GPS connected to Digital Camera

quote:
Originally posted by wiredcur:

I know for certain that the DC290 works since that's the camera 'Dad and the Dynamic Duo' uses. I think he's messing with the script to get the watermark he's looking for.

Update: Let me preface my post by stating that I am an accountant and have not done any programming to speak of since my Fortran class in college 20 years ago.

I took some time over the weekend to play with the scripting starting with a modified script sent to me by wiredcur. My first field test was yesterday and I took this picture:

2093_700.jpg

I only wish that I had chosen either to use a solid background or a different color text. As it was getting dark, the black text is hard to read on top of the dark picture. The picture below shows the watermark a bit more clearly:

2093_900.jpg

If anyone is interested, I can send you a copy of the script. Please note that it uses a SubString function that works with Digita version 1.5 and above. For the Kodak line, that means it will only work with the DC290.

George

I was walking down the street in downtown Fort Collins and noticed a guy with a interesting contraption in his hand. It was hand grip leading to a "T". On the left side at the end of the "T" was a Garmin (Vista?) with magnetic compass, in the middle in line with the handle was a digital camera, and on the left side was a Pocket PC (iPaq I think). Anyway the GPS was tied to the PocketPC and it would take the memory card from the camera and modify the JPEG's using the GPS log to compare to the time stored with the JPEG the camera wrote. Not only would it record the location of the photo, but it would also record the direction he was facing as well. I asked if he had tried Geocaching and he had thought about trying it, and then I asked if he knew Rick from Geospacial experts (since he is from Fort Collins) and he said that his script was a modified version of the script available there. I really wish I had more time to chat with him, should have gotten his name because that was one cool setup.

Dan

A = A

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Edwards:

I was walking down the street in downtown Fort Collins and noticed a guy with a interesting contraption in his hand. It was hand grip leading to a "T". On the left side at the end of the "T" was a Garmin (Vista?) with magnetic compass, in the middle in line with the handle was a digital camera, and on the left side was a Pocket PC (iPaq I think). Anyway the GPS was tied to the PocketPC and it would take the memory card from the camera and modify the JPEG's using the GPS log to compare to the time stored with the JPEG the camera wrote. Not only would it record the location of the photo, but it would also record the direction he was facing as well. I asked if he had tried Geocaching and he had thought about trying it, and then I asked if he knew Rick from Geospacial experts (since he is from Fort Collins) and he said that his script was a modified version of the script available there. I really wish I had more time to chat with him, should have gotten his name because that was one cool setup.

Dan,

That does sound cool!

Based solely on my limited research on this subject, I suspect that what his set up allows him to do is to receive the NMEA data instead of the ASCII text I am receiving in my set up. That is why the Geospacial set up has a device between the GPSr and the camera. I suspect that is what the pocket PC is doing in this fellow

s set up. That is also why I can not use the scripts written for the Geospacial set up.

George