Which to Get: Mag 315 or G eMAP?

AR-15

I'm brand new to GPS/geocaching and to these forums. My first look at GPS units at Bizrate.com leads me to the Magellan 315 or the Garmin eMAP.

I'm a hunter, 4 wheeler, hiker, probably geocach'er when I get a GPS unit and auto traveler (specifically the SW deserts).

I need a unit that can go and be powered by my '98 Dodge Ram for trips. It must also be hand held. 12 channels, 500 waypoints etc. should be standard.

Which unit do you recommend and why?

Thanks,

AR-15

I would suggest to keep looking. The 315 is a good unit but lack any map capabilities. The emap is a great mapping unit but is not water prof and is not in a rugged a case as most other GPS units.

If you are going to use it for all the mentioned activities then I would recommend looking at one of the following units

Garmin GPSMAP 76

Magellan 330 series. Magellan in running a 30-50 rebate on this series

Magellan New Meridian Series. Probable the Gold unit.

Any of these units will probable have all the features you need. They are a bit more expensive then either of the units you mentioned. If your on a tight budget and have to pick between the two the you will have to decide between slighly better performance of the 315 or maps on the eMap.

If it help any Magellan is also offering a 30 rebate on the 315.

mcb

The most obvious difference between them is the ability of the emap to accept Mapsource maps (with added memory chip) It's biggest drawback where you will be concerned is it's lack of watertight integrity. This could be an issue in the out of doors, unless you protect it well. Also, because it is not waterproof, I would think dust could be a serious concern. I like them both, but don't consider them to be equitable units. They were really designed with different purposes in mind.

7871_200.jpg

I've used my eMap almost every day for the last two years and highly recommend it. It's not rated as waterproof due to the memory card slot inside the battery cover which could let water get inside. But I've had mine out on my bicycle handlebars through a number of showers without any problems. I've also inadvertently tested the durability of the case on several occasions and it has held up very well. The most severe was letting it fall from 6' up at 20 mph on to the pavement - that resulted in a little scratch to one corner but no other damage. It's fallen in the mud; been subjected to vibration on my handlebars on many fast, bumpy descents; been through dust storms, etc. and still works fine.

If you're still concerned, Garmin makes a yellow rubber cover that fits over the back and sides - it adds water resistance by covering the battery cover and also protects against shock.

The built-in basemap is about equivalent to statewide highway maps - no small street detail but enough to get you from town to town. It also includes useful information on services available at interstate exits.

One of the best features of the eMap is expandability - you can later add memory, detailed street/topo/marine maps, and/or an ampified external antenna.

I use mine for bike rides, hikes/backpacking, seakayaking, and car trips.

BTW, if you can afford to spend a little more I'd encourage you to get the eMap package deal of the base unit, PC cable, 8 MB memory card, and MetroGuide maps which I've seen for $215 from www.tvnav.com (no connection other than as a satisfied customer). The MG maps add a lot of value if you'll be using it for car trips. You can preview the level of detail by using the MapViewer feature on Garmin's website (go to Cartography and click on the MapSource CD picture).

Your post said hunting. The eMap would probably not be up to snuff for that (some rabid eMap fans would debate this, though). Face it. The eMap was designed to sit in a car. Although you could take an eMap in the woods, it is not designed for that.

First, decide if you want a map or not. As far as non-mapping receivers go, the 315 is real nice. The POI database sets it above the non-mapping eTrex line. The eTrex line is smaller, though. This makes it easier to carry.

If you want mapping, then you have several options. The eTrex line is small, cute, and rugged. The eTrex Legend ($225) has 8mb for your maps, and the Vista ($315) has 24mb, along with a compass and barometric altimeter. The GPSMAP76 ($325) has 8mb and a nice look and feel.

