what about ratings?

I just noticed (responding to emails a 1/2-hour ago) that the insidecorner.com stats were WAY off... (My 82 finds were shown as 60-something which was months ago.)

I put my FTF list in my profile for the heck of it...

We certainly don't want to burden the GC server or distract Jeremy while there are still log-in issues pending!

Enjoy,

Randy

not interested in stats. don't know how many FF's i have. wouldn't post them if i knew.

i think it would be a bad idea to turn this into a competitive sport. you can already play it competitively if you want.

i would worry that if these things had official stats, the number whores would go nuts.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

quote:
Originally posted by RJFerret:

I just noticed (responding to emails a 1/2-hour ago) that the insidecorner.com stats were WAY off... (My 82 finds were shown as 60-something which was months ago.)

We certainly don't want to burden the GC server or distract Jeremy while there are still log-in issues pending!

Enjoy,

Randy

You have to stay on the site and use the update option for the ones not listed. I've been staying No 2 in my state by having the site fill in the missing caches. Time to get to work on that the competition has passed me again...

i'm famously competitive. i will get out of bed way before the sun comes up and drive three hours in freezing rain to get a FF, but i don't keep track of how many i've gotten. and i don't wouldn't want official rankings if i knew the number.

i will not tell you HOW early i'm willing to get up, because i want people trying to beat me there to have to guess.

i'm all for people playing the game competitively, but i really feel that an official ranking might discourage the more casual players. i keep fanatical handwritten logs of every cache and benchmark i have visited.

IF i want to know how i stack up against the other players (and i sort of don't), i can do the math. much of my esteem for other players comes not from their stats anyway. to earn my respect, you will be either a clever player (finding OR hiding), you will be game for (almost) any challenge, you will be generous with material or thought (logs), or you will be especially kind and good company. if i don't see any of these qualities, i don't care if you've found two a day for two years. i'm still not impressed.

i race mountain bikes. when i see a new girl on the race course, i don't go out of my way to kick her butt; i want to make sure she has a good time and will come back. THEN i'll try to kick her butt.

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

It would be difficult for a stats site to keep track of FTFs, because many times the first to post online was not the first to sign the logbook.

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on August 06, 2003 at 06:42 AM.]

This is true... but maybe it would urge people to log quicker and keep track of travel bugs more efficiently. I would love to know how I rate up against other cachers in California or in the U.S. etc. Something similar to www.wheresgeorge.com rating system.

Happy Hunting!!! Watch out travel bugs... here we come.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

You mean like http://www.insidecorner.com/geocaching/stats/states.cgi?country=United%20States&state=New%20Jersey

_"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry_

yes... like there. but this site was last updated sep. 19, 2002. that's no fun! [icon_smile.gif]

Happy Hunting!!! Watch out travel bugs... here we come.

For about the umpteenth time... The stats SITE DESIGN hasn't been updated since 9/19/2002. The STATS update every 15 minutes, by looking at the "latest cache logs" page that's accessed from the main gc.com homepage. And if your stats are "off", just use the tool provided there to fix them.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

quote:
es... like there. but this site was last updated sep. 19, 2002. that's no fun

Ummm, the stats are up to date. It has my finds from last week. It will sometimes miss a find or two, but you can add them.

quote:
This is true... but maybe it would urge people to log quicker and keep track of travel bugs more efficiently. I would love to know how I rate up against other cachers in California or in the U.S. etc. Something similar to www.wheresgeorge.com rating system.

Here ya go. Yer #708 in CA.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on August 07, 2003 at 12:23 PM.]

quote:

Mine are way off too. I have 91 finds, stats says i only have 60 something, and I have 4 hides and it says 2. And the crappy thing is cause of my screen name having an apostrophe in it, it doesn't recognize me when i try to look up the finds that are missing, so i can't even email the ID's of the ones i'm missing. So I gave up.

"The more I study nature, the more I am amazed at the Creator."

