geographic loacation and cache items

The Weasel

Hiya Folks, got a topic here I was wondering if anybody else noticed. I have been reading quite a few threads and links to caches and have come to a conclusion. The caches and cachers on the west coast have all the cool cache items. The have the coolest geocoins and signature items I have seen so far. Don't get me wrong, I have seen some cool cache items on the west coast, but not near as cool as the west coast items. THEN you come to my stomping grounds, the McWest. It seems like my area (Iowa) is the McToy, silly putty, and little green plastic army men, and spare change capital of the world. I think if you collected all the spare change in the caches around here, it would make Fort Knox look like a piggy bank. I don't think there isn't a time that you couldn't find at least 2 of those above mentioned items in any cache around here. Has anybody else notice this geographical oddity?

P.S.--The McWest has an open invitation to all you east and west coasters to come on over and do some caching. Make sure to bring all your cool coins and signature items cuz we have PLEANTY of McToys, silly putty, and little green army guys to go around!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I've found caches filled with junk on the west coast and caches filled with lots of great stuff here on the east coast.

There may be some regional differences if one of the more prolific, early cache hiders in an area had a certain style...because subsequent geocachers would often copy that person. But now that there are usually so many different cache hiders in each area, that this isn't so much the case anymore. I don't see it as a regional thing.

At least in the east, we don't find many caches wrapped in plastic garbage bags. Saw a lot of that on my trip to Ca. YUK!

"The rainbow is more beautiful than the pot at the end of it, because the rainbow is now and the pot never turns out to be quite what I expected." - Hugh Prather

While I've only just hit #125, I live on the very west coast and in the land of the 1/1. It's pretty safe to say there's a lotta Mc going down around here.

Mc. Spare Change. Little Green Army Men. Dice seem to be big. Rocks. Fishing bobbers. Ooooh, Pokemon cards. Plastic fob advertisement key chains. Cheap beat up Hot Wheels knock offs. Plastic beaded necklaces that break in a trice. Lots of busted kid toys. It's not all wine and roses out here either. Whine maybe. No roses.

Sometimes I let the kids trade things (no junk for junk going on here - we're working on fair and equitable trades, but it's hard!) We picked up marbles, chalk, a tiny deck of cards, oooh, 100 Rubles... and left things like Hand Warmer sets, new-in-package Hot Wheels, Batteries in the package, new playdough sets, a couple marshmallow guns I made up last week, blah blah blah. So, see, it's not ALL crap, but the majority of it is. We expect it, but my kids really enjoy the ones that have fun/good/not-beat-up stuff in them when we find them!

We even have some of Brian Snat's belov'd 'wrapped in black plastic garbage bag' caches! (We trashed a bag out yesterday because it was so full of water and slimy and gross that, well, it just needed to be gone - ironically enough, the box inside was perfectly dry and since it was surrounded by the watery bag o goo, I'm going to guess it will do o.k. in the rain!)

McToys are everywhere. They breed like rabbits. Once you put them in a cache and close the lid, as long as there are two in there to start with, it's like Tribbles. They propagate!

I did have the opportunity to cache in a very cache rich area a month ago and ended up finding a geocoin - very nice to find/move on - but eh.

I'd choose a harder cache over whatever's in the box at the moment.

I take it you didnt get much reply when you asked if anyone was interested in ordering some coins?

For what it is worth, we consider your polished rocks to be something of a collectable item. We restocked a waterlogged cache last weekend and left a rock or two that I had been carrying around for most of a year (I think it came from Yo-Da-Lin in the Valley).

I take it you didnt get much reply when you asked if anyone was interested in ordering some coins?

For what it is worth, we consider your polished rocks to be something of a collectable item. We restocked a waterlogged cache last weekend and left a rock or two that I had been carrying around for most of a year (I think it came from Yo-Da-Lin in the Valley).

Well if you like the polished rocks, I've got good news!! I have a batch that will be finished up on Sunday. I love to polish rocks, but its such a long process. It takes 6 weeks per batch of rocks. There are 2 different grits and a polish that I use, each taking 2 weeks to run. I usually have 3 rock tumblers going at a time so I can get bigger batches out. This next batch will have some pretty cool rocks in it. Really cool colors. So look forward for some of these to come to a cache near you!!

