A word of Warning about the placement of caches

icon_eek.gif I thought it might be prudent to post a word of warning about the placement of caches on or near Goverment property. I recently was browsing thru the cache list for my area in San Diego, CA when I came across a cache that was placed near the base I am stationed on. In the comments section below, someone asked if it was of government property of not. I would think it isn't (I haven't gone looking for it yet). Regardless, in these times, I would think twice of placing a cache anywhere remotely near a military base/government building etc.(or any major public area for that matter, i.e. urban caches). Security, regardless of the threat level (fusicia/lime striped is my favorite icon_rolleyes.gif), is always fairly high in certain areas, and a cache might be mistaken for something that is a threat. This could cause several problems, among them: false alarms to police, and firefighting personell, possible arrest/detention, and the worst...casting a bad light and suspicion on our sport. This could lead to bad things for us, and perhaps banning. It does not take much for base security on a military base to respond these days, and I am sure that they would not take kindly to find out that you were just planting a cache. My suggestion is that it you clearly mark your cache as a geocache, with a reference to the website so that if anyone does stumble across it, they will be able to figure it out and not panic icon_redface.gif. I realize there may be post's concerning this on this website, but I have not read them all....yet. Just a thought to keep in mind when you are planting the cache, especially around any military installation/fed building.

Ashtro1969 (somebody in the know icon_wink.gif...)

This is covered in the Cache Listing Requirements/Guidelines; specifically, under the heading "Off Limit (Physical) Caches" where it says:

quote:
We're assuming that you asked permission to post your cache. However, if we see any listing description mentioning ignoring "No Trespassing" signs (or any other obvious issues), your listing will be automatically archived.

Caches will be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

Caches on National Park Service maintained lands

Caches that are buried - If a shovel/trowel/pointy object is used to dig - in order to hide or find a cache - it's not appropriate.

Caches hidden by active railroad tracks

Caches near or in military installations

Caches under public structures deemed targets for terrorist attacks

Caches placed on vacation.

It's great that you had the common sense to note this as a newcomer to the site, without reading all the rules and forum postings. Welcome to geocaching.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

There is a cache in Ft Hood near Killeen Texas that is in the middle of the base, in a wooded sector designated for recreational use by base personnel as well as civilian outsiders. To get to the cache you have to not only obtain a vehicle pass to get in the base, you need a special access permit to gain access to the recreational area. And yes, they know there's a geocache out there and encourage civilians to visit and make use of the recreational sector. Despite the red tape one has to go through to get to the actual cache area, it is one of the best and most unique caches in Texas (GCB72). Where else can you ride your 4WD vehicle and mix it up with actual TANKS?

I didn't realize that it was posted in the rules about placing caches, I hadn't read it yet as I have just got into doing this.I figured that there probably was a rule, written or otherwise, but still....Like I said..even remotely close to a base can be dangerous. That is of course you have permission from the base as Lowracer mentioned about in his post. Personally, while I can see the point of all the hightened security, I think America in general has become a bit too paranoid (myself included at times icon_redface.gif!). That is one of the objectives of terrorist organizations, to make people worry about what could happen. Crazy world we live in... icon_frown.gif.

Ashtro1969 (someone in the know icon_wink.gif)

quote:
Originally posted by Ashtro1969:

I didn't realize that it was posted in the rules about placing caches, I hadn't read it yet as I have just got into doing this.I figured that there probably was a rule, written or otherwise, but still....Like I said..even remotely close to a base can be dangerous. That is of course you have permission from the base as Lowracer mentioned about in his post. Personally, while I can see the point of all the hightened security, I think America in general has become a bit too paranoid (myself included at times icon_redface.gif!). That is one of the objectives of terrorist organizations, to make people worry about what _could_ happen. Crazy world we live in... icon_frown.gif.

Ashtro1969 (someone in the know icon_wink.gif)

No problem. A little reminder now and then to use common sense is a good thing in my opinion.

God knows some of us forget to use it. ;D

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

Hmmm.... well.... what do you all think of THIS CACHE? Not only is it posted no trespassing, it also was a military impact zone, and has a fence blocking the trailhead.

It is also one of the most popular caches in the area.

Guess it slipped through the cracks. Some day some cacher will get arrested and charged with federal trespassing. Well, maybe not with most of the soldiers deployed.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Awesome thought!!! At any rate....what I meant by remotely near is within site of the Federal property sign. Then again, at a huge base who's borders seem to go on forever, I guess hiding one out in the north 40 near the boundry (not over it) is one thing. What I was mainly concerned with is getting to close to an area that has activity going on around it...yeah, common sense I would suppose, but some people might not think about it. Training takes place all over military base's, and one should remain aware of his surroundings/what's going on. I've stumbled on, and been stumbled upon by people wandering around where they should not be when out in the field. It's usually innocent enough (lost, didn't see the signs, etc...), but it sometimes startled the crap outta me, and almost always them (because I am carrying a weapon of some sort) to have that happen. Go fig....I mean what's so startling about a person cammied out, carrying an M-16A2, a K-bar and a Berreta icon_eek.gif? Lol....

Ashtro1969