Using GPS with PDA? post here

Guest topografix

Guest topografix

1) What PDA (Palm, Handspring, Compaq, etc) are you using? Model #?

2) What GPS do you attach?

3) How are you connecting the two? (cable, PC card, CF slot, etc)

4) What software do you use?

5) Does it work? Recommendations?

I was using this set up for a while:

A Garmin II+ GPS hooked to a Palm Pilot Personal that has been upgraded to a 2MB Palm III. I used the Place Trace software from http://www.optimalvector.com/ The software was nice It let you pick just the roads you wanted to load into you palm. This was nice because of my 2MB limit of you Palm. As for the connection I started using a Garmin serial cable attach to a hotsync cable via a null modem adapter and female gender changer. I soon got rid of this very cumbersome hook-up and made a custom cable from and extra hotsync cable and a pfranc Garmin connector http://www.pfranc.com/ . Still in the end I sold the entire set up and bought a III+ with the maps. Since I have moved up to a GPSMAP 76. If you only need maps on rare occasions then the Palm -> GPS setup is OK but if you are going to use the GPS a lot get a stand alone unit.

Later

mcb

Compaq iPaq 36xx.

Magellan 315 hooked up by serial cable.

Use Teletype software. Great for streets and getting to the cache, finding back roads, parking, off road trails. But it's not that great for Geocaching. Would love to have a quick piece of software written that would be much like the Garmin eMap. The emap seems to have great street and geocaching features.

Wish list.

...Easy waypoint entry.

...Directional arrow to cache.

...Quick goto function.

...Next cross street function.

Guest Choberiba

Palm Vx Connected directly with a Magellan Companion.

It came with street maps for the entire USA and was less than a C-note.

It's too fragile for serious geocahing so I own a yellow eTrex and a Vista with the Mapsource topo CDs to suppliment.

ables w/ a null modem adapter and loged into the geocaching site and got the info needed to find a cache.

Also I have hooked up the 3+ to my laptop and used ms streets while driving.

I didn't hook up my palm to my 3+ so I can't post right? - but hey no ones looking right now - i'll sneek in what I did do w/ both.

I finished a job and was in a location I didn't expect but didn't want to deal w/ rush hr traffic so I hooked my palm (palm vx + endoria web) to my cell phone (audiovox 135) via cables w/ a null modem adapter and loged into the geocaching site and got the info needed to find a cache.

Also I have hooked up the 3+ to my laptop and used ms streets while driving.

Guest Peter Scholtz

quote:
Originally posted by k2dave:

so I hooked my palm (palm vx + endoria web) to my cell phone (audiovox 135) via cables w/ a null modem adapter and loged into the geocaching site and got the info needed to find a cache.

How about using IR rather than a cable? I do that with my Palm IIIx and Nokia 7110. No cables required!

------------------

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za

quote:
Originally posted by AZMark:

Compaq iPaq 36xx.

Use Teletype software. Great for streets and getting to the cache, finding back roads, parking, off road trails. But it's not that great for Geocaching. Would love to have a quick piece of software written that would be much like the Garmin eMap. The emap seems to have great street and geocaching features.

Wish list.

...Easy waypoint entry.

...Quick goto function.

With the Teletype software, do you get voice directions, moving maps, etc.? Their web site is a bit lacking in information (or I missed it!)

Guest Choberiba

Oh, and I always carry the Palm with me with the nearest 100 caches to my zip code synced with Avantgo.

It's the Companion GPS component that seems overly fragile. ACATNK

able phone. The other reason is that I was reading a review that though the ir is nice it is somewhat difficult to use as the 2 devices must be w/i a certain range of eachother. I typically check email while on the train and would think it difficult to hold the phone up to the palm ir and keep it there.

Also

I had ATT and a nokia - always had problems I think the phone was defective. Others w/ att would be able to make calls in areas where I couldn't.

I'm not sure if it was att or nokia - I wrote a letter of complaint to both. Nokia basically said it could be the service in a standard form letter. ATT actually had a rep call me but couldn't do anything for me. So I did the next best thing - I dropped their service and will never use att or nokia again.

quote:
How about using IR rather than a cable? I do that with my Palm IIIx and Nokia 7110. No cables required!

the main reason is that I wanted Verizon service - best in my area. Verizon does not offer (or didn't when I got my cell phone) a IR compatable phone. The other reason is that I was reading a review that though the ir is nice it is somewhat difficult to use as the 2 devices must be w/i a certain range of eachother. I typically check email while on the train and would think it difficult to hold the phone up to the palm ir and keep it there.

Also

I had ATT and a nokia - always had problems I think the phone was defective. Others w/ att would be able to make calls in areas where I couldn't.

