Keeping Dry

Guest Paul Lamble

Guest Paul Lamble

A lot of caches I find are a bit wet inside. Most of the time that's not a problem, but sometimes the log book is kind of soggy. I was thinking I could put those dessicant containers you find in the bottom of aspirin bottles to help keep the inside of the logbook bag dry.

What do you think? Could they do the job? Would they lose effectiveness over time? Would there be a liability if some youngster who visits the cache eats them?

Is this a stupid idea? Is there some other solution? Double ziplok bags? What do you think?

Guest Markwell

I believe this was covered in an earlier forum(?). Some of the ideas:

a) try to find a pretty airtight container;

:) even with an airtight container, put things in ziploc freezer bags (a little heavier duty that the regular ones) and put the log book in a separate bag than the cache items;

c) weight the cache down in some manner so it won't float away with the least flooding (I'm concerned about the "Dr. Spyro's Challenge" cache in North Aurora, Illinois for that reason);

d) the silica gel tablets would be OK (I would think), provided they are in a packet marked "DO NOT EAT" (wouldn't want someone to think they got Chicklets) - and they can be reused if they are dried out (someone suggested putting them in the oven, but I would think resting by a fireplace would be OK).

Anyone else?

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 03-15-2001).]