Canada's equiv to WAAS

Kerry.

Canada has now announced it's differential system, which is similar to WAAS in being satellite differential but produces RTCM correction data.

Canada's Satellite Differential system

One difference is it will "cost" as one will require to purchase a special receiver, which can be connected to ANY GPS, which is Differential ready. With this receiver further useage is free with no ongoing subscription costs. This may be the way of the future as WAAS is an extremely expensive system, which few countries can afford anyway, yet still require differential service capabilities at an affordable cost

Interesting that some manufacturers have dropped differential ready options from some GPS receivers, which of course now will exclude any of these from being used with this type of service.

The level of accuracy provided with this system will be dependant on the users actual GPS equipment and the cost benefit will be relative to actual accuarcy required.

For caching probably not all that useful relative to the cost but the option is there for anybody that wants (needs?) it.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

quote:
CDGPS is a new nation-wide DGPS service developed for the Canadian market that provides unmatched accuracy and coverage for positioning applications across the country.

Sounds like this is the Canadian equivalent to the existing DGPS in the states. Not really the equivalent of WAAS. I think DGPS has existed in the U.S for a while now and is being mainly used by ships and other water vessels.

quote:
Originally posted by ChiefPig:

Sounds like this is the Canadian equivalent to the existing DGPS in the states. Not really the equivalent of WAAS. I think DGPS has existed in the U.S for a while now and is being mainly used by ships and other water vessels.

It's partly WAAS like (probably more WAAS like than DGPS), in that it uses a combined network of ground stations to a central command, then transmits those corrections via geo stationary satellites. The satellite re-transmitted corrction data (to this point it's basically a mirror of WAAS) is then received by a "special" receiver (unlike WAAS but closer to DGPS beacons), which converts the corrections into standard RTCM type corrections, which are similar to what USCG type differential stations transmit via radio beacon.

Really it's central primary workings is Wide Area Satellite Differential "similar" to WAAS.

DGPS (as per USCG) is radio transmitted based on a single ground based refernce station but the U.S have been in the process for some time to expand this "conventional" ground based augmentation system on a national basis and is a joint national transport project not just coastguard..

US National Differential GPS

Olar, no it's certainaly not something the normal cacher would require but it's becoming interesting the different track different countries (even ajoining countries) are taking to improve affordable cost effective accuracy, might even be classed competitive accuracy?

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by ChiefPig:

quote:
CDGPS is a new nation-wide DGPS service developed for the Canadian market that provides unmatched accuracy and coverage for positioning applications across the country.

the canadian coast guard has had dgps for 10-12 years, this service was available to the public for a cost of about $1200/month. i thought that someone told me recently that by 2008 that most if not all of the existing dgps stations will be converted to the waas type signal corrections.

'Get to the point---speak English!!!!'

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry:

It's partly WAAS like (probably more WAAS like than DGPS), in that it uses a combined network of ground stations to a central command, then transmits those corrections via geo stationary satellites. The satellite re-transmitted corrction data (to this point it's basically a mirror of WAAS) .....

Now if only they would tie this into the WAAS network of ground reference stations so that the corrections for WAAS would be valid. There is a proposed CWAASsystem but it seems stalled at this point.

PDOP's GPS Pages