I'm not sure if it was att or nokia - I wrote a letter of complaint to both. Nokia basically said it could be the service in a standard form letter. ATT actually had a rep call me but couldn't do anything for me. So I did the next best thing - I dropped their service and will never use att or nokia again.

Guest supertech

If you haven't tried it, Avoid the headache!!! I have a PALM IIIxe and I bought first the streetfinderGPS and then another [what was the name???] anyway, the first one was a snap on unit. I loaded their software and tried it, Also tried to use it with mapopolis. NO GO - had to reset my palm each time I tried to access the GPS... After several resets, re installs and I went so far as to do a hard reset on the palm [clear all data and programs exept the default [re install the OS] and still no use.

The other one worked with a palm or laptop, I actually got it to work with my laptop, but who wants to carry that through the woods or whatever????

I took those back and got an eMap and it has worked flawlessly every since. :EEK:

------------------

Ken {On the bleeding edge of technology}

Guest blscearce

This doesn't exactly answer the original question, but while I have a standalone GPS unit (eMap, with MetroGuide data), I do carry my Handspring Visor with me. The Visor has cache information on it from AvantGo.

The web pages as they exist on www.geocaching.com look great on a full browser, but they aren't a very good mesh with a handheld, so I've put simplified versions of local caches on my own website, and I sync my Visor to those instead.

It's not ready for primetime, but you can get a peek at what I'm working on at: http://www.pathetique.com/geocaching

Brian

Hi!

I'm using the Color Handspring (PalmOS) with a Magellan GPS Companion. My wife and I are just getting started, but we have been visiting the GeoCaching website for months.

The software that comes with the Magellan is rather slim on quality. Its in black and white, offers no surface features and many streets are missing. Can anyone suggest a better color PalmOS software?

Thanks!!

------------------

ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°``°º¤

ext237@houston.rr.com

ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°``°º¤

Guest topografix

quote:
Originally posted by joshgray:

havnt done it yet but planning on getting the cable to connect my Ipaq to Garmin eTrex (basic). Unsure which software i want to use as of yet. *HINT HINT to topografix people* icon_wink.gif

TopoGrafix people are anxiously awaiting the arrival of UPS people bearing iPaq 3635 and eTrex serial cable.

TopoGrafix people are still interested in detailed descriptions of what you'd like to see in a Pocket PC program for outdoor navigation and geocaching. Post here or e-mail to pocketpc@topografix.com

Guest topografix

quote:
Originally posted by joshgray:

havnt done it yet but planning on getting the cable to connect my Ipaq to Garmin eTrex (basic). Unsure which software i want to use as of yet. *HINT HINT to topografix people* icon_wink.gif

TopoGrafix people are anxiously awaiting the arrival of UPS people bearing iPaq 3635 and eTrex serial cable.

TopoGrafix people are still interested in detailed descriptions of what you'd like to see in a Pocket PC program for outdoor navigation and geocaching. Post here or e-mail to pocketpc@topografix.com

I have a Garmin 3+. I purchased a cable to connect it directly to my Visor Prism mainly because I wanted a color display. The street level resolution is much better on the GPS & unfortunately the tugging on the cable broke the connector off inside the visor. (fixed under warranty). I really don't see the point of connecting a GPS which has maps to a palm. I use my visor seperately just to keep track of waypoints for caches until I want to find one then I type the co-ords into the GPS. Plus the software takes up alot of memory in the palm. IMF16@aol.com

Guest motoshane

I'm using an Etrex Basic with the Palm M505. It works great with many different programs, but I'm still looking for the right mapping program. I would like to be able to mark way points and create routes. Currently I've been using mapopolis because it's free with the basic maps. If anyone has any suggestions on mapping software, please post your suggestions. I'd appreciate it.

For wiring between both units, I use a Palm M500 series cradle (hotsync cable was on back order), but the cradle works great in both my vehicles. Then I bought power supplies for both my Etrex and Palm (I used a PalmIIIC charger/power supply, same voltage, and a Garmin Etrex 12v/data cable). I mounted both power supplies in a small radio shack project box, and mounted and wired 2 DB-9 connectors on each side of the box, with a TX and RCV roll in the box, to avoid using a null modem adapter. Everything is powered off of a single cigeratte lighter adapter for vehicle use, and I have the ability to pull both data cables from the box, and with a null modem adapter, by pass the power supplies/box for walking use.

I'm fairly new to GPS'ing and Geocaching, but have enjoyed it.

------------------

Guest motoshane

lighter adapter for vehicle use, and I have the ability to pull both data cables from the box, and with a null modem adapter, by pass the power supplies/box for walking use.

I'm fairly new to GPS'ing and Geocaching, but have enjoyed it.

------------------

Guest breaktrack

quote:
Originally posted by Choberiba:

Oh, and I always carry the Palm with me with the nearest 100 caches to my zip code synced with Avantgo.

It's the Companion GPS component that seems overly fragile. ACATNK

Okay, I'm totally intrigued with syncing with Avantgo to do this. On the other hand, I have no idea how you are doing it. Please share this wondrous technique with me? Please, please, please....

------------------

Single dad looking for, dang, what the heck was I looking for again??? Where's my GPS?

Yes, I use Palm. I like to use the Visor with the new Fugawi Palm program. Very nice, since I used it in Norway as well as in New Hampshire.

Has anyone else used this for their caches?

I just find that the visor with the fugawi maps is difficult to view at times, given direct sunlight.

Ciao,

Diana

Hi,

I use fugawi, I find it exceptional for geocaching because I can also attach pictures of the cache areas.

I prefer TopoUSA for other things, but fugawi is good for this...for me anyway...expecially

quote:
Originally posted by AZMark:

Compaq iPaq 36xx.

Wish list.

...Easy waypoint entry.

...Quick goto function.

Really?

You should try fugawi software. It is quite a bit better for geocaching, especially with their new Palm version. I like because I can attached pics of my spots and old caches.

I've used it from Norway to New Hampshire. Well back to it..

Diana

quote:
Originally posted by Choberiba:

Palm Vx Connected directly with a Magellan Companion.

It came with street maps for the entire USA and was less than a C-note.

It's too fragile for serious geocahing so I own a yellow eTrex and a Vista with the Mapsource topo CDs to suppliment.

Really?

You should try fugawi software. It is quite a bit better for geocaching, especially with their new Palm version. I like because I can attached pics of my spots and old caches.

I've used it from Norway to New Hampshire. Well back to it..

Diana

quote:
Originally posted by ext237:

Hi!

I'm using the Color Handspring (PalmOS) with a Magellan GPS Companion. My wife and I are just getting started, but we have been visiting the GeoCaching website for months.

The software that comes with the Magellan is rather slim on quality. Its in black and white, offers no surface features and many streets are missing. Can anyone suggest a better color PalmOS software?

Thanks!!

Guest Choberiba

quote:
Originally posted by DianaM:

Hi, I use fugawi,

Hi, I use fugawi,

Hi, I use fugawi,

Hi, I use fugawi,

I don't know you from Adam, (Eve?) but you've managed to sound my "Spammer" alarms.

You should identify yourself as a company rep, or if you're not affiliated, try not to sound like a marketing droid.

Choberiba

Will cache for food.

Guest blscearce

quote:
Originally posted by breaktrack:

Okay, I'm totally intrigued with syncing with Avantgo to do this. On the other hand, I have no idea how you are doing it. Please share this wondrous technique with me? Please, please, please....

You install the AvantGo software onto your Palm device, and then you set one of your channels to be:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest_cache.asp?zip=77357&submit1=Submit

That fetches the first page (25 caches) of your zip code. If you want more pages, set up other channels for the same URL, only with "&start=25" or "&start=50" appended.

The pages you get have all the information you want, plus some that you don't care about. I've been trying to make condensed web pages that fit onto a Palm better, see the URL I posted earlier in this thread. I've added your ZIP code, so give it a try if you like.

Brian

Guest breaktrack

blscearce my friend, you are a genius... well, you're pretty smart anyway.. LOL. Thanks a great deal for the zip setup. Now, if you could just do one for the state of Texas, that would be the bomb.

Thanks again, it is really great.

------------------

Single dad looking for, dang, what the heck was I looking for again??? Where's my GPS?

Guest blscearce

quote:
Originally posted by breaktrack:

Now, if you could just do one for the state of Texas, that would be the bomb.

The whole state of Texas has 312 caches in it right now. I've made a Texas index, but I think you'll find it a little awkward to handle with AvantGo -- you'll need to set aside a significant part of a megabyte for this index, and AvantGo is pretty slow to display large tables. I'm trying to keep the individual indexes to around 100 entries.

Plucker is faster at painting pages, and does a better job of compression of text, but it doesn't do horizontal layout of tables, so the detailed index pages look bad.

Brian

[This message has been edited by blscearce (edited 02 November 2001).]

Guest dan_edwards_1966

Well I have a Handspring Visor with Magellan GPS. Like "ext237" I found the included software kind of "lite? I have tried several other programs, and I have not found the one that I find perfect yet. The closest I have found is Solus® Pro 3.0 from Delorme. I have Topo USA 3.0 and it is pretty cool to download a Topo map of the area I will be in, and turn-by-turn directs to the area. I plan to pick up the full version this weekend, which will turn on the GPS functions (The free version included with TopoUSA does not have GPS turned on, but you can see what the screens look like). You can also record your trip and then overlay on the Topo software. You can also then make it into a trail for future reference, if the Topo software did not have that trail in the database.

http://www.delorme.com/roadwarrior/solus3.asp

If anyone else has used this I would love to know.

