Pirated software in stashes

Guest Lasivian

I plan on making my own cache sometime in the next couple months and I planned on planting a CD or two of my best MP3s and/or emulator roms in there. I'm not sure I'd want to put any really expensive pirated software in there since that could cause trouble if the wrong person finds it (bad idea to put a $3000 copy of 3D Studio Max in there for example). Also, some games like War Craft II BNE won't allow you to play online if there are other instances of the same game connected to a server. In other words, if you copy your CD and someone else is using it online, you won't be able to connect to a server untill that person leaves. Bummer.

Geocaching already has some legal issues since most caches are placed without the explicit permission of either the owner (for private land) or the managing agency (for public land). I would not want to raise further legal questions about the activity by using it for illegal distribution of software.

afaik, nobody's brought any lawsuits against any cache placers or hunters, nor are there any laws on the books against placing them, so I'm not sure where 'legal issues' comes from. Caches don't qualify as litter since the aren't discarded.

While I wouldn't place a cache on private property without the landowners permission, to the best of my knowledge, state and national parks, BLM areas, etc. still belong to us, sans those areas which Clinton has grabbed away from us in the name of 'legacy'.

Guest Krepism

I think this should be non-issue. The makers of GPS devices make thier money on the accessories not the actual GPS device. If we start giving the software away, then the manufacters will be forced to raise their price on the units and the accessories to compensate. I agree that some companies deserve to be ripped off, but if we are trying to promote the use of GPS technology, lets not exploit it! Just my .02

Guest Lasivian

If this was true why does Magellan post not only the instructions on how it's cable pinout works with a PC interface, but also the 4 meg Datasave free on it's website?

to rely on the sales of add-ons for profit is the worst business strategy i've ever heard of (sorry, but there's no other way to put it, if you;re not making a profit on the original sale why are you in business?)

------------------

Lasivian@usa.net - ICQ 3619356 - www.fastq.com/~lasivian

Guest Hamster

omponents, software modules etc.

Hope this helps. They are by no means stupid. Their choice of a CD-ROM as the method to make most of their profit may be questionable, but without knowing sales figures its hard to make that judgment.

Guest Quinnow

Welllll....I wouldn't say it would be nice to make and cache a pirated version of ohhhh...lets say MS Office 2000 premium which holds a store value of well over 600.00 . But if a copy happens to end up in a cache then there you go! after all...who can sit and watch a cache 24 /7 to make sure that someone doesn't do something like that?

Guest BigFig

As a computer professional, I feel obligated to report any instances of piracy of software to the SPA. You can expect the federal marshalls to be visiting your cache site soon, issuing summons in your logbook,

etc.

No kidding though, it would just take one "bad press event" about geocachers trading pirated software to give us a black eye. Do you really think anyone would understand WHY this is fun - my friends think I freaking crazy ...

Now, if you just put the CD in there and

didn't tell anyone, who is to say (in court) that somebody else didn't leave it there? It is lying out in the woods ...

Guest Paul Lamble

I've left software in a cache. They were CDs I got as give aways or cheaply at the bargain bin at the computer store. They weren't pirated by any means. I don't think what I did was wrong, unless someone can tell me it is in some way I've overlooked. But as for pirated software, I don't do that. I don't even like it when my son downloads music from the internet.

Guest bpuetz

As a software developer for over 20 years, I find this thread disturbing. If you dislike a particular company, you are free to develop competing solutions. Theft is theft. Period.

I was very excited to find this new sport until I got to this thread. If this is what Geocaching amounts to or becomes, I'm disappointed.