GPS functionality?!?!?

I'm using a Garmin eTrex (the yellow one). I just have a question on the functionaily of operating it under heavy cover. There has been more than one occation where the GPS would seem to stop functioning with no warning of a weak signal. I can walk in a big circle and the directional arrow will not change direction, the speed will not change, but the "distance from destination" number changes.

Does any of this sound normal? I was under the impression that it either worked or it didn't, not one part work (distance from destination), and one part not work (directional arrow) icon_confused.gif.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Chip

I have the same model and it does the same thing to me. Can be frustrating at times. Mine has the 2.11 firmware (the newest is the 2.14). The distance will count down (correctly) but the arrow doesn't update. I wish I could tell you a fix, maybe the new firmware fixes it. Alot of people will get close to the cache on the trail and use a compass to go the last few yards.

I have one (Vista) in the same series and I have seen that too, but I think Garmin programmed in a few assumptions.

What I think is happening is when the GPS looses signal lock, it keeps displaying (and using for calculations) the same heading and speed for another period of time (guessing 10 secs). So any changes to speed/course during that time aren't displayed.

This is likely for road uses where someone goes under an underpass or short tunnel.

I don't think it will make much difference because the upgrade looks to be pretty transparent, but I upgraded the software in my etrex from 2.10 to 2.14. It cant hurt to try.

I also emailed Garmin asking them the same question that I posted originally....still wating on a reply, they said it could take up to 7 business days due to the increased seasonal requests for support.

Chip