REALLY waterproof unit?

But you might consider just purchasing the unit that will best meet your needs aside from waterproofness and then get a clear plastic waterproof container that will hold it. Pelican makes hard cases (you can buy them at R.E.I.), or you can probably find soft plastic types designed for FRS radios (Motorola sells good ones). These would allow you to operate the unit while "in the bag".

The selection will be wider and the overall cost probably much lower than if you limit yourself to truly waterproof units.

Worldtraveler

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

But you might consider just purchasing the unit that will best meet your needs aside from waterproofness and then get a clear plastic waterproof container that will hold it. Pelican makes hard cases (you can buy them at R.E.I.), or you can probably find soft plastic types designed for FRS radios (Motorola sells good ones). These would allow you to operate the unit while "in the bag".

The selection will be wider and the overall cost probably much lower than if you limit yourself to truly waterproof units.

Worldtraveler

I posted the same question here as my first post back in 2001!

I eventully went with the Garmin 76 series because it is designed for marine use. Spring for the MAP version if you can afford it. Even after seeing the units that have come out since, I still think its the most waterproof of the lot. Still, I know better then to tempt fate. The drybox idea is good, but you need to take it out to use the GPS, thus exposing it to all the risks. I triple protect my GPS when using it with my canoe or Waverunner.

I start with a drybag like the ones used for handheld marine radios. It never leaves that bag when I'm on the water. When I'm not using it, it also goes into a small tupperware container, mostly for impact resistance. It then goes into a small food cooler with all my other valuables, like the type designed to hold a 6-pack. There are several reasons for this. First it makes it easy to grab everything of value if I stop somehere and leave my boat. It has a shoulder strap to make it easy to carry. It's semi-waterproof on its own. Some water seeps in around the zipper if you totally submerge it, but not alot. the insulation make it float, and acts as padding against impact as well. It's brightly colored, so it makes it easy to find if it does happen to go overboard, and the strap makes it easy to grab.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

I'll second shegget's recommendation of the AquaPac. I've had one for a couple years and put my eMap in it when sea kayaking. They say they test them to IPX8 standards whereas the best GPS units use IPX7 (less depth). It's been submerged and had waves dump on it with no problems and the GPS is still easy to see and operate while in the pouch.

Also has a nice sturdy lanyard that I wrap around my deck compass and comes in bright colors so you can see it bobbing around if you forgot to secure the lanyard.

quote:
Originally posted by jeffps40:

I just bought the Magellan sport Trak and on the various rating sites, it is rated water proof and it is suppose to float. It seems like a very water tight unit. The battery compartment is outlined in 'O' rings.

Pretty much ALL the consumer GPSrs have the same waterproof rating, IPX7. I also have a SporTrak Pto, and you are correct about the o-ring on the battery compartment. However, a search of the forums here will show lots of people are noticing hairline cracks starting around the screws on the back, and one person posted about getting water in that way. The Etrex line is just as waterproof, but you will find lots of people who got them wet and they died. You will also find just as many who ducked them with no problems. Most GPSrs also don't float very well if at all, and the waterproof standard doesn't account for the forces of water pressure encountered when the unit is dropped into the water. Why chance it, get a drybag.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

But I am not afraid to take it out in the rain. The first day I bought my Garmin Venture I had it out looking for a cache. I believe it seen snow, rain and hail all in the same day. It has been out with me on a few more occasions when the sky has opened up and started pouring and I just held it in my hand and let it get just as wet as the rest of me. I have never had a problem. I wouldnt go dunking it in the pool for a true test, but I sure dont bag it away as soon as I see rain/snow. I paid top dollar for my Garmin V and Ill be damned if Im gonna tuck it away for any weather. If it ever fails due to water seeping in, I trust they will honor the warranty or at least fix it at nominal cost when such warranty runs out.

Using it on a boat is another story. Obviously there is much greater potential of it sinking if dropped. Not good. I don't boat, but I plan on buying a kayak, and I DO plan on taking both with me when I do. The bag would be a good idea, just so it does not sink if it does fall overboard or I roll over.

Not for nothing but I know advertising is the key to sales, but they show these units in all sorts of weather and conditions, not to mention they $ell software to navigate on almost every major lake, river and ocean. Why would anyone be afraid to take it aboard with them?

TEAM SHIBBY!!!!

Krs, Kar & Na