Can't Decide...Please offer advice

Readymixer

I can't decise what unit to purchase....the Magellan Sportrak Map pr the eTrex Vista. The prices are relativly close and features are similar. Someone told me in an earlier thread that the antenna for the Sportrak was oriented such that I could hold the unit upright toward my face with great reception. Please help if anyone can!

RJ

To talk to the department manager. Ask him (her) to accompany you out to the parking lot to test both units. They will learn, and so will you. This is called "WIN-WIN". Then buy the one you want. The manager learn about his products, and makes a sale too.

HTH.

icon_biggrin.gif

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Seventeen minutes after her FIRST call for help, police officers arrived to find Ronyale White dead.

Prohibiting self defense is the ultimate crime. Police carry guns to protect themselves. What protects YOU ???

To talk to the department manager. Ask him (her) to accompany you out to the parking lot to test both units. They will learn, and so will you. This is called "WIN-WIN". Then buy the one you want. The manager learn about his products, and makes a sale too.

HTH.

icon_biggrin.gif

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Seventeen minutes after her FIRST call for help, police officers arrived to find Ronyale White dead.

Prohibiting self defense is the ultimate crime. Police carry guns to protect themselves. What protects YOU ???

quote:
Originally posted by four12:

I've had my SporTrak for five days now and have been _very_ impressed with it's accuracy, ease of use and general user friendliness.

The Garmin units are toys in comparison.

They why is it that the Magellen's map graphics look like they were made on an Etch-a-Sketch? icon_biggrin.gif

ApK

quote:
Originally posted by four12:

I've had my SporTrak for five days now and have been _very_ impressed with it's accuracy, ease of use and general user friendliness.

The Garmin units are toys in comparison.

They why is it that the Magellen's map graphics look like they were made on an Etch-a-Sketch? icon_biggrin.gif

ApK

quote:

ApK

You mean those pics that are on their and other web site (including the box and other material written about it)? In that case I would have to agree with you, they are terrible. The does alot better job of display info than that lets on (I always laugh at the poor quality on the pic of yellowstone when I compare it to the basemap alone).

wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

quote:

ApK

You mean those pics that are on their and other web site (including the box and other material written about it)? In that case I would have to agree with you, they are terrible. The does alot better job of display info than that lets on (I always laugh at the poor quality on the pic of yellowstone when I compare it to the basemap alone).

wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

Magellen Sportrak Map display resolution is 160 x 104 which is 16,640 pixels on a 2.3" x 1.4" display or 3.22 sq. inch display. This equates to a resolution of 5,168 pixels per square inch.

Garmin's Vista is 288 x 160 which is 46,080 pixels on a 2.1" x 1.1" display making the display resolution 19,948 pixels per square inch on a 2.31 sq. inch display.

Display quailty - No Comparison Garmin wins hands down.

The display size of the Garmin, however, may be an issue for some.