rino vs venture

gitarmac

I had a rino 110. It was my first gps. I got it origionally for hunting and hiking. I was looking to replace my motorola two way and this seemed like a handy tool. Well it was. It took a week or so to get used to all the features but the more I used it the more I loved it. That's when I got interested in geocashing.

I had a little problem with the radio on some channels that the software upgrade didn't fix and sent it back to garmin. I was a little dissapointed and said I wouldn't mind if they just switched out the rino with a venture if the unit could not be fixed. Then the day before yesterday, on a different forum, a garmin user pointed out the software difference between the rinos and the plain gps counterparts. I had called garmin and knew that my unit was on the way to me.

Well today I got it, they sent me the venture, which before that post I thought I really wanted. I'll say one thing, garmin has the best customer service of anyone!! The other person was right, even though the radios might not be quite as good as the motorola, the gps part has some cool features that I'm going to miss. The rino actually kept satilite reception in my house!! I also miss how it would tell me a turn was coming up when I did a backtrack.

Oh well, live and learn. I'm just glad I have my gps back!! I was jonesing for the past couple weeks! Now I can get back to looking for cashes.

I choose a non-mapping unit because I didn't think I would need maps. I still don't, I would rather just see the waypoints I need to see. I'll probably regret that soon too!

The venture is a little smaller and lighter and I can get more accessories for it so I'll get over my dissapointment but for all you rino users out there, just know that your rino is more than the radio and gps, the software is a little different and I think the reception might be better also.

How do you etrex users carry them? My rino had a beltclip. I might get the case/clip for my legend, I haven't gone for a long walk yet but I can't see it keeping a connection hanging from a lanyard around my neck and I don't want to hold it in my hand the whole time.

Howdy.

I use a Venture. It is more than enough for me - I like the size and weight. I carry enough gear, don't need a big bulky GPSr.

I carry my venture in a modifyed pager pouch. For a photo of it, go HERE.

It hangs on the shoulder strap of my camelbak. In the desert, it never loses lock on the satellites that way.

Hope this helps.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!