eTrex Updates from Garmin

Guest robamy

Guest Hawk-eye

quote:
Originally posted by tnunnery:

Haven't updated yet but:

<>

Hooray! But what is that "Added precision to distance fields" anyway?

Am I missing something ... these are the updates that have been around since the first of the month ... and I don't see anything about the setting of the track log on and off feature ... one I've been asking for since I got my Vista. By the way 2.18 works well on the Vista ... but it doesn't say the user track setting.

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk-eye:

Am I missing something ... these are the updates that have been around since the first of the month

I received mail from one of the GPS lists that I am on indicating that Garmin pulled the latest updates due to some problems (what the problems were was not mentioned).

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

28H/84F

N 47° 36.649', W 122° 3.616'

www.switchbacks.com/geocaching.html

Guest Hawk-eye

This happened with an update this past spring. Mapping program did some funky things when it changed from one map section to the other ... makes you wonder what evil lay in 2.19 .... eek.gif

Guest Prime Suspect

quote:

This happened with an update this past spring. Mapping program did some funky things when it changed from one map section to the other ... makes you wonder what evil lay in 2.19 .... eek.gif

That was 2.14(Vista). The map display would constantly erase and re-draw itself.

I downloaded 2.19, but haven't loaded it yet - good thing, I guess.We'll find out what was wrong with 2.19 when 2.20 is released. I was looking forward to getting that track log setting fixed.

I tried to load the Vista 2.20 update today, but nothing happens when you execute the updater - it simply stops on the erasing old version screen. I backed out and restarted my Unit, and the old version (2.18 in my case)appears to be intact and operable.

Howie

Guest Hawk-eye

Downloaded and installed on my Vista ... no problems ... Might try again ... if that doesn't work ... download another copy and try it ... so far ... mine seems to work ... without bugs.

Guest Prime Suspect

quote:
Originally posted by Howie:

I tried to load the Vista 2.20 update today, but nothing happens when you execute the updater - it simply stops on the erasing old version screen. I backed out and restarted my Unit, and the old version (2.18 in my case)appears to be intact and operable.

Howie

I also had no problem ungrading to 2.20. You might give it another shot.

I get the gitters about frequent software updates and software version numbers that click over on a very regular basis regardless what it's for.

Sometimes it can highlight inadequate testing in the first place. It's not good if almost every second week there's a new software version.

Cheers, Kerry.

Guest Hawk-eye

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry:

I get the gitters about frequent software updates and software version numbers ....

Cheers, Kerry.

Yes sir ... I know what you mean ... especially when they put it out and pull it within a couple of hours ... then the replacement shows up a bit later.

This Vista upgrade ... the ability to remember the track setting instead of automatically coming back on each time you shut down ... was something I asked them about ... at least 4 times ... so I was grateful to finally see that feature added. The area calculation feature from last upgrade was nice ... not needed ... but has been fun to check every once in awhile.

quote:

the ability to remember the track setting instead of automatically coming back on each time you shut down

Would you please explain in more detail what this is and how it would be useful. Forgive me for my ignorance.

Guest The 19th

That option now saves the "on/off" setting of the tracking feature.

Before, if you turned the tracking feature off, then shut the entire unit off (say, to change batteries) - it would automatically start tracking again the next time the unit is powered up.

With this update, the setting will stay whereever it was when the unit was shut off.

------------------

Lawrence Rillera

Elk Grove, CA

Guest Hawk-eye

quote:
Originally posted by The 19th:

That option now saves the "on/off" setting of the tracking feature.

....With this update, the setting will stay whereever it was when the unit was shut off.

Keeps you from having a bunch of little "tracklets" from turning on and off and such ...