The Magellan Meridian has two units worth looking at. The basic ($200) and the Gold ($270) differ only in that the basic has a tiny (2mb) base map, while the gold has a detailed 16mb map (I believe that this is the best base map of any GPS). They do not have memory built in for downloadable maps, but they take SD cards which are available at any major computer store at sizes up to 128MB (wow). If you buy over the net, they are available at around $1.00 per MB. The only disadvantage of the Meridian series is that the screen does not quite have the same resolution as the newer Garmin mappers (same resolution as the eMap, though). The case is larger than the eTrex (about the same as the 76, though), and no lanyard attachment.

As far as the maps go, the Garmin metroguide ($120) is supposed to be a little better than the Magellan Streets & Destinations ($80), but costs more.

If you are very budget limited, I would go for either the eTrex Legend ($225) or the Magellan Meridian ($200). The Legend is fixed at 8MB, but you just add the map. The Meridian will also require a SD card, but the map is cheaper. The Meridian also gives you the option of buying a cheap SD programmer ($20). Filling the memory of a Vista (24MB) can take an hour. Filling the memory of a 128MB SD card can take 5 minutes.

My eMap has taken me on geocaches all winter. Been flying and landing hard while I've slipped on teacherous trails and slopes. Gotten me to the caches using the built in map and gotten me out of the woods with the bread crumbs. Yeah, I wouldn't want to drop it in water but rain and snow are no big deal. Pouring rain? Put it in a baggie if you're worried, but who hunts then, except for ducks. icon_biggrin.gif I have a 64Meg chip in it and Metroguide. I was on a hunt today that was out of town. Part of the hunt was to get a bearing at a certain building. They gave the address but no coordinates. I poked the address into the eMap and it pointed the way there. Pretty neat!

I am looking at a GPS-V. Double the money but has automatic routing, WAAS and rotatable screen.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

My eMap has taken me on geocaches all winter. Been flying and landing hard while I've slipped on teacherous trails and slopes. Gotten me to the caches using the built in map and gotten me out of the woods with the bread crumbs. Yeah, I wouldn't want to drop it in water but rain and snow are no big deal. Pouring rain? Put it in a baggie if you're worried, but who hunts then, except for ducks. icon_biggrin.gif I have a 64Meg chip in it and Metroguide. I was on a hunt today that was out of town. Part of the hunt was to get a bearing at a certain building. They gave the address but no coordinates. I poked the address into the eMap and it pointed the way there. Pretty neat!

I am looking at a GPS-V. Double the money but has automatic routing, WAAS and rotatable screen.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

I definatly like my eMap, and you get weather resistant bag on eBay for $10 that will help in the field. It's IPX2 water resistant as is, so dust should not be a problem, but it it definatly geared more for the car than the field. (It doesn't have typical navagation screens, for example.)

We also just got a Meridian. The maps and screen quality are clearly better on the eMap, but the Meridian is more ruggedly designed, it seems, and waterproof, and has a better built in antenna.

quote:
Originally posted by AR-15:

I'm brand new to GPS/geocaching and to these forums. My first look at GPS units at Bizrate.com leads me to the Magellan 315 or the Garmin eMAP.

I'm a hunter, 4 wheeler, hiker, probably geocach'er when I get a GPS unit and auto traveler (specifically the SW deserts).

I need a unit that can go and be powered by my '98 Dodge Ram for trips. It must also be hand held. 12 channels, 500 waypoints etc. should be standard.

Which unit do you recommend and why?

Thanks,

AR-15

quote:
Originally posted by ApK:

The maps and screen quality are clearly better on the eMap,

AR-15

What do you mean by the screen quality is better? Since the emap display is 1.7" * 2.2" with 120*160 pixels, and the meridian is 1.75"*2.2" with the same number of pixels. It would seem that the clarity would be about the same.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

I think that the LCD screen contrast is the issue with the meridian.

I had bought a Garmin GPS Map76 at a boat place, and tried it on a walk and also in the car. I played around with the contrast and backlight, it was so bad, that I couldnt read it when walking, and almost crashed my car because i coulnt see the display clearly. The Map76 has a yellowish green baground on the display, even without the backlight. I took back the Map76 the next day. The contrast of the store display model was better than the one i had for a day, but still didn't like it.

