Garmin GPS V is coming!!!

Guest bubba232

Guest bubba232

For those of us that have the best (III+), this might be what we're waiting for. icon_smile.gif

Same small package, and STREET ROUTABLE! woohoo!!

Go check it out.

Hmmm, there might be a rash of Vista's going to the auction block. hehehe

S.

Guest tnunnery

Looks interesting, especially for a car (if you don't have a built-in nav system.) I certainly wouldn't want to go trudging through the woods with this thing - not exactly an ergonomic device. Also, I don't think it will give me turn-by-turn routes when cache hunting. "Left at the next tree 35 meters ahead..." icon_smile.gif It also looks like it is a little short on map memory. Does it have an external antenna jack?

Guest makaio

Those units are nice for vehicle travel where they can be mounted, but for a handheld unit when tromping through the woods, you cant beat an eTrex.

Guest Hawk-eye

quote:
Originally posted by bob_renner:

... this isn't cheap though - $535.70

Bob

$535 ... YIKES! ... Definitely a driving GPS, not the kind to lug around in the woods ... amazing though, what they're offering in such a small package ... May have to wait awhile on that one ... Still love my Vista!

Guest jeremy

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk-eye:

$535 ... YIKES!

For that price you certainly get a bang for your buck though. It's not necessarily a geocaching tool but a great way to get around town without having to buy an expensive in-dash system. I suppose if you encased it in bubble wrap and waterproofing it would be a good hiking companion.

There are folks who use their Handspring and a Geodiscovery Geode though, which would be comparable in price.

Whatever happened to those Windows-CE enabled in-dash systems with Mp3 and all sorts of navigational mumbo-jumbo? I haven't heard about them in a while. As with most Microsoft products, we'll probably have to wait for Version 6 before it's useful.

Jeremy

Couple of points.

First off if Garmin suggest $535.70 for a unit then you know your going to get it for a bit cheaper. The eTrex(yellow one) lists on Garmin's site for $145 You can easily get it for $110 if you look around.

Second even at that price its not bad. You get a WAAS cabable GPS with internal route planning and the metroguide software in that package. You spent how much on that tiny little Vista (350 maybe less) and then how much more on Mapsource Metro(120 maybe a little less)? Add it up I think you will see that the V will be a good value. Vista plus metro is going to be say $450 if you get a good deal.

Your $535 gets you the new version of Metro and a great GPS not to mention the vehical mount and cigarette adapter.

Those that think you would not want to walk throught the woods with it? I would just have to ask if you have held one of it predicesor. I have own a II, II+ and III+ and I loved that case. The turnable screen for horizontal and vertical use is slick. The triangular shape case fit nice in the hand. The II+ and then the III+ was Garmin's flagship GPS reciever when they where new. I'll bet the V will live up to this reputation. The III+ was one of the best all around GPS units out there. I'll bet the V continues this trend.

The eTrex units are really neat and if your strickly a hiker/backpacker then there the best option. But if you want to use it for other things then I think that the limitation of the eTrex will let you down.

Just my two cents.

mcb