UTM to Lat/Lon conversion and vice versa

Guest markusby

Guest markusby

Ever since I started working with UTM in the military, I've come to see it as a far superior grid system. It's easier to use, there is no devience in spacing of gridlines and you can calulate distance just by knowing the positions of two points. The problem is that Easy GPS only lets you work with Lat/Lon numbers and doesn't convert. Is there a program that lets you convert? I would like to put waypoints from my military maps into my GPS.

Thanks!

Mark

Every GPS that I have used or seen will do the conversion. There is a setting which tells the GPS how to display and what type of units to accept waypoints in. You tell the GPS you are using UTM and then all the waypoints in it will display as UTM. Any new ones you enter you use UTM. Then if you wish you can tell the GPS to use Degrees and Minutes that is how the waypoints in it will display and how new waypoints will have to be entered.

So if you want to use UTM for geocaching, set the GPS to Degrees and minutes, either manually enter or use EasyGPS to enter cache locations, then set the GSP to use UTM and it will display them in UTM.

quote:
Originally posted by gnbrotz:

PanTerra and ExpertGPS (both from TopoGrafix) will do this. It will do all waypoints in any given file without doing them one by one.

So will Garmin's Mapsourse on your PC. It will switch all waypoint ccordinates between UTM, MGRS,dd.ddddd, dd mm.mmm dd mm ss.s and about 50 different grid and other systems to fit around 100 Map Datums. Of course it make sense to have a Garmin unit so you can also load the maps into the GPS.

Alan