compass?

Guest davechu

Guest davechu

i have a question: does the eTrex have a built in compass? it's so hard to compare all the spec sheets! i want one of the low end models (eTrex, magellan 315, garmin 12) but i really can't decide! do any of these have a standard compass, and which would you recommend overall?

Guest robanna

It doesn't have an electronic compass. It will only tell you what way you are heading. You have to be moving for the gps to give you new info, so if you stop and turn around then it still tells you that you are heading the other direction.

Hope that helps and not make you more confused.

Guest jeremy

eTrex does not have an electronic compass. It does have what looks like a compass, but is actually just a direction finder based on your movement (and the GPS signal).

If you want to save money, I would suggest just buying one of the lower end models (or maybe one with maps) and getting a regular old alcohol filled compass to take along with you. You should have one with you anyway in case the batteries go dead in the woods.

If you have some money to spend, the eTrex Summit has an altimeter and electronic compass, or the new eTrex Vista that has maps in addition to what the eTrex Summit offers.

I personally use the regular old eTrex, and a compass to point me in the right direction when I get close to a cache. It hasn't failed me yet!

Jeremy