Garmin Cigarette Adapter

thcri

When I purchased my Garmin E-Trex Vista I purchased the cigarette adapeter also. I have used the adapter probably a total of ten times and this week-end it quit. I have checked the fuse, tried it in other power sources and it just doesn't work. I took my multi-meter and there is voltage going into it but none leave the little circuit board.

My question is, is there a less expensise place out there to buy one? My personal opinion of the Garmin one is that it is built cheap. I have looked at some cell phone chargers that I thought I could change ends but none are the same voltage.

So what ever help in finding a Generic would be appreciated. I don't mind paying Garmins $40.00 price if it was built a bit better.

Thanks

murph

I thought I should mention this just in case. I had the exact same problem with my new cig adapter for my GPSV. Tried everything -- no juice.

I was about to toss it when a buddy of mine decided to take a look. A flick of his finger nail and BINGO -- it worked.

The problem? The list spring-loaded tip on the end of the mail connector had been pushed into far and had stuck. By moving it slightly to the side so it cleared the hole it extended again.

If it doesn't extend it can't make contact. So it might pay to check. It's the sort of thing you won't even notice unless it's pointed out to you.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

On the other side.... if you decide to trash it, I would like to have it. No, I have one already. But if I take it apart, and I can see how it is made, perhape this won't be a problem for the next one. After all, parts is parts... and it must be a regulator of some type.

Mike.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Desert_Warrior:

If you nose around your local Radio Shack you may find some cell phone cigarette adapters they are letting go for $1 or so. They contain a small switching power supply and a little resistor swap will make it work on most any voltage you want. I was planning do doing that to build my own adapter until I found I could buy an assembled unit for the price of the plug I needed.....

Based on seeing the quality of the Garmin I really don't think I want another one of them. I had lots of trouble with it and ended up taking it apart and fixing many times. To me it just seemed cheap. Yes, GPSDiscount has one for $24.95 and that is the cheapest I have seen.

I have a cell phone adapter that has 3.5volts to it and looks much more durable. I wonder if the 1/2 volt higher would be too much for the Vista to handle. When dealing with that low of voltage I believe that can make a difference.

murph

Hi Murph.

I am with Gilsson Technologies. We are the largest manufacturer of Garmin compatible GPS acessories. We offer the eTrex Cigarette Lighter Adapter for $10.98, eTrex PC/12v Power Combo Cable for $13.20 and eTrex PC Cable for $7.45. It is guaranteed to work perfectly with your eTrex GPS. These prices are significantly below Garmin OEM prices.

Your can see pictures of our cables at http://store.yahoo.com/gilsson/cables.html

Please email us at sales@gilsson.com or toll-free at 877-GPS-GEEK if we can be of service. Thanks !

Happy Navigating !

Ming