As far as the coin goes, didn't really get a lot of feedback on it, so I will have to start saving my pennies to save up for it. Hmmm, maybe I should do a piggy bank cache where cachers can leave a donation? hmmm, I've got a idea!! :P

Hiya Folks, got a topic here I was wondering if anybody else noticed. I have been reading quite a few threads and links to caches and have come to a conclusion. The caches and cachers on the west coast have all the cool cache items. The have the coolest geocoins and signature items I have seen so far. Don't get me wrong, I have seen some cool cache items on the west coast, but not near as cool as the west coast items. THEN you come to my stomping grounds, the McWest. It seems like my area (Iowa) is the McToy, silly putty, and little green plastic army men, and spare change capital of the world. I think if you collected all the spare change in the caches around here, it would make Fort Knox look like a piggy bank. I don't think there isn't a time that you couldn't find at least 2 of those above mentioned items in any cache around here. Has anybody else notice this geographical oddity?<BR><BR>P.S.--The McWest has an open invitation to all you east and west coasters to come on over and do some caching. Make sure to bring all your cool coins and signature items cuz we have PLEANTY of McToys, silly putty, and little green army guys to go around!!!! icon_biggrin.gif<!--graemlin::D-->

I think I've seen this thread before Weasel... :P

Never noticed any plastic army men :D lol

But whats with the spare change?? :D

Hiya Folks, got a topic here I was wondering if anybody else noticed. I have been reading quite a few threads and links to caches and have come to a conclusion. The caches and cachers on the west coast have all the cool cache items. The have the coolest geocoins and signature items I have seen so far. Don't get me wrong, I have seen some cool cache items on the west coast, but not near as cool as the west coast items. THEN you come to my stomping grounds, the McWest. It seems like my area (Iowa) is the McToy, silly putty, and little green plastic army men, and spare change capital of the world. I think if you collected all the spare change in the caches around here, it would make Fort Knox look like a piggy bank. I don't think there isn't a time that you couldn't find at least 2 of those above mentioned items in any cache around here. Has anybody else notice this geographical oddity?<BR><BR>P.S.--The McWest has an open invitation to all you east and west coasters to come on over and do some caching. Make sure to bring all your cool coins and signature items cuz we have PLEANTY of McToys, silly putty, and little green army guys to go around!!!!  icon_biggrin.gif<!--graemlin::P-->

I think I've seen this thread before Weasel... :D

Never noticed any plastic army men :D lol

But whats with the spare change?? :D

The spare change would go to either a Iowa geocoin or a CR geocachers coin. Anything to offset the cost is ok in my book. Well, maybe not holdin up a bank or robbing a little old lady. I do have some morals :D

The spare change would go to either a Iowa geocoin or a CR geocachers coin. Anything to offset the cost is ok in my book. Well, maybe not holdin up a bank or robbing a little old lady. I do have some morals :P

Oh is that it!

And I was thinking there was a plot to get payphones installed at every cache :D

For what it is worth, we consider your polished rocks to be something of a collectable item.  We restocked a waterlogged cache last weekend and left a rock or two that I had been carrying around for most of a year (I think it came from Yo-Da-Lin in the Valley).

Well if you like the polished rocks, I've got good news!! I have a batch that will be finished up on Sunday. I love to polish rocks, but its such a long process. It takes 6 weeks per batch of rocks. There are 2 different grits and a polish that I use, each taking 2 weeks to run. I usually have 3 rock tumblers going at a time so I can get bigger batches out. This next batch will have some pretty cool rocks in it. Really cool colors. So look forward for some of these to come to a cache near you!!

As far as the coin goes, didn't really get a lot of feedback on it, so I will have to start saving my pennies to save up for it. Hmmm, maybe I should do a piggy bank cache where cachers can leave a donation? hmmm, I've got a idea!! :)

Ran across a small plastic box full of the rocks this weekend. Left them for the next person....After seeing them though, I got to thinking about this thread again and did some googling for promotional coins. THe hit that caught my eye was Custom Promotional Coins. They seem to have a good variety of materials, styles and prices. I didnt compare them to anyplace else though.

I also played with making my own this weekend. I havnt found the "right" way to to put my logo on them yet so Ill keep playing.