Map down load

Guest RLO

If I down load Map Sources Topos into my Etrex Legend will I still have access to the base map or will it be gone until I dump the topo download?

Where is a good place to buy MapSource's Topo Software?

Thanks

Ross

quote:
Originally posted by Elwood:

base map goes bye bye when you install any mapsource maps, its a feature i hate and have griped about many times.

i need some more cheese to go with my whine

Can you get it back?

Guest ClayJar

ca's Highway 2.0 basemap (same page for the eTrex Legend or Vista; this URL says Vista, but the title says Legend, so I assume it's the same basemap). Quoting from the end of the first paragraph: "The internal basemap cannot be updated or upgraded."

[This message has been edited by ClayJar (edited 05 October 2001).]

Guest Prime Suspect

quote:
Originally posted by Elwood:

base map goes bye bye when you install any mapsource maps, its a feature i hate and have griped about many times.

i need some more cheese to go with my whine

Untrue. The basemap is never removed. The unit ships with Marine POI data preloaded. That's what gets wiped out when you upload a map. No problem though. You can download the Marine POI file from the Garmine website and restore it at any time.

Example (on a Vista instead of a Legend, but there no difference as far as this discussion goes) - I have MetroGuide data for Oklahoma and Arkansas loaded into the unit. Now I hit the Find button, and go to Chicago. What do I see? The basemap data for Chicago.

It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

[This message has been edited by Prime Suspect (edited 05 October 2001).]

Guest Elwood

yes you can download and get back the base map, and when you reinstall it to your gpsr it deletes any mapsource maps you have allready loaded on your unit...sorry but in my opinion just a bad way for map downloads to be handled....the user should be able to decide what gets deleted and what doesnt on his unit, Garmin should retool this if possible.

just my opinion, your opinion may vary.

Elwood

Guest ClayJar

The basemap doesn't get deleted. You don't re-upload the basemap. The basemap is all-powerful. The basemap is Ivanova. (Um, oops, too far.)

What you seem to be wanting (just to clarify it in case you want to ask your manufacturer about it) is the option to use the basemap in lieu of uploaded detail maps while there are uploaded detail maps for that region in your GPSr.

Guest Elwood

ok i should clarify, apparently there is a distinction between the basemap which is never deleted, and the marine basemap (specific to the garmin e-trex gpsr's)which can and is deleted whenever you download new mapsets to your handheld. my gripe is that the the end user should have the option to delete or not to delete a map or set of maps,on his device.

its just faulty software (IMHO) that makes it a non choice issue.

Guest ClayJar

It's not exaclty "faulty" software. I would say (from a programmer's standpoint) that it's much simpler to have the map data be contiguous. If they let you pick and choose which maps to keep, which to remove, and which to add when you do a map upload, they would have to build some sort of defragmentaion into the thing. It would get more complicated rather quickly (and I don't know if I'd really like to have to have the unit defragging in flash if the unit uses that, as it would be both slow and an unnecessary amount of reflashing as it moves data around).

Now, if the PC software doesn't have a straightforward way of choosing which maps to keep, delete, and add (including the original stuff), then yes, I would call the PC software flawed.

I'm just waiting to see if my SD card reader will be able to backup card images (i.e. disk images) of the maps I upload to my MeriGold. It'd be great to have a set of card images of the various regions that I could swap onto my 64MB SD card without having to re-upload them via the MeriGold every time. It'd practically be like having multiple cards without the additional expense.

Guest Elwood

quote:
"Now, if the PC software doesn't have a straightforward way of choosing which maps to keep, delete, and add (including the original stuff), then yes, I would call the PC software flawed."

then in my opinion the Garmin software is flawed!

------------------

"Well.... if theres a bright center to the universe, you are on the planet that is farthest from." (Luke Skywalker, Star Wars)