The bill has made it's way all the way to WA. How cool is that?

http://www.wheresgeorge.com/report.....4834ab5

When we find a george bill, we put it into the next cache that we find. There has been times where we came across the same george dollar that we already found. For example we put a george dollar into one of our new caches, then a couple of weeks later, we found our same bill in a different cache. At that time, Candie and I didn't realize it was one of our bills and didn't understand why we couldn't log it in. We finally figured that out, then spent the dollar at a local store.

Sometimes it is good to take the bill and spend it somewhere; that way it gets into circulation and brings new members! That's how we found out about geocaching...through a George!

Duane

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

smileyhug.gif

Our feet go where the caches are! feet.gif

Georges are very popular here in NJ. Several big time Geocachers use them as their signature item, so most of the caches have them. If I find one in the cache, I usually take it and release it into the wild (pays for my coffee in the morning).

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

I first thought that anything put into a cache had to travel to another cache. Then I figured out that only TB's really had to do this. I moved Georges from cache to cache. Sometimes I will take them. Haven't spent one yet. And I haven't watched the moves of any of them. Found out about where's george from geocaching. The OTHER way around.

Cache you later,

Planet

I never got into the Where's George craze, but it makes me wonder. Has anyone ever put coords onto a bill, leading to a cache or other place? I know I use bills a lot when I don't have a peice of paper handy, and have even written coords on them, though it was probably just jotted down as 44 67 345 so strangers may not even know what it was.

Just seems like it might be neat to hide a simple cache for that purpose, maybe not even listed on the web site, possibly a "welcome to geocaching" cache. Anyone that took the effort to see what the coords were would probably enjoy geocaching.

We all have mental problems, it's just that some of us choose to show them.

The site will let you log in a dollar, but not track it unless you register. Frankly, there are too many people asking for my personal data to hook up with a website that I just don't use very much. I would be a bigger fan of the site if you could use it without leaving your personal info.

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

quote:
Originally posted by bigredmed:

The site will let you log in a dollar, but not track it unless you register. Frankly, there are too many people asking for my personal data to hook up with a website that I just don't use very much. I would be a bigger fan of the site if you could use it without leaving your personal info.

A couple of suggestions:

1. You don't have to use your real name. Make something up, like... ummm... bigredmed?

2. Get a throwaway e-mail address at Yahoo or any other free e-mail address website. Use that for your e-mail when registering at Where's George.

That's it. The site doesn't require any other personal data.

I always figured that a bill was meant to be circulated for the whole Where's George concept to be valid. Therefore, I'll log it and then spend it. I have seen bills in caches that were specifically designated to be passed from cache to cache. That sounds more like a travel bug than anything else. But if the originator wants to do it that way, I'll honor the request.