Let me try it here... Help please....

I posted this question in the getting started area. Got about 100 reads, and NO answers. I do not believe I am the only person in this spot....

I had been using Street Atlas USA for talking to my GPS. I found it clumsy, but workable. Then I discovered EasyGPS from this site. Nice, but no mapping. But... then there is ExpertGPS. Been playing with it just 5 days now, and I like it.

Having said all that, what are you using and why? What would you spend the cash on if you had to have just one program... mostly for topo work, but some streets too?

Thanks. Y-all have a great evening.

parker-hike.jpg

Mike and Parker testing out the E-Trex in the Franklin Mountains.

I use Mapsource City Select because the software came with my Garmin V and I am happy with it. Some others on this site will knock it I'm sure but the only thing I wish I had sometimes would be a topo overlay. I know this software was made for the GPS V and I don't know if it will work on other units or not.

KD9KC without any hesitation I would say Fugawi.

www.fugawi.com

excellent waypoint/route/track management

decent topos - at least in Canada. Have not seen U.S.

moving map GPS feature - very accurate

street overlays

lots of import and scanning maps

generally very easy to use

Good Luck in your quest.

By the way, its hard to see due to a shadow but is that a dog or a small horse with you in your picture?

Happy Caching, Olar

"remember that today is yesterdays tomorrow!"

I use National Geographic TOPO!. Works great for topo applications because its based on USGS topos. Its zoomable to 1:24000 and has excellent detail. Also manages waypoints and routes, has elevation and route elevation profile and is capable of live tracking (on a laptop) works great for offroading and getting close to a cache. Not real great for city use as the maps arent that up to date, but my G3+ maps are fine for that. It is pricey (about 100$ a state) but weel worth it.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there." Yogi Berra

JeepNAz@aol.com

Thanks... I do not normally backpack a laptop, or any kind of computer, on our outings. And my GPS is an E-Trex. It looks like Fugawi is much more than I need. But I did mark it for future consideration should I upgrade.

The picture is me and a 22 month old Great Dane. He is black/white, and tries to stay in my shadow when the sun gets too hot for him.

Mike. KD9KC

Which eTrex are you using? If it's the yellow, camo, summit, or venture, they don't accept downloaded maps. The Vista and Legend do accept downloaded maps.

I use MapSource MetroGuide 4.0. It does a great job with street-level detail and a lot of single track roads and social roads in this area. It is not topo, though.

The MapSource topo maps are 1:100000 scale, so they aren't that useful if you want details for hiking. But, if you want topo maps on your Garmin GPS, MapSource topo is your only choice.

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

13914_200.jpg

When I first got my Legend (W/O Mapsource), I tried expertGPS and bought it. I've got Mapsource now for the GPS for traveling, etc, but I still use ExpertGPS for the topo maps. With broadband, the topo maps display and can be moved in realtime. I enter the waypoints, or create my own on the topo map, save as a file for future reference and print the map to take with me. I think it's great!

Rich

I've got a Vista and use both Mapsource Topo and National Geographic Topo. WIth Mapsource I load all the maps I might need for a particular trip, and I save the NG program for a particular 7.5 map of a trail we'll be taking.

With the Vista, I can downlod maps, which has been a great feature.

Charlie

"One should never begin a journey by heading in the wrong direction."