MobiPocket for Palm - problem doing searches

I have Pocket Queries sent to me weekly in the GPX and eBook file formats. I use the Palm Pilot version of the MobiPocket software to view the eBook format. I frequently do searches for waypoints in MobiPocket, i.e. search on GC1234. There seems to be an issue with doing searches in MobiPocket. Sometimes the search finds the string and other times it does not find it (even though the string does exist in the file).

I am wondering if the searching problem is a result of corrupt eBook file being generated by the Pocket Query Generator or is it the MobiPocket software.

There is not much I can do about a corrupt eBook file, however if it is the MobiPocket software is there an alternative?

Does anyone have any alternative solutions to get cache descriptions on a Palm Pilot?

Thanks in advance,

m2orris

To answer the original question, it's probably the MobiPocket software for Palm. Whoever wrote it had no idea how to write Palm software.

Besides the various Plucker-based solutions (GPX2HTML, GPX Spinner) there's also GPXDoc which generates standard PalmDoc files you can read with just about any Palm document reader. I recommend CSpotRun or TealDoc (CSpotRun is free but TealDoc is not.)

warm.gif

I use GPX Spinner and Plucker to send the GPX information to the Palm. You can sort your list an several different ways, decrypt hints, show nearest caches to the one you're at, and the program works faster than MobiPocket. I like it a lot better than the MobiPocket program.

I'm also going to look at the GPXDoc program and see what it looks like.

"The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8m/sec/sec."

-Marcus Dolengo

quote:
... There seems to be an issue with doing searches in MobiPocket. Sometimes the search finds the string and other times it does not find it (even though the string does exist in the file).

I am wondering if the searching problem is a result of corrupt eBook file being generated by the Pocket Query Generator or is it the MobiPocket software.

Does anyone have any alternative solutions to get cache descriptions on a Palm Pilot?

I have run into this problem too; the Find feature in Mobi seems very flaky. I've even had a Find crash so hard while looping through three pages, that I had to reset the unit.

Those errors, and the simple fact that Mobi is a memory hog (not the greatest thing on a 2MB Zire), made me look elsewhere.

These days, I'm using Cachemate. This Geocaching database app stores information about caches/benchmarks, decodes hints, and transfers log data to the Palm MemoPad application.

Only registered users can import GPX files, but at six dollars, it's a real bargain.

Unlike the MobiPocket reader, CacheMate is more than just a reference tool, it's a cache 'journal' database, and you can record the details of your hunt while out in the field.

57027_1500.gif