Mapsource Question!

Guest Chris Juricich

Guest Chris Juricich

A couple, actually--

? How much memory do the Mapsource CDs take up on a device? I use the Map 76 which has 8 MB of memory-- would a topo map of CA use up all that space? How big are the files?

? Do the maps in memory slow down performance at all on the devices? Do they process more slowly?

? Do topo or street maps take up more memory?

Thanks-- I'm moderately interested in these CD-ROMS, but maaann!! $100?? $200?? Seems rather expensive!! Are they worth it?

Guest gstrong1

Hi again Chris.Question #1. Mapsource Topo maps for the whole state of California would take up approximatly 60 mb. of memory. I've e-mailed you a scanned map with an area highlighted in red that eats up 7.9 mb. of memory.I believe it's an area near you since you're registration says Berkley. #2. The only way the topo maps slow down anything on the MAP76, is when it's generating the image on the map page. The more detail you have it set to show, the longer it will take to load the map image. #3.Topo maps take up more memory than the road maps because they show more ground detail.Elevation lines,streams, trails etc. Hope this helps. If the Berkley topo doesn't get to your e-mail, e-mail me, & I'll send it again. Gimpy

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY