Altitude

Guest kk6t

Guest kk6t

I'm curious as to why altitude isn't used on cache web pages. I found a cache last weekend that had a fair amount of altitude gain and it would have been nice to know that in advance. Yes, I know I could have plotted the coordinates on a topo map but since altitude is displayed along with lat & lon why aren't we using it?

Guest Iron Chef

quote:
Originally posted by kk6t:

I'm curious as to why altitude isn't used on cache web pages. I found a cache last weekend that had a fair amount of altitude gain and it would have been nice to know that in advance. Yes, I know I could have plotted the coordinates on a topo map but since altitude is displayed along with lat & lon why aren't we using it?

Sometimes the GPS recievers without an altimeter give wildly inaccurate readings on the altidute. This may be a reason.

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

Guest kk6t

>Sometimes the GPS recievers without an altimeter give wildly inaccurate readings on the altidute. This may be a reason

Ahhhh....I meant to ask that question also. How accurate is the altitude figure?

A good approximation to the error in altitude is to take the EPE the your gps give you for horizontal error and multiply it by 1.5 for vertical error. This is usual a very optimistic approximation.

mcb

Guest Nemesis

mention in my stash report, just so everyone knows how far they will have to climb. I have an eTrex Summit (it has a barometric altimiter), so my elevations are quite accurate, provided that I calibrate it properly.

You are right, it would be nice if others included elevation too, even if it was simply read of a topomap (not every stash hunter has a copy of the one for your area). Accuracy is not that important, most times the elevation within 20 m would be very useful, you could probably get that accuracy from your GPS most of the time.

Cheers,

Donovan Govan.