V "autoshutdown" ... nest victim

dzavetsky

Well, my barely-a-week-old V is giving me the unwanted shutdowns when I use it on my motorcycle....

Garmin is sending me the battery spacer gizmo in the mail....I hope this does the trick...$400 is too much to spend and have silly issues like this.....

Anyone else using this gizmo?? Does it work??

DZ

I hope it works....

I dont think I wantt o tape the rechargeables due to the heat issues I hear everyone talking about....

I stuck in some alkalines this AM and they seemed to rattle around even MORE...but the unit didnt shut down on the way in.....

So hopefully that gizmo will work.....with the rechargeable energizers, it even shut down once on my while walking....

I plan on (eventually) getting a power cable installed on the bike so I can have the light on all the time, but IMHO this is kind of a silly problem that should not exist in a $400 piece of equipment....just my opine of course....

If the gizmo does the trick I will be happy...but why not fix teh problem in the design? Or at least give teh gizmo with every new unit....

DZ

quote:
Originally posted by wellermj:

I have the battery spacer gizmo in my V and it has never lost power while out on the bike and i used it all this weekend....

Yep...already running rechargeables...they are the Energizers I refer to....

Unfortunately they shut down way too much so until the gizmo arrives I am using the alkalines...even with THOSE, my unit is shutting down 2-3 times on the bike.... icon_frown.gif

This *REALLY* bugs me.....I mean, the unit is 2 weeks old (not even) and already having these issues!?!? I hope this is not an indication of what is to come...I really like this V, but if it is so delicate that it cant ride on my bike with me without problems, I wont use it....I *REALLY* hope that the gizmo does the trick...

DZ

quote:
Originally posted by Brainerd:

dzavetsky... ''The heat issue'' has to do with 1st generation chargers, not the batteries. Do your pocket book and the environment a favor, and get some NiMH's.

quote:
Originally posted by dzavetsky:

Well, my barely-a-week-old V is giving me the unwanted shutdowns when I use it on my motorcycle....

Garmin is sending me the battery spacer gizmo in the mail....I hope this does the trick...$400 is too much to spend and have silly issues like this.....

Anyone else using this gizmo?? Does it work??

DZ

How did you go about getting this from Garmin? My V does the same thing. I'm using Quest NMH batts. Let me know. Thanks.