Innacuracy in eTrek?

Guest peejay

On the eTrex there's a function to convert to NAD27. Most older maps are in NAD27 and will cause an error like you're describing. If it's a good map it will say somewhere what datum it is using.

Jeremy

Hmm, the map I am using is issued by the New Zealand Lands and Survey Dept. It has the following info...

Geodetic Datum 1949 International Spheroid

New Zealand Map Grid Projection

Date of compilation June 1986

I am using WGS 84 map datum, is this corect?

Probably not. The WGS84 datum was created in 1984, While NAD27 was created in 1927. So it is possible that the Geodetic Datum 1949 is closer to NAD27. Never heard of that one though.

Jeremy

I just did a quick conversion from Geodetic Datum 1949 New Zealand to WGS 84:

Geo1949 - 40:00:00.0S 175:00:00.0E

WGS84 - 39:59:53.7S 175:00:00.6E

I guess this doesn't really help much except to show that your datum and WGS84 are definitely different.

I don't think you can really compare it to the NAD27 datum either becuase that datum is not valid over the same coordinates as teh Geodetic Datum 1949 NZ.

Guest OregonSurveyor

Hey Peejay,

Some rough calculations show that the difference in the two datums would have created an error of about 640 feet. I would suspect that the shift in datum had you plotting onto your map too far north by 638 feet and too far west by 47 feet. Hopefully you can find a datum in the etrex that closely matches your NZ datum. Some GPS units allow a "user defined" datum, with some research this may be a possiblity for you also.

------------------

Lat. N 45d-30.6875'

Long. W 122d-37.2055'

Elev.=172.97'

king6kids@hotmail.com