GPS V help - is there a free upgrade to a GPS V deluxe if I purchase the old version now?

I can get the older version of the GPS V. fairly cheep at walmart, because

it is on clearance. I would like to know if Garmin is offering a update to

city select for free? But I need to know fairly soon because there are not

many left.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

What I meant is this is the Garmin V that comes with only one unlock code, and just major city are detailed. Joe and Jacks websites sayes this, "If you bought the "Old" version after April 2002, you are entitled to a special deal from Garmin on the new map program and unlock all code so you are not in financial jeopardy no matter which you buy." I am just wonderin if this is still going on, and what the deal is?

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

Lets see if I got this right. I can get version 4.01, but I can only unlock one of the areas, and it would cost $75 for the full unlock. Then I might not get some of the other freebees?

Wyatt W

I got hold of Garmin, they said it would cost $50 dollars for the full unlock for 4.01, and $75 for 5.0.

I decided to pick one up (I can still return it if I find a problem) since the price is similar to the deluxe (which I can get around here for $400-500!). When I am done it should be within $10 of what I can find on the Internet, and I don't have to pay shipping (or wait).

Another question, how much memory does the entire state of South Dakota take? I was surprised how much room the TOPO maps took.

Wyatt W.

quote:
Originally posted by Alphawolf:

How big is that state? I can get 2/3 of Utah with Topo on my V, and we have lots of mountains!

"Never take a sunset for granted. Stop what you are doing and enjoy it. You never know when it may be your last"

The entire state is a little over 30mb.

Wyatt W.

quote:
The entire state is a little over 30mb

Go figure...South Dakota is a litle over 77,000 sq. mi. & Utah is almost 85,000 sq. mi. South Dakota is very flat and Utah has a lot of tall mountains. Utah takes about 26 mb to map and SD takes over 30? Wassup with that? Any conjecture? Beats me!

"Never take a sunset for granted. Stop what you are doing and enjoy it. You never know when it may be your last"