Which GPS To Get Garmin gps 12 or gps 76?

Guest gneitzke

Guest gneitzke

Which GPS To Get Garmin gps 12 or gps 76?

I really dont know which one i can get, i can get either one for about the same price from a friend @ sports authority (20% off) so i am just curious i have read alot and i am not sure, tnx

Gary

I don't know anything about the 76 but I have the 12 and am very happy with it as a beginner unit. The only thing lacking is the ability to download maps which I am just beginning (4 months down the road) to realize would be a handy little feature. But without the maps I have to say that the 12 is a durable lil critter... it's gone for a dunk and a couple of falls and bounces right back. It's pretty good in heavy tree cover too.... but I am no expert.

I have an GPSMAP 76 which is the mapping version of the GPS 76. I think that if you can get the GPS 76 for the same price as the 12 then I think you will be happier with the GPS 76.

The 76 has a bigger higher resolution screen then the 12.

The 76 has a better quadrifilar antenna rather than the 12's patch antenna.

The 76 has an external antenna mount the 12 does not.

The 76 has WAAS differential support the 12 does not.

The 76 can take 8-35V external power the 12 can uses 5-8V

In general I would have to say that the GPS 76 is a new unit and will have nicer feature for the money. That said the 12 is a great unit also. I would go to Garmin's website and you can down load the PDF manual for both of those unit and read through them and pick the unit that will best fit the uses that you want to use yoru GPS for.

Late

mcb

Guest gneitzke

well the price for the gps 76 is 175, and the price for the gps 12 is 119, so they are only 50 dollars diffrent i just want the one that will suit me the best, i want to do the geocache things, but if i loose intrest i still want a gps that suits my intrests and has good reception

Guest Cucumber Jones

quote:
Originally posted by gneitzke:

well the price for the gps 76 is 175, and the price for the gps 12 is 119...

Be aware (this took me a while) that that's not the GPSMAP 76 , but rather the GPS 76 (note, no map).

I have the gpsmap 76. Still trying to figure out it's mapping abilities, but even the base map is an incredible feature. It's really a sweet unit with excellent reception. icon_smile.gif

Guest Cucumber Jones

quote:

well the price for the gps 76 is 175, and the price for the gps 12 is 119...

Be aware (this took me a while) that that's not the GPSMAP 76 , but rather the GPS 76 (note, no map).

I have the gpsmap 76. Still trying to figure out it's mapping abilities, but even the base map is an incredible feature. It's really a sweet unit with excellent reception. icon_smile.gif

Guest Chris Juricich

Aaghh! I just bought a new Garmin GPSMAP 76 on eBay tonight. $280. I've been wanting this for awhile.

So-- I'll be selling my eTrex and its data cable, more than likely.

I'm so excited!!!

Guest Iron Chef

quote:

From what i read i dont think i really need the map, i mean i have a laptop if i really need the mapping thing (plus i dont have the extra 100 for the map) also from what i understand the mapping is the only diffrence bettween the two correct? so if i really didnt need the mapping then the gps 76 is better overall for geocaching? and normal use? with good reception

--> i am really sorry if all this has been asked before

I think that the mapping is just an extra feature that is nice to have, but not totally necessary. For the most part when caching you'll be able to use the laptop's maps (considerably cheaper) to get you close enough. And if the geocache was in the backcountry then the maps won't help anyways in most cases. Both units are fine, but I would suggest springing for the GPS 76 instead of the Garmin 12. You'll enjoy WAAS.

BTW, its good to see someone else from Chula Vista. :~) I grew up right down the road in Bonita.

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!