Question for Organized State/Local Geocaching Groups

Rygel

Gals and Guys,

Why did you form your local geocaching organization? Some of us in NJ would like to form one but are meeting with great resistance from local cachers.

I'd like to get ideas on why you have created your organization.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

As I understand it, the 'River City Geocaching Society' was formed after a challenge from one of our fellow cachers to the south, claiming that none of us here ever seemed to go caching south of Elk Grove. A group of local cachers got together, blitzed a bunch of caches to the south and logged in as the River City Geocaching Society. Once those logs got posted, a forum thread was created, and a 'club' was formed. The name of the group was later changed to 'River City Geocaching and Dining Society' since we meet in pizza parlors and all like to eat. You can still check out the thread in the 'West and Southwest' groups section of the forums or visit www.rcgds.net

As to why we got organized...it's fun to exchange ideas, let other locals know about new caches planned and planted and getting together!

"Could be worse...could be raining"

Although I do NOT presume to represent the entire organizztion, I know that the Wisconsin Geocaching Association is currently trying to "formalize" membership just a bit more than they previously had. The reason is to provide a stronger 'voice' when dealing with state legislature and state agencies. By providing a list of members, the organization hopes to have more of a positive voice in promoting the activity of geocaching with the powers that be. I believe their ultimate hope is to educate the law-makers and strive to make geocaching a recognized and respected activity which will be accepted more readily in state, county, and city lands.

Click on the link in my sig or here http://www.mi-geocaching.org and read the about section. That may help you better than I could put it into my own words.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

So far so good, somewhat new owner of a second/new Garmin GPS V 20 plus finds so far with little to no problem. We'll see what happens when there are leaves on the trees again.

I live in northern Virginia, and have attended a number of event of the Maryland Geocaching Society. The Maryland group formed because of difficulties cachers were having with the state and local land management authorities.

Here in northern Virginia, land management authorities are just now becoming aware of our sport and are starting to ask questions. I've spent a bit of time organizing a club in northern Virginia because I realize that things can go south in a hurry. Right now our club members, mostly, prefer to be a loose association that promotes and supports the sport in northern Virginia, but that can also rise to meet challenges (that are going to be inevitable IMO) that come with the territory of our sport.

If you want to form a club in NJ go for it. Don't expect everyone to join. This sport is dynamic enough to have both loners and people who like social interaction.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.

-Ambrose Bierce, writer (1842-1914)

We have a very informal group in Nebraska. A few of us initially met socially, but we have began discussing whether to approach the state park system to work out a formal policy on caching. We also set up a yahoo group and have a social event coming up.

Great Plains Geocaching is a more formal group that I am a member of.

Anyway, you say you have resistance to forming a group. If that means some don't want to join, that should be ok. If it means some don't want to join and don't want others to form a group, then I'm curious about why they are against that.

pokeanim3.gif

umc gave you some good info on MiGO.

We also started out as more of a social group. People joined because there was more local talk in our discussion group.

Then as time went on we've formalized our group to address issues like land usage guidelines, education of the public, and in general just to be an organization that streamlines state-specific communication regarding geocaching to cachers and the public.

Of course, I like to think we are still primarily a social group. We've gotten involved with discussions with land management people out of neccesity. We all still prefer good old fashioned geocaching to politicking.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

Anyway, you say you have resistance to forming a group. If that means some don't want to join, that should be ok. If it means some don't want to join and don't want others to form a group, then I'm curious about why they are against that.

OK, I know rygel meant this as a general thread, but I'm gonna toss out some specifics in answer to Carleen's question.

Being one of those in NJ, I'm gonna say that it's not so much that people are against forming a group, per se. I see a few main problems people are having so far with this specific group.

First, it is claiming to be a state-wide group, yet appears to only really be interested in one certain area. This isn't California, this is NJ. Does a state 170 miles long tip to tip need 2-3 different regional groups? Probably not, but then having a major formation meeting at the less populated far tip of the state probably isn't going to interest the majority of cachers the group seeks.

Second, if you are going to make it esentially a small regional group, other people have a problem with it claiming to be representing geocaching on a state-level.

Third is membership itself. If its to be just a loose social kinda thing about geocaching, isnt that just geo-events best handled via GC.com?

If there is more to it, like resolving potential land manager issues, then why is the founder actively "recruiting" members from other states?

Also see issue number two, above.

For the record, the above is just my opinion on the forum posts, emails, and IMs flying back and forth. I'm not saying that I agree with all that or not, just that seems to be where alot of the resistance to forming the group is. As for the group itself, thats a whole diferent group of issues that has no place in the General forums, but needs to be resolved if things are gonna work out.

Childbirth is painful! icon_biggrin.gif

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Just because there is a local group, it doesn't mean they have to join. They can still find and hide caches as they have been.

Having an event cache or two will help you in getting these individuals together to meet. Event caches are great for getting to know the other local cachers. You can explain what the benefits are of starting a cacher club (One voice to land managers, etc.)

bandbass.gif

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

I seem to be the source of resistance. icon_smile.gif Nice to meet you.

I am not against anyone from joining any group.

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

quote:
Originally posted by Rygel:

Gals and Guys,

Why did you form your local geocaching organization? Some of us in NJ would like to form one but are meeting with great resistance from local cachers.

Why form a group? Well food of course!

Honestly my group is just an excuse to sit around once a month and eat and talk about geocaching. Honestly it is a pretty solitary sport for so many participants that it's nice to get together and laugh about things we expereince from different viewpoints.

Of course we have big statewide events, cleanups, and we work with the parks. One of my most active members works for the city parks department, which is a great help to me.

You don't need the approval of the locals to start a group. If you want to start one just do it. That's what I did. I've had as little as 4 people at some of the early meetings. We still had as much fun as we do now with 20-30 showing up.

If I had to, I could take or leave all the stuff that comes with a group. But I wouldn't ever want to give up the monthly relations I've built with some really interesting people.

beatnik

quote:
Originally posted by beatnik:

quote:
Originally posted by Rygel:

Gals and Guys,

Why form a group? Well food of course!

I thought it was for the beer!

17406_1900.jpg

coach: what's the story, norm?

norm: thirsty guy walks into a bar. you finish it.