Non-Mapping

Cybo

After much deliberation in my head from replies on the board (thanks to all that replied btw), ive decided to go for a non-mapping gps unit instead of a mapping one. I don't travel much, and when I do go on long trips ill bring a laptop (so all I need is a gpsr with pc cable). Now Im stuck choosing a non-mapping unit. Here are the ones im looking at now:

Magellan SporTrak - $199CDN After Rebate

Garmin GPS72 - $208.95CDN

Garmin GPS76 - $254.95CDN

I decided to choose between these 3 because they use Dual-Helix antennas (id go insane with loosing signal, alot of dense tree cover where caches are around here). I plan to use the unit for geocaching, APRS, navigation with a laptop/PDA, and getting co-ordinates for various things.

Anyone have any experience/comments/suggestions about the units or what im looking for? Im just trying to get some input on this. Once again, thanks very much to those who have helped!

_CyBo_

you STILL don't have a GPS yet Cybo?! icon_biggrin.gif

get out there and get one! j/k man...

Out of that selection, I would choose the 76.

Are you sure though that you don't want to fork out a little extra money and go for a GPSMAP 76? I'm not sure how much they run for in Canada, but you might want to end up upgrading later on anyway. You should really think about that. Maps are SOOOO nice to have, and in many cases, don't cost too much more over a non-mapping gps.

But, if you are really set on those three, you'd still be making a wise decision with the 76. icon_cool.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------

Garmin Vista

Using Opera 7.1

Cybo

First off go Garmin - you won't regret it.

Secondly Garmin's maps of Canada suck anyway so nonmapping is the way to go.

Don't forget to factor in the PC interface cable when comparing the 76 with the 72 which doesn't come with one. GPSCentral's price for the 72 bundled with the Garmin interface cable is $251.95 or you can by a Wolf cable for $30.

I've been looking at both of these units too and I'm wondering how much differnce the higher resolution screen on the 76 makes. Also the 76 has a connector for an external antenna but I don't know that I'd ever use it.

PDOP's GPS Pages

They're talking about creating a track by outlining thing like lakes or rivers in a program on a PC then uploading the track to the GPSr. This would be good for simple maps but you'd be limited by the number of track points 2048 for both the 72 and 76.

Another consideration is that if you use the tracks to create the maps there won't be any available to record your path in the field. This may or may not be important to you. I like to record my travels, download the tracks and overlay on maps to see where I've been.

PDOP's GPS Pages

Bias to Garmin:

With the sportrak, you can't even control major functions of the GPS like you can with the Garmins. Things like a battery saver mode, ability to turn WAAS off when you dont want it, and user friendly menu screens. As you've probably heard on these boards, Magellan software isn't the best...

Plus the 76 is built a lot better than the Sportrak.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Garmin Vista

Using Opera 7.1

I have only owned Magellan in the past, but I have no brand loyality whatsoever. Looking the three you listed, they are pretty much the same. I would go with the Magellan just because I like the form factor and the price better. If you can find a deal on one of the Garmin's causing them to be cheaper I would go with them. Since you won't be using the mapping software one big plus is that you won't be tied into buy one companies mapping software making future GPS buying more open as well.

That said, after having a mapping GPS you would have to pry it from my cold dead hands to make me go back to the old way.

Dan

A = A

Cybo

Do not spend more than you can aford!

Find a good deal at a local merchant and be happy you have a GPS.

If you find a deal on a maping GPS in your spending limit then get it they are handy.

Otherwise stick with your non-maping plan.

I have determined that most people are happy with their first GPS. I think you will be also no matter what brand or model you get because you have selected 3 good GPSs.

Mojo

And one other thing. The debate between Quad helix vs patch antena in garbage. I have geocached with a quad helix antena and it get reception everywhere in all weather, cloud, tree cover, terrain conditions, this includes steap sided valleys, in heavy tree cover with dense clouds, driving in heavy rain, at temperatures in the 3-7 degree F range. I have also read that people who use patch antenas do also.

Mojo: K, ill keep those in mind.

Volks: The only problem with getting a 72 or a 76 is that they arent available at any stores (to my knowledge) in toronto, id have to order from GPScentral, and I really dont like ordering something remotely (I prefer going to a store). I still am trying to find a comparison of the GPS72/76 to the SporTrak icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by volks_ev71:

*pssssssst* Go for the GPS 72 atleast.. icon_biggrin.gif

You'll appreciate the better build quality, trust me.

