Best GPS 4 Hiking & Highway use?

Guest SixGirl

Guest SixGirl

Opinions anyone?

Looking for something to use both driving and hiking. Want to be dual purpose. Geocaching looks like fun. And hey, I'm not a millionaire so let's stay away from the 3k units unless you are buying icon_smile.gif

Thanks!

Guest peter

Lots of good units out there that will suit both needs. I like my Garmin eMap which is small and light for hiking but also includes features good for use in the car: large expandable memory for maps, audible alarm to warn of upcoming turns, fairly large display, search for address or intersection function, business and other 'point-of-interest database, and external antenna capability if you ever get a car with metallic window coatings. The new Garmin Map76 looks good too and is more waterproof (I cover the eMap in a ziplock when it gets beyond a light rain), but doesn't let you expand memory past 8 MB. With either one you need to get the MetroGuide CDROM maps for the full capability - look for package deals.