Topo map software for the PC

I am interested in getting a mapping program that incudes raster images of USGS 7.5 min quads. I was wondering if anyone could make recomendations, and give me their opinions on my selections below. I want maps for Utah.

I have used Topo USA, and am thinking of getting Delorme's 3-D TopoQuads. I like having the vector maps, for general overviews, but the interface needs a lot of work (I have only used TopoUSA 2.0). I am also concerned that I might lose information from the map collars, because the quads are seemless. Is this the case?

I am also looking at AllTopo ( www.igage.com ) I have used their product for other states. It is raster maps only, but includes 1:100k and 1:250K topo maps as well. Their maps include the map collar, and are not seemless. They do include a tool to create a seemless map from several quads. It would be nice if I could have automatic seemless maps, and have the maps with the collars. Their program works very well. Does anyone else know how Alltopo compares to other simillar products?

I am also interested in National Geographic TOPO! Utah. I have not used this program, but have heard good things about it. I have heard that it has seemless raster image quads. Does it include larger scale quads (100K or 250k)? what about any vector map data? how well does it work with GPS's, waypoints etc? can I export a map as image file? Any other comments?

Thanks for the help

jjb

quote:
Originally posted by tylosaurus:...I am also interested in National Geographic TOPO! Utah. I have not used this program, but have heard good things about it. I have heard that it has seemless raster image quads. Does it include larger scale quads (100K or 250k)? what about any vector map data? how well does it work with GPS's, waypoints etc? can I export a map as image file? Any other comments?

Thanks for the help

jjb

Yes, you can save maps in bitmap, TIf,JIf, jpeg (in three different compressions -fair good best or you can copy and then open in any image program and adjust and save from there.

NG Topo comes in 100K, 250K and larger as well as 24K quads. Don't know the answer about vector. Works great with waypoints routes and tracks. Here’s a sample of one a have on my own cache page. The track was downloaded from the GPS and the verbiage added on NG Topo and then downloaded to the my cache page. http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/31503_200.jpg Of course the 24K maps can be done the same way -I think this one was 250K.

NG Topo has “Map-x-change” where people download their tracks saved from their hikes. You can then upload and store in your GPS at no charge. Great feature. Check their web page to see what parks and hiking trails are available in Utah.

Good luck.

Alan

I find ExpertGPS to be quite useful, especially for managing waypoints, routes, and geocaching. The way it provides topos and photos via the internet is especially slick, though it works best on my high speed connection at work.

The maps on ExpertGPS (apparently from Terraserver?) are good/acceptable quality for my own used, but not nearly has high a resolution as the National Geographic Topo! series.

I kind of wish we could somehow combine ExpertGPS's waypoint/map download capablities, Topo!'s map resolution, and some of OziExplorer's slick tools. A man can dream.