GPS V reception problems

Guest gessner17

Guest gessner17

I have just upgraded my GPS receiver from the Garmin GPS III+ to the GPS V and have also owned an original III. My V seems to do really poor with holding a signal. It performs terrible compared to my III+ and III with the same external patch and antenna it comes with. I am just curious if anyone else is having any problems or heard of any issues with the GPS V. I would appreciate your input. One other not to all V owners, they just released the 2.02 firmware upgrade today www.garmin.com.

Matt.

Guest Big-BirdVa

I just got a Garmin V. Had a map 76 and was not happy with it. So far the V has been perfect. No signal loss or reception problems at all. I would think about sending it back or returning it for another. I'm sitting here uploading waypoints and I've got a signal lock inside my house. It sounds like something may be wrong with yours.

Guest worldtraveler

Very pleased with my GPS V. I also owned a Garmin III+ before selling it to a friend in order to buy the V. No regrets.

I'm not sure if the problem you are experiencing is the "Poor (or lost) satellite reception" message or the fluctuating accuracy estimations while stationary, so I'll address both.

As for the "poor satellite reception" message, I've experienced it only in impossible situations (i.e. tunnels, or prolonged times spent under highway overpasses). It seems to be at least as good as, if not better than, the III+ in that regard.

The accuracy, with WAAS enabled and a relatively clear view of the sky, is much better than I experienced with my III+. I've seen an averaged accuracy of 4.5 ft. in the clear, and I can usually get at least a 15-20 ft. accuracy in forested areas with fall foliage. I've used it in TN, MO, PA, & VA, so far.

Sometimes the accuracy estimation does seem to jump around quite a bit when I'm in the woods hunting a cache. When that happens and I'm close to the cache coords, I just go from "battery saver" to "normal" mode and it seems to help.

There has been some previous discussion (not specifically about the Garmin V) about the possibility of degraded accuracy when WAAS is enabled but the geometry of the selected satellites is less desirable than those selected when WAAS is disabled.

I'm certainly no expert in that field, but it may be possible that what you are experiencing is due to the above. Have you tried comparing the accuracy with WAAS enabled and disabled and at various locations?

------------------

Worldtraveler

[This message has been edited by worldtraveler (edited 17 November 2001).]

Guest gplawrence

oadable maps.

3) Higher resolution greyscale screen.

Does the GPS V really offer substantially better reception? Are there any other feature which make the GPS V a better buy than the GPSMAP 76?

Thanks.

Guest gplawrence

quote:
Originally posted by Big-BirdVa:

I just got a Garmin V. Had a map 76 and was not happy with it. So far the V has been perfect. No signal loss or reception problems at all. I would think about sending it back or returning it for another. I'm sitting here uploading waypoints and I've got a signal lock inside my house. It sounds like something may be wrong with yours.

Very interesting. I've had a 12XL for 3 years and while it's a great basic GPS, I was considering upgrading to a GPSMAP 76. I really like the form factor (screen size, external antenna, PC/power port) and durability of the 12XL but I would love to add the following options:

1) WAAS enhanced accuracy.

2) Downloadable maps.

Does the GPS V really offer substantially better reception? Are there any other feature which make the GPS V a better buy than the GPSMAP 76?

Thanks.

Guest gplawrence

quote:
Originally posted by Big-BirdVa:

Very interesting. I've had a 12XL for 3 years and while it's a great basic GPS, I was considering upgrading to a GPSMAP 76. I really like the form factor (screen size, external antenna, PC/power port) and durability of the 12XL but I would love to add the following options:

1) WAAS enhanced accuracy.

2) Downloadable maps.

Thanks.

Guest Hamster

The single biggest advantage to the GPS V I'd have to say is the auto-routing. Example, yesterday night I was out and about and needed to find a pharmacy, well I hit "find" nearest pharmacy. The GPS then gave me the name, address and phone of the nearest CVS. Which, I gather the GPS 76 can do also. However, I then hit "goto" and "fastest route" and the GPS then started guiding me along the roads to the Pharmacy. "Left onto Hudson Rd. 500ft" etc.

That is the big advantage. Also, say you want to navigate to a street address? Simply punch in the address and the GPS will guide you there step by step. What if you miss a turn? no problem, the GPS V will calculate a new route!!

the GPS V also has WAAS and 19mb of map space but those are roughly comparable to the GPSmap76. Oh In addition, the GPS V comes with a mount, a data cable and a power cable (for car) and also It comes with the very very good city select mapset.

I was a III+ owner that upgraded to a GPSMAP 76 and I am very happy with it. I will admit that the GPSMAP 76 is not quite as sensitive at my III+ was but this is a very slight difference. The extra features like 8MB memory, big screen and WAAS more than make up for it. I think alot of people complain about the 76 series GPS before they learn that the antenna must be kept upright. You should hold a GPS/GPSMAP 76 upright with the screen's face nearly vertical. If you hold it horizontal like you would an eTrex then you will have reception problem. It would be the same as taking your III+ or V and pointing the antenna at the horizon. Give it a try if you have one and you will see the lose of signal strength.

Later

mcb

Guest gstrong1

I'm sure the V is great for auto-routing while on the fly, but I usually plan ahead where I'm going. I'll just plan an auto-route on my DeLorme Streets software, add in any stops I want to make, throw in any points of interest along the way & load it into my MAP76. The unit will beep a bit before every necessary turn & give me the direction to head. My main use for the GPS is caching & hiking, so I don't have a real need for auto-routing. But when I do, this set-up works great. icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

Guest gstrong1

I'm sure the V is great for auto-routing while on the fly, but I usually plan ahead where I'm going. I'll just plan an auto-route on my DeLorme Streets software, add in any stops I want to make, throw in any points of interest along the way & load it into my MAP76. The unit will beep a bit before every necessary turn & give me the direction to head. My main use for the GPS is caching & hiking, so I don't have a real need for auto-routing. But when I do, this set-up works great. icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY