Need Help!

We are going this afternoon to buy a unit at Dicks Sporting Goods. Using them because of discount we are getting. We are looking at the Garmin Gecko 201 and the Magellan Sportrak (not the pro). The Gecko is $139.99 and the Magellan is $159.99 plus a $50 mail in rebate. Asides from the cost, which unit is the better one?

Thanks!

Brian Wood

Woodsters Outdoors

http://www.woodsters.com

You could go with a Garmin Legend. There is a 50 dollar rebate going on right now. Can get them for $140 after rebate on amazon.com. Not much bigger than the geko and has more features.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

I assume you are not referring to the Sportrak MAP as well.

The Sportrak has a quadrafilar helix antenna whch (I am told) is better in dense cover of the woods. You have to hold it vertical to get the best fix. It is larger than the gecko.

The gecko has a patch antenna, which (outside of the woods) gets a better fix of satellites that are more overhead than towards the horizon. the gecko should be held flat to get the best fix. The geck is MUCH smaller.

Given that the units have similar capabilities, if you aren't going to spend a LOT of time in dense woods, the smaller gecko might be better. You may want to get one on the black neoprene see through cases to protect it and to mute the garish colors when urban caching. (See thegpsstore.com)

(I use a magellan meridian, and have some to envy the smaller, more discrete, garmins.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

Bilder, we aren't buying online. We want to actually get teh feel for them in person. We als ojust had a horrible experience with ordering something on the internet ($400+ Canoe Trailer), that took a few weeks longer to get than the promised date.

So other than the size and the antenna thing, they are comparable? Yes we were not talking about the Sportrak MAP.

Brian Wood

Woodsters Outdoors

Ok, looking at the websites (Magellan and Garmin), here's a synopsis I've come up with. The Garmin is smaller, which doesn't make any difference to us now. The Garmin has 10,000 track points and the Magellan has only 2000. Both are WAAS capable, but the Garmin does not say anything about the 12 channel and the quadifiler helix antenna. The Magellan does. The Garmin has games, which I don't care about. The Magellan has the lunar phases, which are cool. I believe both can be hooked up to the PC.

Dang...decisions...decisions....that's why i'm asking you vets...which would I be happier with?

Brian Wood

Woodsters Outdoors

I don't know about the gekos but i do know the sportrak has north finder, if you know how to use it it can be very handy. It has a sun an dmoon icon that moves around the compass screen. If you align either the sun or moon with the icon looking through the center of the compass screen your cardinal points are actually aligned.

Eeyore

I'm one sat short of triangulation.

If you're interested in recording your travels more track points is better. A day of hiking will use 1000 to 2000 points.

I'd say go with the Garmin. In general there is a larger user base which translates to more options for after market accessories, programs ect.

One thing about the Geko is that it uses AAA batteries which are more expensive than AAs.

PDOP's GPS Pages

That was another thing I was wondering about is the fact of accessories and more versatility.

We wil lbe using the GPS mainly for caching. So I think that even though the Gecko will cost me about $30 more in the long run, it may be a better choice. One thing that bothered and still bothers me is the fact that the Magellan has the rebate on it. This triggers thoughts that they are having trouble selling them or perhpas this model is getting ready to stop being produced or something.

Brian Wood

Woodsters Outdoors