?Use of GPS on Golf Course

I have the center of the greens marked for my local courses. I load the holes into my eMap before I go out. That way I know how far out in the rough I am.

There is a company called skygolf that has a custom sled for a Palm/Visor with a GPS and custom apps. They have a lot of courses in their database and if you request a course, they will do their best to add it.

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

13914_200.jpg

I tried using the GPS a couple of times last summer by waypointing the tee-boxes and then measuring length of drives. It was fairly close to the fairway markers (on the few drives that actually went down the centre) so I didn't feel there was any advantage in using it regularly on a marked course.

One thing I am doing soon as a retirement gift for a buddy is to obtain an aerial photo of his golf course, caddy a round for him carrying my GPS to record his actual walking track and download it to the scanned-in aerial, also waypointing tees and pins. I'll print it out and frame it along with his scorecard as the gift. It will be interesting to see how far he walks (zig-zags) as opposed to the posted yardage of his course and in relation to his score.

Happy caching, Olar

wavey.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Olar:

obtain an aerial photo of his golf course, caddy a round for him carrying my GPS to record his actual walking track and download it to the scanned-in aerial, also waypointing tees and pins

What software are you using to marry aerial photos with gps waypoints/routes?

Also, good source of (free) areial photos?

quote:
Originally posted by lansink5mn:

What software are you using to marry aerial photos with gps waypoints/routes?

I have Fugawi mapping software. www.fugawi.com With it I can import various maps and aerial photo images that are in the typical formats like TIF, BMP, JPG etc. Some map information (projection, datum)is required as well as 3 waypoints in order to calibrate.

quote:

Unfortunately in Canada we do not have a good free source of aerials. I believe that I can purchase from the Government map store, however I am hoping that the golf course has had a privately shot aerial and will share it with me.

Olar

wavey.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Us 5 Camp:

You can also grab aerial photos and topos on our website http://www.lostoutdoors.com

GlobalXplorer (provides aerials for some mapping sites) has some really new color Iconos imagery online as well. If you don't mind a bit watermark in the image, you can get that for free from their site as well.

-jjf