2 Meridian Gold questions

Insp Gadget

2 little questions concerning the Meridian Gold. I use this toy mostly for Geocaching. I find that when I get close to a cache, the MG changes it's "mind" about the location. At one point it could tell me that I'm 3m from a cache and suddenly say I'm 20m away. Both times the EPE is very low at around 3m.

The other questions is about tracks. Why does my MG not seem to record tracks very well? It can follow the path I took and all of a sudden veer off for several hundred meters before settling back down to the right spot.

Anyone else see these problems?

Yes. Constantly and consistently. icon_smile.gif

The activity you see happening on your GPS is very typical for several reasons.

1. With exception to the WAAS satellites, they are not geosynchronous. This means the geometric dynamics are constantly changing and thus the GPS receiver will always see a different location for the same coordinates within the same general area.

2. The way off tracking usually occurs as a satellite goes over a horizon and the switch-over the GPSr does to the next satellite hasn't quite settled in. It is akin to a new acquisition of satellites when you first turn on your computer.

Other factors will weigh in such as signal echo from surrounding buildings, rock faces, mountain sides, etc. Signal degradation from heavy foliage will cause the same symptoms. Electrical fields from high tension wires have been noted to cause some interference from mild to severe. There are many many more things that can interfere with a GPS receiver. It will help to remember the GPSr is receiving a signal that would be akin to reading a book from a 60 watt bulb that is located 20,000 miles above you.

Cheers!

TL