First tick of the season~

quote:
Anybody here have photos of what ticks look like on your skin, and/or during their process of penetration?

Here is a google images search.

This evaluates various tick removal tools. I use one much like the "tick nipper" and have been very happy with it.

Here is a nice article on tick removal that shows how to use tweezers or forceps to remove a tick and explains how not to remove one.

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Thanks for the info... I know how to do a google image search for "Ticks" though

Does nobody think to grab their camera when they see a tick in their leg?

Really? but it's sooo hard. icon_biggrin.gif

I just figured I would save any curious people the time because, like you noted, I haven't thought to grab a camera when I have had a tick on me. BUT, I'll try to do so next time just for you!!!! icon_razz.gif

pokeanim3.gif

[This message was edited by carleenp on April 11, 2003 at 02:34 PM.]

quote:
Has anyone gotten the immunzation for Lyme disease? I saw some information on the net- there is a shot, an immunization for it. Not sure how expensive it is, or how long it works, or how well it works...

There is both a human and canine immunization. I have had my dog immunized for the past several years (she is a tick magnet). I thought I had read somewhere that it wasn't very effective, especially the human one, but I just did some web research and didn't find much on that. I did find that there are some concerns about side effects. Of course there are always concerns about that with such things though. I also read that it can be administered after being bitten by an infected tick. I guess you would have to keep the tick and take it to the Dr. It was unclear whether it was less effective when used that way.

Do a google search for "lyme immunization." I figured I wouldn't post it so that Snazz wouldn't make fun of me again! icon_biggrin.gif

Maybe my entomologist mother who lurks on the boards but rarely posts will chime in on this. Are you out there Mom?

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Originally posted by SIDEWINDER:

Montana ticks can carry the dreaded Rocky Mountain Spotted fever so be very careful and check yourself after a trip in the woods or bushes. Found one on me the other day so beware. The only thing lower than a snakes belly is a wood tick.

sidewinder

LOST AND FOUND DEPT.

Montana isn't the only place for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. My dog picked it up from a tick in New Jersey.

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

quote:
Has anyone gotten the immunzation for Lyme disease? I saw some information on the net- there is a shot, an immunization for it. Not sure how expensive it is, or how long it works, or how well it works...

There is both a human and canine immunization. I have had my dog immunized for the past several years (she is a tick magnet). I thought I had read somewhere that it wasn't very effective, especially the human one, but I just did some web research and didn't find much on that. I did find that there are some concerns about side effects. Of course there are always concerns about that with such things though. I also read that it can be administered after being bitten by an infected tick. I guess you would have to keep the tick and take it to the Dr. It was unclear whether it was less effective when used that way.

Do a google search for "lyme immunization." I figured I wouldn't post it so that Snazz wouldn't make fun of me again! icon_biggrin.gif

Maybe my entomologist mother who lurks on the boards but rarely posts will chime in on this. Are you out there Mom?

http://outbreakcorp.hypermart.net/animation/pokemon/pokeanim3.gif

Dig a little deeper. The human vaccination was pulled about 2 yrs ago, I think. More info.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

While where are on the topic of ticks....

I was in the local CVS drug store today, and they had a GREAT sale on "Sawyer Controlled Release DEET" lotion. 20% deet in a 4oz bottle. Normally $4.99, on sale for.... get this.... 49 cents! Stock up now people!

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

After having one tick removed from my back 3 weeks ago, today I went loaded for "bar"!

Wore light colored clothing.

Sprayed permethrin on my shoes and pant legs.

Put Ben's 100% DEET on my legs just above the socks, neck, and arms.

Wore my leather cowboy hat. (Warm, but bug-proof.)

Had a couple on the front of my shirt, but none got inside. That'll teach those blood-suckers something.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Dig a little deeper. The human vaccination was pulled about 2 yrs ago, I think.

So much for my research skills, I shouldn't have stopped reading after the first page of my google search!

Interesting, since the canine vaccine is still available and according to my vet is fairly (but not near 100%) effective, with no serious side effect concerns. Oh well, the best prevention is as it has always been. Wear appropriate clothing and check yourself often for ticks. Fortunately, ticks tend to avoid me. But they do love my dog. Pulling 10-12 ticks off the dog after an outing gets pretty old!

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Does nobody think to grab their camera when they see a tick in their leg?

Um, NO... When a freaky insect has imbedded itself into your flesh, the last thing you think about is getting a photographic memento of the occasion. frog.gif

But.. how about this? The next time our tick-magnet Barney gets a "traveler", we will get out the new camera and do a juicy macro shot of the bloodsucking parasite for ya. Barney, like most living organisms, knows when his flesh has been penetrated by a parasite, but unfortunately for him.. he lacks the hands that us humanoids have been blessed with. You don't really need to know what they look like so much as to *while in a tick prone area* pull off your clothing once in a while and get your caching partner to do a thorough inspection. Luckily, we cache as a couple, and this hasn't been a problem. In fact at times it can be quite entertaining. icon_razz.gif

I (Zzzoey) got my first tick a few months ago. icon_redface.gif I wish I could say that I knew it had attached itself to me. However, it wasn't until later that day, while changing my geogrunge shirt.. that I felt the evil demon that had burrowed into my side. On a side note: Carry tweezers... and if you happen to get the opportunity to pull one out, don't twist it or pinch too hard.. and if you have any sort of alcohol around, it is best to kill the little bugger, as they can live through many things, including forceful detachment. Oh yeah, and don't forget to take your time.. and get a photo of it as it sucks your life force from you. icon_biggrin.gificon_mad.gificon_eek.gificon_smile.gif

Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick

Avoid the tick tock - Wear a Flea & Tick collar.

Would be funny if there were collars for humans?

[This message was edited by GOT GPS? on April 13, 2003 at 05:45 AM.]