Guest dan_edwards_1966

I went to try the fugawi software and it looks great, but my Visor Deluxe only supports Palm OS 3.1. Wish I could upgrade, but it is in ROM. I do wish Handspring would use Flash memory. Even so the only feature I want in 3.5 is the ability to have more then one serial port open at a time (my wireless modem and my keyboard). Other then that I can see no reason to upgrade to 3.5.

Dan

Guest LuvGuppy

Hi all,

I followed the directions of blscearce posted above to install Avantgo and the Geocaching web page. However, I am only getting the page that shows the 25 closest cache sites. When I try to link to the information for each page I get nothing. What do I need to set on my channel options to get this?

Thanks,

Guppy

Guest blscearce

quote:
Originally posted by LuvGuppy:

However, I am only getting the page that shows the 25 closest cache sites. When I try to link to the information for each page I get nothing.

Make your channel size at least 200K or so, and make your "link depth" at least 2. I would suggest that you have "images" set to "false" (or, if you have it set to "true", make the channel size larger to compensate), and leave "follow offsite links" set to "false". And then make sure that your Refresh option is set to something so that your current damaged version will actually be replaced.

[This message has been edited by blscearce (edited 10 November 2001).]

Guest LuvGuppy

Thanks blscearce,

I now have the 25 closest cache sites. I see what you mean about the geocache site looking less than perfect on the AvantGo screen. Is Plucker and better than AvantGo? Also, dan_edwards_1966 posted about the decoder software. I added this to my PalmIIIx, but I don?t seem to be able to select the hint section off of the AvantGo page to past it into this program. Any thoughts?

Thanks again,

Guppy

Guest dan_edwards_1966

The only way to get stuff from AvantGo is to go to the edit menu and select "Copy" AvantGo will then ask you if you want to copy the page to a memo, say yes and then you can cut and paste small sections.

I have found someone working on even a better solution. He takes the Geocaching web pages and strips off the unwanted info leaves just small pages to sync to that look very clean on a PDA web browser. He also decrypts the hints and puts them on a seperate page. If you ask nice he might add your zip/area to his list of pages he filters.

http://www.pathetique.com/geocaching/

quote:

Thanks blscearce,

Also, dan_edwards_1966 posted about the decoder software. I added this to my PalmIIIx, but I don?t seem to be able to select the hint section off of the AvantGo page to past it into this program. Any thoughts?

Guest dan_edwards_1966

BR>

quote:

Thanks blscearce,

Also, dan_edwards_1966 posted about the decoder software. I added this to my PalmIIIx, but I don?t seem to be able to select the hint section off of the AvantGo page to past it into this program. Any thoughts?

I've been using my Handspring Visor Deluxe with my Geode GPS unit for about 9 months now.

The Geode GPS unit is a springboard plugin for the Handspring Visor. I use version 1.3 of the Geode GPS firmware and version 1.3 of the GeoView software, used for viewing maps (also provided by the makers of the GPS unit).

Does it work? Of course. I've found 59 Geocaches with it. Everything from downtown Portland to Mt. St. Helens and everything in between. Like all GPS units, it has its good days and bad days. The majority of my experiences have been good, though it does have its quirks - no doubt about that.

Recommendations? Don't buy this particular GPS unit. I believe the Geode is the most accurate GPS available for the Handspring Visor. Unfortunately, the company is in somewhat of a coma right now, either riding out the bad economy or just plumb keepin' quiet.

I don't believe there's a better unit available for a PDA right now, in terms of hardware. In terms of support, software updates, etc ...look elsewhere.

That all said, I like the software once I got used to its quirks and I need very little support. The hardware is very good. I personally hope the company that produces the Geode, GeoDiscovery, gets back on their feet - I'm looking forward to software updates.

quote:
Originally posted by dan_edwards_1966:

Well I have a Handspring Visor with Magellan GPS.

Where are you able to get a cable for this combination? I have a Handspring Visor and am getting a Magellan Meridian GPS.

Thanks!

Laurie

Guest LuvGuppy

Hello again dan_edwards_1966,

I went to the edit menu and selected ?Copy? but nothing happened. I also tried to use the ?Cut? & ?Paste? options but nothing seems to happen. Do I need to have a preference marked to get this option? I poked around the AvantGo site but could find nothing on this issue. I guess the best option would be to ask blscearce to add me to his list, but it bothers me that AvantGo isn?t working correctly on my Palm.

Once again, anybody have any ideas?

Guppy

Guest dan_edwards_1966

It is a recent feature of the AvantGo software, so make sure your PDA software is not more then a couple of months old. Just download and reinstall the AvantGo software, it will keep all your pages and info.

Dan