eTrex Legend - Enough GPS? Limitations?

The Legend will work fine for Geocaching. The screen is kind of small so a larger unit would be nicer. The base map is very nice and has lots more than I expected. There are a lot bigger mistakes you could buy in buying a unit. Now if you needed more memory or other functions then you would of course be upset with the Legend. The Legend will work great for Geocaching and hunting and fishing (which is what I will mainly use it for). I of course would have liked a larger unit and more functions, but it was tough for me to shell out the $200 for the Legend.

And I don't own a Legend, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

My eTrex Vista has started falling apart around the rubber band, it is comming unglued. Also the eTrex Vista would loose signal easily under tall trees here in michigan, and also if it was allowed to dangle around the neck for a second. I gave this one to my sister, after buying a Meridian Platinum. It's working good for her though.

My GPS V has worked great, and I bought a 2nd one now. Only problem is that the 4 batteries can break contact for a split second, causing shut-downs. I put a layer of tape around my NiMH rechargeable batteries, so they would be more tight in the gps. I have the GPS III, and IIIplus also. The GPS V is a little bulky and ive dropped it twice now, while caching. Garmin replaced the antenna.

I did not like the feel of the Map76 in my hand, it was kinda wide and flat. Also the display was hard to read, even though I tried adjusting the contrast, and I took it back the next morning.

I may consider getting the eTrex Legend, mainly because it has 10,000 Tracklog point capacity now with the latest firmware. The problem is how to stick it near, or on my shoulder, to get it out of my hands, and get a good signal. Alot of why I like GPS units, is to record a tracklog of my travels.

Always different...Hit refresh

maze?90+35+4+1+0+0+0+0+255+255+255

I have a pair of legends. I purchased the second one just recently. Here's a quick rundown from a Legend Owner.

icon_biggrin.gif Pros:

* Small, Lightweight

* You can usually use cell phone accessories with it (carrying case, etc).

* High res screen (compare number of pixels when comparing screen size) I was not able to find a similar based unit with an equal size and resloution.

* Waterproof to IPX7

* WAAS Support, bluchart compatable.

* Good battery life. (Whole day of operation on 2 AA)

icon_eek.gif Cons:

* Have history of rubber band problems (there is a fix for this in the threads here).

* I find the interface to be in some need of work. Searching waypoints is Great but cumbersome sometimes. Not sure it's a Con, it's just my preference.

* I have also noticed satalite loss when hanging around my neck. It's more of a nusiance than a problem though. Lock is reestablished in a few seconds and I'm never in that much of a hurry.

I like the unit overall. For the features and money I really couldnt find something better. It's a great GPS for geocaching and day to day use. I plan on using it this summer for golf (how far are we from the pin? icon_smile.gif ) and hope to see some great performance from it.

On another note with the mapsource software and some rather innovative 3rd party software you can create your own maps and download them into the GPS.

- Rob

--

SpongeRob

rwmech@keenpeople.com

www.keenpeople.com

WPWU826

Cache'n Retrievers

crlogo.gif

Well get the ok today then run out to Sports Authority and pick one up while they are on sale for $219.00. Also find the adds from last weekends newspaper. They have a 30% coupon (expires on 3-15-03). I did this last night and with the mail in rebate the final cost is $96.00 with tax.

I've only had the unit for one evening but I've used a co-workers to find our first hunt and a few other things and think it's a great unit. The mapping is a must have for me so that was also a factor in it's purchase.

Shayl.gif

Come visit us on the web!!

The JJ&C Railroad

quote:
Originally posted by GOT GPS?:

"...My _eTrex Vista_ has started falling apart around the rubber band, it is comming unglued...[sNIP SNIP]...The problem is how to stick it near, or on my shoulder, to get it out of my hands, and get a good signal. Alot of why I like GPS units, is to record a tracklog of my travels..."

...it sounds as though you change GPSr's like most of us change socks!

icon_wink.gif

ontario1.gif