What I believe is the issue, is that a few GPS units might have a bad display. My little eTrex Vista's display is quite readable.

As far as this message thread goes, I believe that the best way to go is to save up and get the GPS V. Everything about it is excelent, including the readability of the display.

The GPS 315 is a great Geocacher model, but id worry about a broken eMap, with all the money spent on it including accesories.

5_Rubik.gif

quote:
Originally posted by phantom4099:

What do you mean by the screen quality is better? Since the emap display is 1.7" * 2.2" with 120*160 pixels, and the meridian is 1.75"*2.2" with the same number of pixels. It would seem that the clarity would be about the same.

Yeah, you'd think so. It's the difference between paper specs and actual execution. Fonts are sharper and more readable on the eMap, menus look more polished, street maps are easier to read, lines are clearer. I suspect that Garmin just had a better UI designer.

It's partially subjective, I guess, but I'm sitting here with the eMap in one hand and the Meridian in the other* and the eMap just looks better...more professional.

ApK

* So then you may ask, how am I typing?

quote:

AR-15

Between the two, I'd go with the Etrex Legend. icon_cool.gif Seriously, if you're looking for something small to take hiking, and also functional for driving, the Legend is tough to beat without spending a lot more money. I bought one, and I'm very happy with it. It 8MB, built in WAAS, built in basemap that isn't bad, and ability to download mapsource maps.

quote:

AR-15

Between the two, I'd go with the Etrex Legend. icon_cool.gif Seriously, if you're looking for something small to take hiking, and also functional for driving, the Legend is tough to beat without spending a lot more money. I bought one, and I'm very happy with it. It 8MB, built in WAAS, built in basemap that isn't bad, and ability to download mapsource maps.

quote:
Originally posted by Geoffrey:

As far as this message thread goes, I believe that the best way to go is to save up and get the GPS V. Everything about it is excelent, including the readability of the display.

I just got a Meridian. However, if Garmin made a version of the V that took SD cards, or at least made a V with around 64MB for maps, then I would have purchased one in a heartbeat.

quote:
Originally posted by harrkev:

quote:
Originally posted by Geoffrey:

I just got a Meridian. However, if Garmin made a version of the V that took SD cards, or at least made a V with around 64MB for maps, then I would have purchased one in a heartbeat.

Or any removable memory card, even Garmin's for that matter. As it is, you can get both the eMap AND the Meridian for the price of a V.

I have used my eMap in the city, in the woods, and in the desert. A change of memory stick and I can go from topo detail to hotels/restaurants. I use the yellow jacket and it has cushioned many a drop. The waterproof bag works well in rain and desert/beach sand. Absolutely the best choice.

Bizrate stated that these 2 units were equivalent, not me, I don't know enough to know what's equivalent or not.

From the comments above, it appears the Mag 315 is more robust, but has no maps; the Garmin eMap has maps but is not robust and I should buy a more expensive unit anyway.

Thanks for all the comments, keep them coming!

AR-15

If you do go with the Meridian, think seriously about buying mapsend topo for the US it also comes with an 16 mb chip. it retails just under $100.00 at wally world, you can find it cheaper on the net.

I spent about 3 months deciding which way to go and finally decided on the Magellan gold,although until I trust it as explicitly as my Lowrance global nav 212, the 212 will be carried as backup.

icon_smile.gif

If you do go with the Meridian, think seriously about buying mapsend topo for the US it also comes with an 16 mb chip. it retails just under $100.00 at wally world, you can find it cheaper on the net.

I spent about 3 months deciding which way to go and finally decided on the Magellan gold,although until I trust it as explicitly as my Lowrance global nav 212, the 212 will be carried as backup.

icon_smile.gif

quote:

From the comments above, it appears the Mag 315 is more robust, but has no maps; the Garmin eMap has maps but is not robust and I should buy a more expensive unit anyway.

