Night only caches?

MTBguy

I have been wanting to do a night only cache for a long time now. I was planning to use reflective twist ties, but havn't found them anywhere. Other people have suggested reflective tape, solor powered patio lights, blinking LEDs, ect.

I was wanting to make a trail which you would have to follow at night. The posted coords would be for the begining of the trail, which wold lead you to the cache.

I know this has been done before, but I havn't seen it discused here before. Does anyone have any suggestion for the trail of light? And do you know of any caches similer to what I am wanting to do?

So far I know of three like this:

Night Vision

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark

and Arkalon #8

Thanks for any suggestions!

The Mountain Bike Guy.

17228_200.jpg

Long Live Long Rides!

I really enjoyed Marty621's Night Vision cache. I can't believe no one has searched for it since January!!

I do have a couple of comments that might interest anyone setting up a similar cache:

Marty used reflective tape and tacks, which he placed in trees as high as he could reach. It's a good idea that works really well.

Following the trail back out is a little harder ... I would suggest placing markers on the opposite side of the tree as well; perhaps cutting the tape to different shapes for the front and back so the direction of travel is obvious. (Or using two pieces of tape side-by-side on the inward path, and only a single piece on the outward, or vice versa.)

I have a roll of something the military calls “glint-tape” but I can’t tell you what it’s used for. It’s very reflective, even to visible light from a flashlight. E-mail me your address and I’ll send along a couple feet.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

I have a roll of something the military calls “glint-tape” but I can’t tell you what it’s used for. It’s very reflective, even to visible light from a flashlight. E-mail me your address and I’ll send along a couple feet.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

If you tell us do you have to kill us?

I do not really want links to threads about people hunting reguler caches at night, but info about geocaches specificly designed for people to find them at night. How do people make them? What do they use? How long is the trail? How did they identify the cache location? If any of you have hunted a night specific cache (not just a cache at night) please tell me about it.

The Mountain Bike Guy.

17228_200.jpg

Long Live Long Rides!

"Fear"

This may be what you are looking for. Read the logs and look at the photos. I still don't know what to think about them. I would love to do a cache like this one.

KYtrex

-----------------

A "Buckeye" is just a "Hillbilly" that ran out of money on the way to Michigan jpshakehead.gif

[This message was edited by KYtrex on July 03, 2002 at 10:05 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by MTBguy:

I do not really want links to threads about people hunting reguler caches at night, but info about geocaches specificly designed for people to find them at night. How do people make them? What do they use? How long is the trail? How did they identify the cache location? If any of you have hunted a night specific cache (not just a cache at night) please tell me about it.

Well, in the night only cache I hunted, the posted waypoint for the cache took you to a small clearing, a fair ways off the trail. Once you reached the waypoint, the cache description instructed you to shine your flashlight in the woods, and figure it out. Doing so, I spotted a cluster made up if bits of relective tape, tacked fairly high up on a tree trunk, maybe 30-50ft away. Being so small, and above normal eye level, its doubtful you could spot them in the dayight, unless you knew exactly where to look. The cluster marked the start of the trail. By shining your flashlight thru the woods, you were able to light up a trail of marked trees, every 25ft or so. the last tree also had a cluster, marking the end of the trail. Cashe was hidden very close by, in a manner consistant with the cache placer's other caches (trying not to give TOO much away here!). If there was any downside to the cache at all, was that there was no reflective tape marking the way back, so if you didnt know how to backtrack your route on the GPS, (or if you just try to bushwack directly back to your car, like I did, heheheh)you might have some problems.

Illegitimus non carborundum!

I made a night-time cache in a spot that had a really good view of the night sky. I bought two big washers (maybe 1 inch dia.), some metal wire, and reflective tape from the automotive section of wal-mart. I just put the tape on the washers and tied the washers to a tree. They're cheap (I used maybe 3 inches of the 10 feet of tape) and they've been up there for a year, and REALLY reflective. The thing is, they're kind of visible during the day, and people might tamper with it if it's in a high-traffic area.

The cache is just off in the woods about 100 feet...no specific trail to it, hidden under a bush. VERY findable with a flashlight, but noone's gonna stumble across it.

Good luck..let us know how it works out!

-pizzachef