- Louis Pasteur

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

For about the umpteenth time... The stats SITE DESIGN hasn't been updated since 9/19/2002. The STATS update every 15 minutes, by looking at the "latest cache logs" page that's accessed from the main gc.com homepage. And if your stats are "off", just use the tool provided there to fix them.

Last time I tried that, it still wasn't working with members-only caches, even using the 'fix'. Is it possible to do so now?

Ron/yumitori

---

Remember what the dormouse said...

quote:
Originally posted by yumitori:

Last time I tried that, it still wasn't working with members-only caches, even using the 'fix'. Is it possible to do so now?

Nope, not on your own. Sorry 'bout that... we have no MOC's in my area so it is not a problem with which I have to deal.

The solution for MOC's is for the owner to periodically remove the MOC restriction, making it a regular public cache, then trot over to the Stats site to do a "missing logs" update, then go back and make the cache into a MOC again. (Yeah, not too elegant.)

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

quote:
Originally posted by flask:

i'm famously competitive. i will get out of bed way before the sun comes up and drive three hours in freezing rain to get a FF, but i don't keep track of how many i've gotten. and i don't wouldn't want official rankings if i knew the number.

i will not tell you HOW early i'm willing to get up, because i want people trying to beat me there to have to guess.

That's nice flask, but I don't really care how early you get up ... I've got twice as many first finds as you have total finds. icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on August 07, 2003 at 01:26 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

The solution for MOC's is for the owner to periodically remove the MOC restriction, making it a regular public cache, then trot over to the Stats site to do a "missing logs" update, then go back and make the cache into a MOC again. (Yeah, not too elegant.)

Exactly. When I had active MOCs, I would do this during the off-off hours so that people would get credit for the finds on Dan's site while keeping the odds low that any local "non-members" would be awake to download the cache during the short time it was in the "public domain." icon_wink.gif

i'm not taking the bait... i'm just not doing it.

i STILL maintain that an official ratings system would have the number whores in a tizzy. and that includes me. i should not be aware of any ranking that i may or may not have. i just shouldn't be allowed to know.

for my montain bike races i used to keep elaborate charts and graphs and record EVERYTHING. now i'm having a lot more fun and (i mention in passing) i'm doing better, too.

quote:

Enjoy,

Randy

I liked your idea regarding having the FTF's in the profile. So much so that I decided to copy the idea. I hope you don't mind! icon_smile.gif

--CoronaKid

quote:

i STILL maintain that an official ratings system would have the number whores in a tizzy. and that includes me. i should not be aware of any ranking that i may or may not have. i just shouldn't be allowed to know.

Well, the caching situations are so different in different parts of the country (not to mention other countries) that stats from outside your local area are really pretty meaningless. But it's fun watching the local stats in order to see how (and what) the other locals have been doing.

First of all, your prediction that the numbers whores would be in a tizzy is just speculation. Secondly, so what?! Let 'em go crazy finding and placing caches. If you don't care about the numbers, then it shouldn't bother you if others do.

quote:

i'm not taking the bait... i'm just not doing it.

for my montain bike races i used to keep elaborate charts and graphs and record EVERYTHING. now i'm having a lot more fun and (i mention in passing) i'm doing better, too.

quote:
Originally posted by hammack:

First of all, your prediction that the numbers whores would be in a tizzy is just speculation.

true, but I agree with him.

quote:
if you don't care about the numbers, then it shouldn't bother you if others do.

ya, but we have to listen to it in the forums and theres already enough kvetching, moaning, whining and *****ing going on I dont think we need any more. + a lot of times it gets downright ugly. just mention [dons flameproof suit] CCCooper Agency and you're likely to start a riot. well it used to be that way, but even lately I've seen it happen.

what was that one guys signature line? "Never trust someone with over 1000 finds" ? To which i emailed him and asked him if he'd stop trusting Stayfloopy when he hit that #. No answer. Didnt think there be one.

william

alt.gif