Actually, I think all the comments from people who've actually used the eMap for awhile have emphasized that it is more than sufficiently robust. I certainly don't baby mine - it's fallen numerous times, been rained on quite often, gets pretty drenched from sweat whenever I go on a bike ride in warm weather, and has never given me any problems or shown signs of interior moisture. It's not submersible due to the memory card slot, so for sea kayaking I do put it in a waterproof bag. But I'd note that based on all the reports on sci.geo.satellite-nav about water damage to supposedly waterproof units, I'd protect any other GPSr in the same way while kayaking.

For hiking, bicycling, geocaching, etc., I don't take any special precautions with my eMap and I've had no problems in over two years of almost daily use.

The package deal of $215 for the eMap, 8MB card, PC cable, and MetroGuide maps is a very good deal. The best price I've seen for MetroGuide alone is $115, so you're getting the eMap deluxe for only $100 more.

Guys,

My original plan went to heck in basket, so here I am +8 months later and still haven't bought a GPS unit.

Now instead of ETrex vs. M-315, I'm now thinking of the Garmin Etrex Legend. Around $200 plus $50 rebate AND my wife says she'll buy one for me.

So what's the verdict this time?

Thanks,

AR-15

You're not one to impulse shop are you?

I'd still recommend the eMap, but the Legend is close behind (as are Magellan's mapping models for the way I use my GPSr). If the choice is between a mapping unit and a non-mapping one for pretty similar cost, then go with the mapping unit. Otherwise you're likely to regret it down the road and need to upgrade. The mapping units have far more applications beyond geocaching.

My opinion is to buy a meridian series (any level should do depending on how much you want to spend), then buy a 128MB SD chip from costco.com for about $57, and Mapsend Topo (covers all of the US) from amazon.com for $70 (or better prices if you can find them). Note: Mapsend Topo has streets on it so you don't have to buy Streets and destinations too if you don't want to, like I unfortunately did.

While garmin does make many good GPSr's I would avoid the etrex series if you are going to be using it in heavy trees

I have both a n emap and a legend,both have advantages and disadvantages.the e map is much easier to use in a car(bigger screen) and has a better ant. than the Legend.but with the e map u have to buy more memory, to load more maps.the Legend is quicker to use on the kbd,and easier to carry while walking.I find that under tree cover the e maps ant.keeps lock much better than the legend. so it kind of depends on personal preference

Those that can,do; those that can't,teach; those that can't do or teach, manage

OK, Emap is around the same price range, roughly. But it doesn't have WAAS capability. Is this important?

Peter, you caught that about me didn't you? I'm not so sure I'd call it impulse buying as opposed to making up my mind, fast!

All help and comments appreciated, I'm learning fast!

Thanks,

AR-15

Hi ther AR-15......I recently picked up a 315 from Sears for $48.97 on closeout! Sears item 32883 you can call around to your local and see if they still have one....you get brave ask for item #32884 thats the 330x MAP kit for $149.97.....I did my resarch but in my area no one had the map unit....as far as your etrex legend..search the forums under etrex and "reception issues" under heavy coverage you will loose signal with a etrex.....Im about to pickup the Magellan Meridian Platnium thats only $239 at www.shopharmony.com you cant beat that price anywhere! and that in my opinion is way better than the emap......good luck and keep us posted icon_wink.gif

OK, it came down to the Garmin Legend, Magellan 330, Magellan Meridan Gold and the Magellan Sportrak Pro. I picked the Sportrack Pro. $199 plus a $50 rebate from Magellan. None of the four take an external antenna, all were about the same (to my virgin eyes, anyway) and the Sportrak Pro seemed the best for the money. My limit was $200. With car accessories, battery charger and 8 NiMH batteries plus map software came to around $300.

I internetted it so I'll report when it arrives.

Thanks for all the help!

AR-15.