320 Download Help Please

I have a 320 that I, for the life of me, can not get to talk to the PC. I have tried both the Magellan upgrade and using the Datasend software with no luck. Here are things I have checked:

Verified comm port set to 4800.

Verified cable is good through testing with an ohm meter.

Verified that Baud rate on 320 is set to 4800.

Comm ports are good because I can use it to control my Ham Radio's.

Verified that no other programs are accessing the comm ports.

Made sure NMEA is "Off".

I have tried several different comm port setting, different Baud, bits, etc.

I am borrowing this unit from a friend to see if I like it to buy it. I really want to upgrade to Version 3.15 from 3.05. If I can't then I wont buy it. I do like the unit though.

If anyone has any suggestions or if I have overlooked anything, I would appreciate any help!

Thanks for reading!

Bria

I actualy had that happen before, but I forgot to plug it in (I know you probaly did this so I am j/k). Try holding down nav-light button then turn it on. It should say software uplaod mode, then try to uplaod the software.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

quote:
Originally posted by phantom4099:

I actualy had that happen before, but I forgot to plug it in (I know you probaly did this so I am j/k). Try holding down nav-light button then turn it on. It should say software uplaod mode, then try to uplaod the software.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

Thanks for the help, but that didn't work. It did turn the light on though! icon_smile.gif

I called Magellan's tech support line, and was help by a great tech named Robert. We verified that cable and the GPS was good with some loopback tests. It looks like it might be a problem with the version on Win98 I am running. They are testing it and trying to get it to work for them

, and then going to call me back in a bit, so I will post the results here in case anyone else has a similer problem. I talked to him a few minutes ago, and they had already trashed one 320 trying to figure it out, and could not get a download to work on their end either! Hopefully, a resolution will be found! At least there Customer Service seems great.

Thanks again

quote:
Originally posted by phantom4099:

Wyatt W.

Thanks for the help, but that didn't work. It did turn the light on though! icon_smile.gif

I called Magellan's tech support line, and was help by a great tech named Robert. We verified that cable and the GPS was good with some loopback tests. It looks like it might be a problem with the version on Win98 I am running. They are testing it and trying to get it to work for them

, and then going to call me back in a bit, so I will post the results here in case anyone else has a similer problem. I talked to him a few minutes ago, and they had already trashed one 320 trying to figure it out, and could not get a download to work on their end either! Hopefully, a resolution will be found! At least there Customer Service seems great.

Thanks again

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Try new bats?

Alan

Hi Alan,

I tried a new Easton, and an old Louisville Slugger, and neither were able to persuade it to work. icon_biggrin.gif

Ohhhh, Batteries you mean? Yeah, I tried a new set, and even with full power, no luck. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I did get it updated today. I took it all to work and hooked it up to an NT Server, and it updated no problem at all, so I guess it is the Win98 version. I know my comm Ports are good as I can use them for other things. I am going to try it at a friends house that has the same version 98 that I run. If it doesn't work there either, then I know it is the OS for sure. If so, I hope that Magellan will make available some sort of patch for the problem. I have not heard back from the Tech yet, but when I do, I will post results.

Thanks,

Brian

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Try new bats?

Alan

Hi Alan,

I tried a new Easton, and an old Louisville Slugger, and neither were able to persuade it to work. icon_biggrin.gif

Ohhhh, Batteries you mean? Yeah, I tried a new set, and even with full power, no luck. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I did get it updated today. I took it all to work and hooked it up to an NT Server, and it updated no problem at all, so I guess it is the Win98 version. I know my comm Ports are good as I can use them for other things. I am going to try it at a friends house that has the same version 98 that I run. If it doesn't work there either, then I know it is the OS for sure. If so, I hope that Magellan will make available some sort of patch for the problem. I have not heard back from the Tech yet, but when I do, I will post results.

Thanks,

Brian

I've got two computers with both using Win98. If the stars don't align just right with a half moon, one of the computers won't work to upload to either of my GPSrs. Yes, it worked yesterday ... and, it will probably work tomorrow... but, it just won't work TODAY. So, I go to the other computer and do my uploads. So, it looks like you might be the proud owner of one of those devilish combinations also. Just consider it part of geocaching experience of problem solving.

And you thought that revenge of the nerds was just a movie. Bill Gates and his friends are still getting even for all sorts of pranks that were played on him as a kid.

Jeepster

- Road kill on the information highway ...