Is there a lawyer in the house?

Guest raygun_88

Guest raygun_88

I usually am noted for my mocking attitude and overt contempt for authority, but I had this idea...in passing at the Central Coast Geocacher's picnic last month I pitched out the idea of a fraternity-Gamma Pi Sigma (GPS) and I even put together a logo...then of course my typical lack of organization bias kicked in. But the idea is sound. Someone really needs to put together an organization for geocaching advocacy. Climbers ran into some real problems (and they still do at some parks) with access to climbable rock. Geocachers hiding their bootie face the problem of their treasure being considered trash by authorities. There are other issues that would best be addressed by some sort of organization sticking up for the rights of geocachers. Gamma Pi Sigma accordingly is seeking a President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer [please not the Alpha Chapter is in Gamma Pi Sigma--Our motto: Ready to Navigate. Cheers...check out the logo at http://www.stratigraphix.com/geocache.html

------------------

raygun_88

aptos, ca 95003

Guest rusty

I really like those logos, obviously you know what you are doing graphically. If nothing else geocaching has the coolest graphics of any new sport icon_smile.gif

Rusty...

Guest rusty

I really like those logos, obviously you know what you are doing graphically. If nothing else geocaching has the coolest graphics of any new sport icon_smile.gif

Rusty...

Guest raygun_88

Yes, I'm an artist and also a Ph.D., and I had a blast doing the designs...but to the point of discussion...

This was my rationale for the earlier posting: a sport like geocaching, which potentially has the capacity to surpass climbing, mountaineering, and orienteering combined, in the number of people who will be participating, may want to consider laying groundwork of an organization for the folks who enjoy it so much.

For example, climbers have an endowment to maintain accessibile lands. Check it out at http://www.accessfund.org/

Fortunately most geocachers don't run a huge risk of plunging to their death. But even so, a non-profit organization set up to maintain good relations with parks' officials and the non-geocaching community and a means for using geocaching for outreach to underpriviliged kids would serve humanity...and in my opinion, that's what it's all about. The very last thing that I would like to see in geocaching is some organization that sponsors meets and turns it into a competitive thing or tries to institute rules that impinge on an individual's freedom.

Lastly, my reference to lawyers was simply to appeal to his/her/their sense of communitty for doing pro bono work in forming bylaws and filing papers for non-profit organization status.

Of course, in a sport that involves caches, how can one not encounter lawyers icon_wink.gif

I stand mute...well almost. Cheers.

Guest raygun_88

Yes, I'm an artist and also a Ph.D., and I had a blast doing the designs...but to the point of discussion...

This was my rationale for the earlier posting: a sport like geocaching, which potentially has the capacity to surpass climbing, mountaineering, and orienteering combined, in the number of people who will be participating, may want to consider laying groundwork of an organization for the folks who enjoy it so much.

For example, climbers have an endowment to maintain accessibile lands. Check it out at http://www.accessfund.org/

Fortunately most geocachers don't run a huge risk of plunging to their death. But even so, a non-profit organization set up to maintain good relations with parks' officials and the non-geocaching community and a means for using geocaching for outreach to underpriviliged kids would serve humanity...and in my opinion, that's what it's all about. The very last thing that I would like to see in geocaching is some organization that sponsors meets and turns it into a competitive thing or tries to institute rules that impinge on an individual's freedom.

Lastly, my reference to lawyers was simply to appeal to his/her/their sense of communitty for doing pro bono work in forming bylaws and filing papers for non-profit organization status.

Of course, in a sport that involves caches, how can one not encounter lawyers icon_wink.gif

I stand mute...well almost. Cheers.

Guest brokenwing

While I'm intrigued by the concept, I think we need to have a better understanding of a few things first. Some questions:

1. What would the purpose of the organization be?
  2. Would there be dues?
  3. If so, what does a member gain for joining?
  4. If not, how does the organization support itself and provide for its purposes?
  5. As an international group, under what jurisdiction would such an organization be formed?
  6. Would it incorporate? If so, why?
  7. Is there really anyone willing to give up caching time to do the tasks necessary to keep such an organization running?

I ask these questions because I have been an officer in several non-profit organizations, and have some familiarity with the trials and tribulations of such. I have also been involved in the formation of Articles of Association / Incorporation and Bylaws, so have some experience there as well.

Thanks,

Brokenwing

Guest brucebridges

I agree completely with such an organization. Hopefully your efforts will be more successful than my previous suggestions to the group.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to assist in this. YOu can write me at brucebri@hotmail.com.

Thanks.