What he said icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

The sporttrak doesn't come with a PC cable so even with the rebate a 72 with a Wolf cable is the same price. There are a lot more 3 rd party vendors of Garmin accessories around too. Check EBay.

PDOP's GPS Pages

quote:
Originally posted by Cybo:

Volks: The only problem with getting a 72 or a 76 is that they arent available at any stores (to my knowledge) in toronto, id have to order from GPScentral, and I really dont like ordering something remotely (I prefer going to a store).

Ordering from GPSCentral will save you PST and you get free batteries icon_razz.gif , If not your local Walmart has them for slightly more.

PDOP's GPS Pages

Well, i added these prices up just for reference (CDN) (/w Taxes)

GPS 72 With Wolf Cable = $274.75

SporTrak (rebate) with Cable = $269.04

GPS 76 (/w cable) = $293.16

So they all came out in....nearly the same price range....the only problem, as I said above, is finding a place to purchase it in toronto at.... :/

I figured I'd chime in here.....Go for the non-mapping unit with the most basic features...It will keep your cost down. Use the leftover money for buying a great mapping software. I just purchased National Geographic's Northeastern USA CD ROM's made for them by Topo (http://www.topo.com) I don't know what's available for Canada. I much prefer being able to look at a full-color, high quality map on my computer screen and print out just the part I need.

Don't forget to bring a compass, and know how to use it. On a couple of occasions mine has helped me find a cache when my GPSr is not so trustworthy.

quote:
Originally posted by Cybo:

Here they are:

GPS72 $339

GPS12 $300

ST $349

They don't have the 76. What do you guys think? Btw, Does Wal Mart match prices?

Should those threes be twos? When I checked Walmart recently I know the GPS12 was on for $200. BTW I have had a GPS12 for three years and while it's great the design is five years old. It uses four AA's and only has 1024 track point capacity.

You should check out Future Shop for the Sport Trak too. I don't think they carry Garmin though.

PDOP's GPS Pages

Generally, to see where you are relative to the real world. When in areas with less good map coverage, I've at times encountered the frustration of following the bearing pointer, or looking at the basemap, and thus reached various dead ends of different roads.

Still, a schematic map is better than no map at all. It allows you to refer to which general direction you are heading, even if every street isn't on the map.

I don't know what you plan to use your GPS for, but in spite of spending a great deal of my time in the woods, I must admit that by far the largest part of my travelling is done on roads.

Anders

Ok, so Ive decided to go for the garmin, since there seems to be alot more support for that. Im not sure if any other walmarts in my area have the 76 (the one near me has the 72). I think Ill go with the 76 because of the PC cable and the external antenna port...unless I can find a good deal on a 72 PC cable. Ill be calling around other walmarts today. Anyone have any other comments? Thanks again everyone!

*Edit* Dang, they all only have either the 72 or the GPSMAP76 icon_frown.gif

[This message was edited by Cybo on September 19, 2003 at 12:35 PM.]

Jeez, where are the Magellan fans out there? I myself absolutely love my Sportrak Pro (which, BTW does come with a PC cable, are you sure the regular Sportrak doesn't?). Also had very good luck/usage with my old GPS315 as well, for a no-mapping unit.

The one plus with Magellan units that the Garmins don't have is the "Northfinder" feature, which shows an icon of the sun and/or moon on the compass screen. This allows you to actually know which direction north is when standing in one place. With the Garmins you have to move for the unit to realize which direction you're facing. (Unless, of course you spend the extra for a unit with the magnetic compass!)

In any case, regardless of your choice, I think you will be happy. Both Magellan and Garmin make very good units. Buy the most you can afford. When it comes to features (mapping included), it's better to "have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it".icon_biggrin.gif

We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing!

BTW, I just got a new GPS V from gpscentral.ca. Their service is excellent. I ordered yesterday morning. Called them before ordering to confirm if they had it in stock, they said yes and that they will ship it out that day if I ordered before 3pm. I did order before 3pm, paid fedex priority shipping. The unit was waiting for me at my work place 1 hour before I got in! 4 AA batteries were included too. And I don't think anybody in Canada can beat their prices cause they don't have a storefront (I doubt if Walmart will beat an online price of an online only store). GPS is their business and they know their stuff.