Metes & Bounds to Lat. & Long.

I have a pretty good GPSr, a Magellan Sportrac Pro, and I can generally find a location in degrees, minutes, secs etc. (actually still learning this process as well).

I want to find a location 2640 feet East of a certain location that I am standing on. ( a marker).

How can I enter this into my GPSr so I can then locate another possible marker. This isin a very rugged location with much up & down hills and rocks. I think this will entail a calculation, which will then yield a new set of degrees, minutes, seconds etc.

Help, please and thanks.

quote:
2640 feet East
Hmmm, sounds more like sectional surveying than Metes and bounds. Looking for a section monument? Depending on what the topography is like in your part of the country, projecting a waypoint as described is a lousy way to find it, because it won't be anywhere near the projected waypoint. If there is not a grid of roads along the section lines then the GPS might get you close enough to look for old brush lines, fence lines, tree blazes, witness posts, and survey flagging. If there is a grid of roads then you don’t need the GPSR at all, just drive to the intersection half a mile east and you’ve found it.

If you really in a metes and bounds part of the country, then I’d say the point you’re looking for is even less likely to be near the projected waypoint.

Hi Blindleader; actually the place I'm referring to is anything but flat, and there are no roads. This is no big deal; I'm just trying to use my GPSr as much as possible for practice. All I have is a township,range. section etc of this place. I found one corner which is accessable by car. I just wanted to try to find another corner 1/2 mi. E., using my GPSr. Now I have even mispplaced my manual.

quote:
Originally posted by fishuntr:

I want to find a location 2640 feet East of a certain location that I am standing on. ( a marker).

Okay, here's how I would do it.

• I would switch to the 'Position' screen (the one with all the data).
  • Then select the menu key. One of the options is 'Projection', select that. This will bring up the project a waypoint screen.
  • Enter in 0.5 mi for the distance (2640 ft = 0.5 mi) and enter 90 as the bearing (North = 0, East = 90, South = 180, West = 270). Be sure you know what North reference your GPS is set to (Magnetic vs True North) because your projected waypoint will be different depending on which mode you are in.
  • Select okay, which will bring up the waypoint screen with the projected coordinates calculated and a waypoint name of something like PRJ001.

• Save the waypoit.

• Goto the saved waypoint.

That should be about it.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Thanks Marky; I'll try it today. I'm sorry I have to told in such elementary terms. I really appreciate the friendly folks on this board. I have to say though, upgrading from my old Mag 2000 to this unit is like going from a bicycle to an airplane.

quote:
Originally posted by fishuntr:

Thanks Marky; I'll try it today. I'm sorry I have to told in such elementary terms.

There are a lot of screens to get used to, so give it time. One neat thing you can do with the projection screen is project from a waypoint (or point of interest) instead of the current position. That way, you could project a waypoint from an existing waypoint while sitting at home (handy if you are solving a puzzle cache that requires you to do so).

At a recent picnic event cache we had, Fizzymagic had a projection exercize where you had a starting point and then had to do a series of projections ending up at a specific spot. I did the whole exercize on my Sportrak while sitting at the picnic table and got to watch everyone else run around. icon_wink.gif And no comments about me being lazy... icon_razz.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"