Commercial TOPO! software

Guest bubba232

Guest bubba232

Hi everyone,

I was at REI yesterday and was looking at the "TOPO!" software they offer. Is anyone familiar with this? How does it compare with other brands?

I like the idea of having all necessary topo's together without having to d/l each one and use a shareware program. I'm looking for something quick and easy.

I appreciate the input.

Steve

Guest bob_renner

I have the AZ state series of Topo! s/w. I use it for maintaining all my gps waypoints and routes. It has all the 7.5 minute topo maps scanned and integrated together. I highly recommend it.

AFAIK there are two companies with topo software - this one (Wildflower/National Geographic) and DeLorme. DeLorme has a similar product with similar resolution, on a state by state basis. I think it's called Topo 3D. They also have another version of the entire USA, but the resolution of that is lower from what I've heard.

Keep in mind that the topo maps in these 2 packages are not downloadable to gps receivers. There are separate packages from Garmin (and possibly Magellan) for downloading topo maps to some of their receivers which are map compatible. I'm not familiar with those packages.

Topo! web site http://www.topo.com

REI sells it as does http://www.4x4books.com

Bob

Guest Ron Streeter

I have one of the TOPO! sets for SFBay, Napa and BigSur (2 disks total). It was $50.

There are about 8 sections of the state available at that rate, or the whole state for $200.

I just saw on the discussion list the following web site which apparently has the entire state at $150.

www.4x4books.com

I really like the series...haven't seen Delorme, but have read some dissatifaction with it.

Guest fryed

he track info from the GPS back to my PC and see where on the map I actually travelled. My only complaint, and this is a minor one, is that it would be nice to be able to copy all the info from the several CD-ROMS to the hard drive to make it easier and quicker to move from region to region. I guess I could've bought a DVD-ROM and got the software on DVD... Anyway, I am very happy with DeLorme's product.

Guest garywil

I have tried DeLorme, Topo! and Terrain Navigator. Topo! is the best with wonderful software. Terrain Navigator is quite good also and has a 2001 version out which I have on order that looks good. I sent DeLorme back after trying it and comparing to above. The trouble is these make finding a cache even easier!

------------------

Guest bubba232

Thank for the input all.

When I get my taxes back and payoff my PG&E bill, IF I have anything left, I'll check out the Topo! product.

Although the topo software "might be used for geocaching" icon_wink.gif I would also use it a bunch for scouting hunting locations and hiking trails.

Thanks again,

Steve

ps. One of these days I hope to see you on the trail(s)-- Ron Streeter. icon_smile.gif

Guest bubba232

Thank for the input all.

When I get my taxes back and payoff my PG&E bill, IF I have anything left, I'll check out the Topo! product.

Although the topo software "might be used for geocaching" icon_wink.gif I would also use it a bunch for scouting hunting locations and hiking trails.

Thanks again,

Steve

ps. One of these days I hope to see you on the trail(s)-- Ron Streeter. icon_smile.gif