GPS resolution

Guest gwc

Does anyone know....if the Magellan GPS 320 will do distance resolution down to the foot level? As in '200 feet from waypoint'.

I am in the process of recommending a GPS to a new geocaching addict and I initially recommended the Magellan GPS 315 which is what I have but remembered that the one feature I would like to have on mine is resolution down to the foot.

If the Magellan GPS 320 doesn't do this, does anyone know if any of the Magellan's have this capability. Thanks in advance!

Guest bob_renner

quote:
Originally posted by mcb:

...Of these the DD MM.MMM formate is the most accurate. 0.001 minute of latitude or longitude is going to be about six ...

Precision (Approx)

DD MM SS.S 10. ft.

DD MM.MMM 6. ft.

DD.DDDDD 3.6 ft.

All of these are greater than the ACCURACY of the GPS system when using consumer grade receivers.

Guest ericdb1

GWC,

If you do the 3.14 firmware upgrade to your Magellan 315/320 you will find that the DISTANCE will then show FEET once you get below 0.01 miles.

The firmware upgrade can be found at:

http://www.magellangps.com/frames/frame5.htm

I found this upgrade very helpful, however make sure that you save your current waypoints as they WILL be overwritten in favor of the firmware upgrade. it is nice to see the feet count down now. Accuracy though will depend on so many factors, but it does read very close every time I have used it so far.

I have a 320.

Regards,

Eric icon_smile.gif

Guest ericdb1

GWC,

If you do the 3.14 firmware upgrade to your Magellan 315/320 you will find that the DISTANCE will then show FEET once you get below 0.01 miles.

The firmware upgrade can be found at:

http://www.magellangps.com/frames/frame5.htm

I found this upgrade very helpful, however make sure that you save your current waypoints as they WILL be overwritten in favor of the firmware upgrade. it is nice to see the feet count down now. Accuracy though will depend on so many factors, but it does read very close every time I have used it so far.

I have a 320.

Regards,

Eric icon_smile.gif

Guest MadGPS

gws,

I have the Mag315,and since I updated to firmware ver3.14,it has the feature you are asking about and it goes like this after reaching lest then a 100 meters 80m,60m,30m,20m,10,8m,5m,3m,alllll the way to 0m."m" stand for "meters"... icon_wink.gif

MadGPS icon_biggrin.gif

Guest MadGPS

gws,

I have the Mag315,and since I updated to firmware ver3.14,it has the feature you are asking about and it goes like this after reaching lest then a 100 meters 80m,60m,30m,20m,10,8m,5m,3m,alllll the way to 0m."m" stand for "meters"... icon_wink.gif

MadGPS icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Silver

Hard Slate,

I sent in the suggestion to update the Garmin GPS12 last week. Here is the reply I got from Garmin.

quote:
All eTrex series units will show distances in feet up to 528 ft. Regarding our other products like the GPS 12, there are no plans at this time to create an upgrade to enable measurements to be given in feet. I can't make any promises, however I will forward your e-mail to the product design team for their review and consideration.

Looks like if there is another software release for the GPS12 it might be included. Maybe if other people ask about an update to the GPS12?

Silver

Guest ericdb1

MadGPS, as you said it will count down either meters or feet, depends on what you have selected in setup under "Nav Units". Either way it is nice to have the distance count to below 0.01. You agree?

icon_smile.gif

Guest ericdb1

MadGPS, as you said it will count down either meters or feet, depends on what you have selected in setup under "Nav Units". Either way it is nice to have the distance count to below 0.01. You agree?

icon_smile.gif

Guest Cape Cod Cache

Hard Slate and Silver, don't hold your breath for the GPS 12 series, I think the E-trex seies is going to supersede them. I have a Gps48, the cream of the crop a few years ago, and it's on it's way out. Irony is it was designed for marine use, and it's the only unit that ISN'T waterpoof. Bummer, I like the 'remote control' feel of the 12 series.