Topo Software for Magellan Meridian

I've just purchased a Magellan Meridian which should be here in a day or so. I also purchased the mapsend street cd, which I can use at work or play. My question is, is Mapsend Topo the only compatable topo software that can be used with the Meridian? A friend has topo software which can print maps, and can probably be used for/with gps. For the amount of topo material I need, one or two maps, I can't justify buying a program. Are there any free Topo programs on the web compatable with a Meridian for the New England Area?

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

Henny Youngman (1906 - 1998)icon_rolleyes.gif

brianmcm,

If you haven't opened the Streets software yet, you might want to return it. The Topo software has all the same street info, just the POI data is different. And the Streets POI info is supposedly out-of-date, according to several postings.

quote:
Originally posted by EagleI:

brianmcm,

If you haven't opened the Streets software yet, you might want to return it. The Topo software has all the same street info, just the POI data is different. And the Streets POI info is supposedly out-of-date, according to several postings.

Actually, the MapSend Topo has the same street information as MapSend Streets & Destinations. It's my understanding that MapSend streets has a subset of the streets contained in the other two.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Actualy the unit has not arrived yet. What you are telling me is should return the Cd for the TOPO version? And what is POI? Points of Interest? I don't really need points of interest, I just need to know where I am and where I'm going.

Henny Youngman (1906 - 1998)icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by brianmcm:

<snip> I don't really need points of interest, I just need to know where I am and where I'm going.<snip>

In that case, save some bucks and buy a paper map. icon_smile.gif

For geocaching, the Topo CD will be most beneficial. You get streets and names, topographic points of interest (mineshafts and the like), and of course topographic contour lines with elevations.

With the Meridian and topo, you can also see elevation profiles of routes and tracks.

don

Thanks. I guess I'll just have my friend print out the map(s) I need. Since he's in the computer/printing business, he has the best of everything. His printer will probably print me a map that I can use.

Henny Youngman (1906 - 1998)icon_cool.gif